Exterior A suggestion for checking important weights....

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Now that I have some free time I can look at this again, but first off every one looks from the wrong angle start at the GCM of the vehicle it is the base line of what you can do..............................max load of tug dictates what you have left to tow, easy peazy.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Hey @Dobbie , V2 works well, most impressed it should cover everything for the pedantic weights and measure's crowd, even though few will fully understand the whole concept until they realize that data from any sort of plate or book is not relevant, each vehicle has subtle changes, tare is not really important until you figure out what tare actually is..................................tare is not what the manufacturer assumed.............tare is really what your vehicle is when sitting in the driveway unloaded and ready to load.............ie: with a tank of fuel, with a bullbar, tow bar etc.. they depict the real world not some sales pitch, the same goes for towing weights, the manufacturer figures are not real world..................................Why do I say this ???? well when you drive heavies, you weigh your rig before you load, it has full fuel, your body in the seat as well as all your junk then when you put your freight on you weigh again, you have a set tonnage to keep below and thats it, nothing the manufacturer states is taken into consideration and at a possible $1,000 per tonne fine you like to be on the money....

So folks @Dobbies sheet is good but use a weighbridge ticket to fill in the boxes then your answer will more than likely be near the truth...........your tally plates are fiction..............................

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Thanks, drover!

As said, the spreadsheet was set up for me to check my weights as things change on van or car. I like to have some idea of our margins.

But I think it's best use would be for those contemplating van sizes, options and how well their tow vehicle fits within the parameters set by manufacturers.

It's not meant to be prescriptive but to give some understanding.

There have been many questions about weights....and even more about adding more and more options without a clear understanding of the effect on payloads.

:amen:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I think it's a brilliant bit of work @Dobbie and will be using it myself, even though it may scare me.................it is a "How long is a piece of string?" subject as there will always be that little bit more info...........................rating allowances for tyres and suspension ??????? I think it's load to 90% of stated ratings, so that throws another bit into the ring........especially as some vans the tyre, rim and axle rating can be near the limit . My old Tardis had 900kg tyres fitted new so when loaded, 1800kg, it was maxed out................and only had 1ton rated rims....until I changed them all.

Need to have the spreadsheet as an easy to get at sticky on the main page........................Moderator guru's.................?????????

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I think it's a brilliant bit of work @Dobbie and will be using it myself, even though it may scare me.................it is a "How long is a piece of string?" subject as there will always be that little bit more info...........................rating allowances for tyres and suspension ??????? I think it's load to 90% of stated ratings, so that throws another bit into the ring........especially as some vans the tyre, rim and axle rating can be near the limit . My old Tardis had 900kg tyres fitted new so when loaded, 1800kg, it was maxed out................and only had 1ton rated rims....until I changed them all.

Need to have the spreadsheet as an easy to get at sticky on the main page........................Moderator guru's.................?????????

Hey Drover. I saw the photo of your colo packed up ready to leave. I'm surprised you could waddle! It must have been a big shed you cleaned out.

It'll be much lighter when you've built your new shed.

How's the planning going?

:fencing:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Ha,ha @Dobbie ,you should have seen the old HiLux which is loaded up with all my tools in my old neighbours place, it's nearly bending in the middle will have to be unloaded onto 2 vehicles when I move it up here..................
We are going great guns, shed is waiting on council and next week we sit down and finalise stuff with house builder, so July should see shed and end of October the house should be near finished, soon as we sign off on everything we will hit the road for a month before swinging back to check on things..........................marked out the buildings with marker paint on the grass, going from 5 acres to under 1/4 acre is going to be strange, but can run to the beach.............................
Surprisingly the van dropped the back of the Ute 15mm when hooked up and the ute loaded up dropped about 10mm, upgraded suspension made all the difference.

I reckon I was close to my 6ton max, towed really well and generally not a problem , fuel gauge moved quicker though.