Starcraft Andrew's 20.62-3 Starcraft Outback

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Wow I will remember to never go away with you lol !!! Glad you didn`t cop to much damage and hope next time is less stresful too.

Scott mccaig

Nov 11, 2013
Andrew, I heard about that storm and saw some vision of a couple of van parks and the damage it caused. How good is that fibreglass, to go through that and come out the way you did is a testament to the van. I will run a hose over mine when I get to check for leaks. You must take some comfort that you and the family will be able to enjoy future trips after that one.

Good luck with the car.

Scott

Reactions: twscoot

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.
Hi @twscoot great looking van, congrats.

Struth those hail stones were big!!! Glad the van stood up to it though (sorry about the Jeep dent). I remember our salesman taking a ball hammer to a piece of the cladding in his office saying "this stuff will taking a beating from hail stones the size of tennis balls". Thanks for putting his theory to the test...cause I didn't really want to try it :)

Reactions: twscoot

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Quick update on a couple of warranty issues resolved today…
The leak was resealed (I'd already attended to it!)
And the problem with the 'snowflake' Winegard antenna - was simply the coax was wired up incorrectly behind the wall! (Got to love the quality control…. so frustrating as the product is overall so damn good and value for money).
Tested at home today and signal strength which was 5% (according to my TV) is now 99%.
Going away soon for some real holidays - let's hope the hail stays away!
Cheers
Andrew
PS: the worst of the dents in the car will cost $150 to fix when I get the time.

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Man, I really feel for you. Reminds me of Christmas Day a couple of years back.
image.jpg
image.jpg

No cover for the one week old Territory. Standing under the porch of my wife's grandparents place watching it get hammered I had to keep telling myself "Its a company car, it's a company car!"

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Hi All
Hope your Christamas holidays are going well.
If you have a look at the first post of this thread you'll notice we have a flattish front to our van with two windows.
Is there any reason anyone can think of as to why a Fiamma bike rack couldn't be fitted here. I m thinking this sort of thing which is usually mounted to the rear.
http://caravansplus.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2650
Reason I want it at the front is to keep my weight forward. I'm not keen of any more weight at the rear.
It would also be adapted to accommodate a tandem bike (there's a longer wheel braket available) which I use with my ten hear old son who is unable to ride a bike on his own. At the moment we put bikes on the roof of the car and the tandem in the van which is not ideal.
Cheers
Andrew

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I guess the other thing is will you be able to open the front window covers or is that not to much of a problem when the bike is on the rack?

Also will it mount between the windows ok?

It looks like a good solution for you though if it works :thumb:

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Couldn't help myself....

Had some blue LED needing a home. So I added it to the 'bar' on the side fold out table. My wife hates it but it makes me laugh when I put it on for special occasions. Powered by the 12v outdoor socket.

PS The astute viewer will also notice the tv I mounted to the side of the van at the perfect viewing height....

image.jpg

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
I like to think of it as a cool jazz look! Took the guitar on my current trip and with some iPad music to read it's all good..... Now to just learn those very f&@"@/!?!kn complex jazz chords!

fugs291

Apr 22, 2013
Western Sydney
Hi Andrew we have just purchased the same model in the touring model at the current Caravan & Camping Super Show. Did you van come pre wired for a rear view camera, did you get the inner spring matteress for the bunk beds from Jayco or after market, the salesman at the show didn't think we could get them for the bunks? Loved your idea of putting the extra access points under the bottom bunk.

Cheers, Jason

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Hi Jason. Congratulations. We are absolutely thrilled with the way this van works for us. Having everything made up and ready to go makes it all very easy. Our recent road trip (see my Bourke/lightning Ridge trip report) was great towing this as our accommodation.
No. The van wasn't wired for a camera.
We did specify an inner spring for the bunks but they would only supply one for the bottom bed. We had one custom made for our old Expanda bunk van and although it is a little small use that the top bunk. In hindsite, the Jayco supplied ones are so tight fitting, a smaller custom made one on the bottom would be the way to go.
The extra access storage space under the bunk is fantastic. The Hatches are 600mm wide and easily fit tables and chairs. Don't forget the drawers under the bunk beds too and an extra drawer under the cafe seat as I think they only come with one. This all works very well.
What would I change? Not much at this stage.
Any other questions, just ask.
Cheers
Andrew