Air bag Suspension Option

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
They will have to tell fibs on the compliance plate so you can carry stuff inside the van soon...........................I like the idea but more to go wrong, had similar on trucks/coaches and while it was handy it was a big problem when some stupid little connector or sensor failed...air bag leaks, equalizer breaks, great fun when everything leans to one side even though the good book says it won't.............
Yep big pain in the butt, had one go the other day at work, one minute all good next minute I'm leaning to the left , but no obvious leaks, so guess it was an equaliser, used the dash control to sort it which work for a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drover and bigcol

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Lol you sound like my dear old dad when fuel injection was replacing carburetors all doom and gloom.
airbag has been an option on vans for ages with cruisemastr and it gets a huge wrap espicially around ride quality. We distribute x ray machines and they must be transported on a air bag truck. I think it’s a great innovation espicially to keep your trailer low whilst touring and packing away.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Lol you sound like my dear old dad when fuel injection was replacing carburetors all doom and gloom.
airbag has been an option on vans for ages with cruisemastr and it gets a huge wrap espicially around ride quality. We distribute x ray machines and they must be transported on a air bag truck. I think it’s a great innovation espicially to keep your trailer low whilst touring and packing away.
So ..... do they harden up when you pump them up?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Don't get me wrong, love em on trucks, plus injection and electronic ignition are the greatest.........Van builders installation leaves a lot to be desired .

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC

.? Like a tyre more air firmer ride
Im trying to filter through any real world actual benefit against another pumped up "must have new bling thing". Is there any value applying these things to caravans, or is it another nitrogen tyre wank.

Im just working the numbers, "kicking the tyres here" and trying to find the value. Optioned up in a new van air bags are very expensive and retro fitting them completely out of any sane economic reasoning. Its easy to find info product info, buts its difficult to find objective reviews. The only review I could find $hit canned the air bags in caravans, but one review is hardly conclusive.

I looked over my mates retro fitted air bags last weekend, and it didn't really appear to be like pumping up tyres at all. It was a rubber sleeve with a constant weight load that was just using air to raise and lower that static resistance, and appeared much different to the completely enclosed resistance that would be present in tyres a compounding proportional pressure and hardness would build up.

On top of all that, with an off road van hardening the suspension to get that required ground clearance is kinda the opposite of what we'd be aiming for.

Going back to my original question, is air compression lineal or proportional. Just one of those little things that raised an eyebrow and fulled a passing weekend interest when I looked at my mates van.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
well we know air bag lift has worked for Land Rover for years and is generally reliable. yes anything can fail whether air bags, air lines or compressor.
But with a jayco budget and QA... might skip that one for a bit.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Let’s face it off-road van clearance is a wank. It’s a result of the spring travel required on independent giving it the height ! It’s not required for ground clearance unless your making gall boy movies. Oh also the macho look. I’d much rather tow with a low profile and have a supple ride over corregations (which again don’t require height) and then just zip it up for the odd ferry departure or oh don't be rude turn around decision.

Never bothered checking out the reviews, heard from a couple who did the gibb and forgot to take there tea cups off the table and they stayed there ! And know what it’s like on trucks.

As for complication I’d much rather sort the airbag system than that stupid canbus lighting system Jayco have ! Good luck working that out or getting a Jayco genius too , But that’s me.

Reactions: Drover

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Im trying to filter through any real world actual benefit against another pumped up "must have new bling thing". Is there any value applying these things to caravans, or is it another nitrogen tyre wank.

Im just working the numbers, "kicking the tyres here" and trying to find the value. Optioned up in a new van air bags are very expensive and retro fitting them completely out of any sane economic reasoning. Its easy to find info product info, buts its difficult to find objective reviews. The only review I could find $hit canned the air bags in caravans, but one review is hardly conclusive.

I looked over my mates retro fitted air bags last weekend, and it didn't really appear to be like pumping up tyres at all. It was a rubber sleeve with a constant weight load that was just using air to raise and lower that static resistance, and appeared much different to the completely enclosed resistance that would be present in tyres a compounding proportional pressure and hardness would build up.

On top of all that, with an off road van hardening the suspension to get that required ground clearance is kinda the opposite of what we'd be aiming for.

Going back to my original question, is air compression lineal or proportional. Just one of those little things that raised an eyebrow and fulled a passing weekend interest when I looked at my mates van.

it’ll have an optimum load v pressure point crusty. That’s why retro fitting would be difficult I’d think. But the bags do offer a huge window

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
they replaced Carbies with fuel injection...................???????????

when...............
last petrol engined cars I worked on had - carbies.......

Are you really serious ???

:) yeppers :)

1989 GQ TB42 Petrol Gas (carby......)
that is the last petrol engine'd car I worked on - about 4 years ago

(mind you, with an Automag to give it spark twas a good beastie- tow ANYTHING)

Reactions: Crusty181

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
and forgot to take there tea cups off the table and they stayed there

They were probably holding on

1-POT-3-CUPS-Cartoon-Beauty-And-The-Beast-Tea-Set-Mrs-Potts-Chip-Coffee.jpg_640x640.jpg