A Frame basket in lieu of Spare tyre

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
I don't know what other models have but on the WnP, and it is an OB, I'd have preferred they had used a tube of Sikaflex to mount it than they way the factory does it. At least then I could have more easily removed it and done it better with less cutting, welding and drilling. Anyway I was about to start a thread of the mods we've been up to and I'll post a pic of the way I did it and why, soon.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Bought my wire today, hopefully get a chance to give it a go on the weekend.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Some good solutions to a common Jayco problem. When ordering my 14.44-4 and also when i have priced other models, i always asked about moving the front mounted spare and they say it throws the weight out of whack when towing, but i think they just don't like changing the design. I enjoy seeing members come up with their own solutions to a crazy design flaw, love the basket idea :thumb:

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Well I got it made. Had to make in two halfs to fit in. Problem is its stainless and I can't weld stainless ATM. I am going to try and get some "p" shaped clips and screw it in at a few points. I really just want it to carry a muddy hose or floor mat. Maybe a few pieces of kindling.

image.jpg

From that marker line back will be a box covering it so access will be limited .

Reactions: Marv_mart

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
:clap2: Great work. Assume your gas bottles will reside in the box. As you can tell by my pics, my main aim was to get two spare Jerry Can holders safely at the front for our outback treks. Fuel stops few and far between. Will use my basket for annexe etc. Will you have enough clearance with the spare slung underneath at the back? My fear was when going through dips on outback roads it would scrape and damage tyre. Thought about fold-down rear bumper bracket for spare as some others have done?

jimgoose

Mar 31, 2011
Mernda, Vic
Thanks for the great idea Merv. I used to just strap the generator to the spare tyre but it was not a good set up so decided to pinch your basket idea. Now I keep it as well as the fuel cans outside the van which is great.
Turned out really good and I'm glad I followed your advice in doing a cardboard template first or I would have wasted a sheet of weld mesh by making it too wide.

Thinking I will sling the spare under the van rather than make a new rear bumber.

Attachments

• DSC_0285.JPG
    DSC_0285.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 238
  • DSC_0286.JPG
    DSC_0286.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 273
Reactions: dagree and achjimmy

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Thanks for the great idea Merv. I used to just strap the generator to the spare tyre but it was not a good set up so decided to pinch your basket idea. Now I keep it as well as the fuel cans outside the van which is great.
Turned out really good and I'm glad I followed your advice in doing a cardboard template first or I would have wasted a sheet of weld mesh by making it too wide.

Thinking I will sling the spare under the van rather than make a new rear bumber.
Did you see my finished design?
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

jimgoose

Mar 31, 2011
Mernda, Vic
I did see that and it looks great but for us it's not necessary at this stage.If it comes to a point where we need to haul more fuel would definitely look at making a similar set-up.

Last edited:

Dingo

Mar 18, 2015
Camden
Final photos of the Jerry Can holders and Basket in the old Spare tyre space!
!View attachment 21001 View attachment 21002 View attachment 21003
Will put plastic tubing on the JC security chains so that they don't damage the paint work.
Used a Wattyl kill rust primer and then Wattyl kill rust Epoxy Gloss Enamel as a top coat, makes it look exactly like the rest of the Galvanized 'A' frame. Will probably have to recoat it periodically especially where the spot welds were used to attach the wire basket to the frame. Close ups of the wire basket can be posted if anyone wants to see detail.
Hank

Hi mate how you going just wanted to ask what size tubing you used and if possible any measurements cheers

Reactions: G Daddy

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
My son did the JC framework for me. The JC holders themselves were bought from a caravan supplier.
Tubing used was standard 20mmx20mm? (3/4")
He did cut a small slot into the frame so that the JC holders sat flat and also welded the chain lengths on.
Check the photos on my thread. He cut and bent the bars to suit so was sort of made to measure.
He also made sure that they were low enough so that the bed could still fold down with JC's in place, and still have enough clearance to access the mesh tray under neath.
By all means ask more questions if you need more detail.
I can go to the van storage facility (UStoreIt) if you need more detailed photos.
Cheers Marv

Reactions: bigcol

Dingo

Mar 18, 2015
Camden
My son did the JC framework for me. The JC holders themselves were bought from a caravan supplier.
Tubing used was standard 20mmx20mm? (3/4")
He did cut a small slot into the frame so that the JC holders sat flat and also welded the chain lengths on.
Check the photos on my thread. He cut and bent the bars to suit so was sort of made to measure.
He also made sure that they were low enough so that the bed could still fold down with JC's in place, and still have enough clearance to access the mesh tray under neath.
By all means ask more questions if you need more detail.
I can go to the van storage facility (UStoreIt) if you need more detailed photos.
Cheers Marv

Hi Marv thanks heaps for your reply back will hopefully make a start next weekend cheers