A Frame basket in lieu of Spare tyre

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Some of you may have read my concerns re the spare tyre in the A-frame and how difficult it was to change the spare. My solution was to add a bracket to the rear bumper and mount the spare there.
I have started a mod to place a basket in the space now available so that I can store my Annexe when travelling. My son will complete the job by spot welding the basket in place then mount two arching cross beams to mount two Jerry Cans for spare fuel all done so that the front bed is still clear of the JCs.
Stage one complete.
Photos:
1. measuring and drawing up the plans
2. Creating a cardboard template to make sure it would work.
3. Template
4. Cut basket in place, held in by nylon Zip ties until I can get it to my son's work for the spot welding.
Minor adjustments might still be needed but all looks good ATM

Will post more once JC brackets are made up and installed.
Hank

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 811
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    902 KB · Views: 735
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    889.2 KB · Views: 831
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 871
Last edited:

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Had to make sure the basket kept clear of brake cables hence the angled sides.

Last edited:

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Final stages of draw bar/ A frame basket and JC holders. All I have to do now is give it anti rust treat ment with Galv primer and top coat. Looks good. #2 son did a great job IMHO.
What do you other Panda users think?
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
All ready for our big trip up north in July
Hank

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Brilliant, been going to do similar myself better now I have proof of what it looks like and I love the CAD design, (Cardboard Aided Design) use it myself regularly.

Reactions: The Wadamses

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Final photos of the Jerry Can holders and Basket in the old Spare tyre space!
!image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Will put plastic tubing on the JC security chains so that they don't damage the paint work.
Used a Wattyl kill rust primer and then Wattyl kill rust Epoxy Gloss Enamel as a top coat, makes it look exactly like the rest of the Galvanized 'A' frame. Will probably have to recoat it periodically especially where the spot welds were used to attach the wire basket to the frame. Close ups of the wire basket can be posted if anyone wants to see detail.
Hank

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hank that's great I have been measuring mine up. What gauge mesh did you use? Did you bend it over some wood with a hammer?

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Bought it at Bunnings. They had sheets of medium mesh I think 1500 x 1500 for around $45.
Largest length across the back making room for the fold up sides was 1360mm. Mesh size is 15mm x 15mm and bendable by using a straight board bending and hitting gradually with a hammer.
Thicker gauge would have required an industrial bender I think. This was completely a home handyman job.
I do strongly suggest making a mock up (cardboard) to make sure you have got it right before cutting.
In hindsight, I should have left a little bit more overlap on the sides so that it would have been easier to lock the fold up sides together #2 son used a TIG welder and spot welded the seams thank goodness.
Sure you have seen my earlier photos.
I double folded the front edge to give it added strength, that's where I will be inserting my canvas bags that hold my Annexe. Please feel free to ask more ?s if you wish more info.
Photos tell most of the story.
Hank

Last edited:

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Hank that's great I have been measuring mine up. What gauge mesh did you use? Did you bend it over some wood with a hammer?
If you did one for your 16.49, please post photos!
What did you do with your spare assuming you had a similar issue to me.

Last edited:

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Thanks Hank

The spare is going under the back on a winch frame. Iam relocating the bottles forward to fit a box. Figure I may as well line out the tray to hold the odd bit of fire wood etc

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Might be able to. Need the strong rear bumper as provided on the OB versions of the Expanda. Smaller round bumper not strong enough.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
I used a bracket similar to this for my 14.4-5 OB. I don't have a rear bed canopy.
image.jpg
Others on this forum have used a fold down version so that it does not interfere with their rear bed.
Pictures can be found elsewhere on the forum.

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Might be able to. Need the strong rear bumper as provided on the OB versions of the Expanda. Smaller round bumper not strong enough.
The bumper may be stronger but are the mounting points up to it?
Having just finished up making a rear bumper for our WnP I had to do a strengthening job on the mounts to ensure that it just didn't fall off at some time. Jayco wouldn't provide a bumper even though they have the mounting tubes on the chassis anyway, which is probably just as well as the tubes have very little weld attaching them.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Anchor points on the OB are definitely very strong and 'up to it'. Had it checked by reputed caravan accessory supplier prior to purchase. Double Bolted onto main chassis. Mounting tubes have secure welds.
Have already road tested this setup