Starcraft Andrew's 20.62-3 Starcraft Outback

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Well it's arrived and we are pretty happy!
Took a punt on a layout we hadn't seen in the flesh but after our 16.4-2 Expanda we knew what we wanted. Plenty of floor space and all the creature comforts. Innerspring mattresses, sprung bed bases, power and 12volt everywhere, drifter control panel (now to just tidy up the wiring...).
Extra hatch under the rear bunk works a treat too.
Ibis airconditioning is very quiet and effective.
With Solar, some extra cabinetry and built in beds all round ATM is 2675kg. No problem for the Jeep Grand Cherokee on the way home but will be keeping an eye on the van brakes as I think there should be a little more grab in them.
I know everyone likes so pictures so here you go! It even fits the Weber baby Q200.
Can't wait for the first trip away.
Cheers!
Andrew
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG

8a.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG
11.JPG
12.JPG
13.JPG

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Looks good mate, what did the plated tare weight end up, I see they've changed the ensuite set up since we looked at them, think that corner handbasin takes some of the standing turn room.

room to fit the webber with the lid on, just:thumb:

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Tare of this set up ex factory with everything weighed including battery and solar (empty tanks of course) was 2200kg.
Had a lot of fun today getting everything taken out of the Expanda back in.
Cheers
Andrew.

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Wow!
That's a hot looking Van!

Single bed allround too - great idea!
I think this decision to go single beds is the key to making it work for a family. There's still the room you expect in an Expanda. Probably the compromise is the lounge area but then again the singe beds can be used like a lounge. Big pillows on the way....
Cheers
Andrew

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Hi Andrew. Lovely van there. Probably my favourite van in their line up just about. Can I ask? Did you think about the one with the fold up beds and can you get a bed converter for the dining table? Every one I have seen has curved cushions so just curious. Looks like low height webers are the go for the storage area, something to think about. Thanks for posting.

Cheers Geoff

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Hi Geoff.

Not sure which one you mean with the fold up bed (Expanda?) but having been there decided we wanted everything set up from the get go.

There was a Starcraft model some time ago (19 foot I think) that had a fold up internal double bed and we considered that at the time but I think this one works best for us.

I am sure you could make a bed converter work for the cafe seating but think this would be customised and need to account for the curved cushions.

The weber BBQ is a standard 200 which happily does a roast for a large family.

Cheers
Andrew

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Andrew, the one I was thinking of is the same as yours but has the 2 fold up bunks and the back door on the opposite side so you could put bikes in etc.

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Ahh! I was on the wrong track. Sorry.

We decided on the made up bunks again for the same reason. Everything is ready to go.

The kids were very keen on the cubby spots they get plus we have inner spring mattresses on both beds. The bottom bunk also has a sprung slat base.

12 volt and 240v outlets for each bunk and separate bed lamps too. They also have curtains and separate windows with block out blinds.

The cupboard at the foot of the bed also has 6 shelves in two cupboards. Two extra custom drawers underneath add to the extra storage you don't get with the fold up bunks. The trunk hatch is huge and gives you acess to a second very large boot.

All this added up to the configuration we now have.

Our bikes go on the roof of the car using Thule racks.

Cheers
Andrew.

Reactions: macca

Scott mccaig

Nov 11, 2013
Andrew, great choice van that looks fantastic. We are waiting on the triple bunk version which should arrive 20 December. Had a triple bunk royal flair with no shower or toilet. Spent a lot of time researching and could not go past the OB Starcraft. Like you I put all the fruit on it and will spend Xmas at Agnes Water. Scott

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Hi Scott.
Agnes is a great location although the camping sites have changed a bit over the last year.
Spent the last two weekends fitting the new van out to get ready to go away for its first trip this weekend provided I can get away from work.
Stereo is great once you work out how to turn the loudness on and give it a bass boost, lights are excellent and I scotch-guarded anything that looked like being weetbixed or miloed....! TV is fitted and the kids have made up their beds complete with soft toys. The hatches are large enough for our table so the only thing inside are two (very) comfortable chairs. Single beds up front are very comfortable and every time someone came over to have a look I found the floor space 'Expanda like'.
Can't wait to get away.
Cheers and good luck with the wait...
Andrew

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
So where do I start.....

Took the van away for its first voyage this weekend to the sunshine coast here in Qld.

Yes we knew it was going to be a stormy weekend but all was good in the world.....

OK, first problem, the Bruce highway was blocked. Not unusual for a Friday night. The first 5 km took 60 minutes....

But hey! The set-up was going to be easy. Full van remember.

Stopped for Pizza just prior to our destination. And the 105km took 3 hours.....

But we arrived late to a fabulous drive through site. Couldn't be easier to set up.

The Jeep towed beautifully and the brakes I was unsure about bedded in very well in the first 75 km of travel, much of which was at less than 10km/h.

And on the Saturday morning after a good sleep, all was fabulous..... (read on...)
Sunny Days.JPG

A trip to the beach, back for a BBQ.....

New van great.

New car great.

Dark clouds...

BOM radar open....

She's going to miss us...

And then all hell broke lose!.....

The first piece of ice was much larger than a tennis ball...

Then another... and another....

They were like missiles Not a huge in number but Sh!t they were big.

And they fell hard... And smashed into hail sizes you would consider normal.

"Get the kids inside!" Every scrambled...

Yep. New van. New car. First trip...

No time for photos. (These has been in 25 degree heat for 30 minutes and had melted somewhat...)

Hail in hand.JPG

Car reversed under the awning...

Bonnet sticking out....

Rubber mats over the exposed bits of the car...

Folded up the chairs and the them over the bonnet too...

Hail in Hand 2.JPG

Then the van started to leak!

Just above the door. Drip... drip...

(I later found the culprit and sealed it for good)

Leak.JPG

Just a small hole. But enough. Sloppy work but no problem. Job done now.

The park took a battering too. Broken tiles and this skylight.

Skylight.JPG

And remember that bit of bonnet sticking out....?

Bang! Got me. Just two marks though. This is the worst. (Should be able to do a paintless repair....)

Car Damage.JPG

And after half an hour it finished...

Now. How did the van hold up? Very well. There was not a lot of wind and the van was lined up to take the weather head on (with its fibreglass front) so... no damage! The fibreglass rook and solar cell were fine. And we were all shaken. Slightly stirred. Many vans with damage and anything with an aluminium roof took a dent. The odd sun weathered van skylight smashed.

Today we packed up early and came home...

Jeep and Starcraft.JPG

And there was peace in the world!

(PS Apart from the leak and a dodgy antennae which I will ask about another time, the van was fantastic. I was calmer than I ever thought possible in these circumstances and I think amongst all the challenges others in the world face how lucky we are to be able to do what we do).

Thanks for listening!

Can't wait for our next trip. But I'll request something less dramatic!

Cheers
Andrew

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Gee @twscoot what a full on event. New car and new van you came out of it not too badly. Poor old JEEP copped it. That hail was huge.
The good old dodgey antenna. I knew what that felt like until we went with a SAT dish.
Thanks for the good read Andrew.
Cheers Deano

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Bloody hell Twscoot, glad you came away relatively unscathed. I would have been freakin out. Good thinking to put the Jeep under the awning. Still feel for you with those few dings. Your right though, in the scheme of things at least you can look back on what happened and have a chuckle.