Dec 6, 2015
Toowoomba
I wonder when this will be a option across the hole range

upload_2017-11-9_7-31-34.png

Reactions: Drover and 1DayIll

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
They will have to tell fibs on the compliance plate so you can carry stuff inside the van soon...........................I like the idea but more to go wrong, had similar on trucks/coaches and while it was handy it was a big problem when some stupid little connector or sensor failed...air bag leaks, equalizer breaks, great fun when everything leans to one side even though the good book says it won't.............

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
the compressor and actuators are not light
the current design of the chassis and frame work is nearly at its weight limit for structural integrity and life

why is it that a 1979 23' Viscount dual axle was only 1200kgs
and a 2017 18' jayco Expanda is 2200kgs

because of all the "new" and "improved" junk added
30-40 years ago, even a 23' van would have a small 3 way fridge - not a two door fridge freezer unit
most were internally made out of Balsa and other light weight materials - now we have chip board and laminated panels

the chassis design has not changed at allover time to compensate for all the added weight we (as paying public) are expected to want and need.....

dishwasher
washing machine
dryer
full sized fridge
Aircon

geeeez, I wonder why Vans are getting heavier

Reactions: Drover and Delano

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I should add

the JTech suspension is something like 250kgs heavier than a standard axle and springs

and you really need that type of suspension while your driving
but not allowed to be in you van while moving - to appreciate its use...................................

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
With the theoretical complete replacement of coils to bags such as that Silverline offering, does the raising and lowering of the bags harden and soften the ride or is the effect limited primarily only to the height adjustable advantage. With extended travel on rough outback and corrugated roads etc softer, say tyres, is generally the better option, but with the bags softer would mean lower which isnt ideal.

Does volume effect the compression ratios of the air, ie will a small volume of air compress at the identical ratio to a large volume. Getting a bit scientific, hey? Will an air bag be the same relative hardness at 1/4 volume as it is at 3/4 volume, because if it hardens up would that not be the opposite of what you'd want on rough roads

Last edited:
Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
It will become the must have for the Blingers but in 5 years time I bet the resale will have dropped as the failure rate will increase with age, the units sensors and brain are the weak points usually..............I wonder if it has a lock position for those times the electronics fail.

Reactions: bigcol

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
you will ll never know because your not allowed to be inside a Van that is travelling

I will because Ive been in my van (shhhh) whilst the Princess towing it along a track out of a NP. The speed was relatively low, and the track was very tame in comparison to the tracks we'd been on, and I wanted to see first hand what was going on in the van after our travel buddies van surprisingly took some internal damage on the tame track in, and one rode inside their van to see why. Very big mistake, very big mistake. It was so loud, violent and very unnerving in the van I was astounded the bloody thing stayed together, considering the track we were on was nothing. It felt like the Princess had diverted onto a worse track and was traveling at double the speed that she was.

When you do that final casual check and close that van door before driving off, only to stop later in the day to naively find everything just as you left it I can assure you that what went on in between, that you dont see, is freaken horrendous.

Back to the air bags, I will know if the ride hardens and softens as soon as I find out if air compression is lineal or proportional ... preliminary research suggests lineal. Ive gone all scientifsic, with the risk of expossin my hypor-intellegance (Im known for my exposures ;))

Eddii

Jun 28, 2017
Burua Central QLD 4680
I will because Ive been in my van (shhhh) whilst the Princess towing it along a track out of a NP. The speed was relatively low, and the track was very tame in comparison to the tracks we'd been on, and I wanted to see first hand what was going on in the van after our travel buddies van surprisingly took some internal damage on the tame track in, and one rode inside their van to see why. Very big mistake, very big mistake. It was so loud, violent and very unnerving in the van I was astounded the bloody thing stayed together, considering the track we were on was nothing. It felt like the Princess had diverted onto a worse track and was traveling at double the speed that she was.

When you do that final casual check and close that van door before driving off, only to stop later in the day to naively find everything just as you left it I can assure you that what went on in between, that you dont see, is freaken horrendous.

Back to the air bags, I will know if the ride hardens and softens as soon as I find out if air compression is lineal or proportional ... preliminary research suggests lineal. Ive gone all scientifsic, with the risk of expossin my hypor-intellegance (Im known for my exposures ;))

You should do a comparison and hop in a van with airbags fitted to see if it's waaaaay smoother ;):)

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I wonder if it has a lock position for those times the electronics fail.

dont be silly

in 1960 - Mercedes introduced a flash thing (that they hoped you would never ever use)
a cable and handle in the boot for the sunroof - incase it (the elektriks) died or would not work - you just went to the boot and used the winder

never ever seen that on ANY other car

yes, now-a-days the elektriks are far far better than the 60's (think Lucas - the Prince of Darkness) so it is no longer needed

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Some vehicles have a tap fitted to each air bag assembly, good idea so when a line pops or something else carks it, you can dury rig to refill the bag then shut it off, had always wondered what 2 bags locked in would be like when the other 6 were floating and hitting the bends, no change...............unlike when bags blow and you have to plug the line (because your spare joiners are at home) and ride the rest of the way slightly wonky with lots of fun on bends......................
Go thru a culvert way too fast and empty, spit air bag onto roadside, now thats fun.
I think I'll stick to Big Mals analogue suspension, fixable by welding, fence wire or big tree branch.....................Harry Butler style.

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
@Crusty181... you've destroyed my ignorant bliss. I was told the inside of a van when moving was just like travelling in a bus. Relatively smooth. Not at all jarring. Were you sitting on the Thetford perhaps?

Reactions: Crusty181

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@Crusty181... you've destroyed my ignorant bliss. I was told the inside of a van when moving was just like travelling in a bus. Relatively smooth. Not at all jarring. Were you sitting on the Thetford perhaps?
Yup, just like this bus

guiyang-china-passenger-buses-crash-and-roll-over-01.jpg

I started off on the couch; spent a short time on the sink, the floor and my head. Unfortunately I never bounced within contact of the Thetford, but ironically $hit myself anyway :)