18' Series 18.58.2 OB Purchase advice

Bennov

Feb 27, 2016
Ringwood, vic
Reactions: bigcol

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Yes, I was thinking along similar lines. Just wasn't sure if it was a gimmick or actually a high quality ESC.
Though the same at first, but then thought about the size n weight of what we were pulling. Found it worked when I decided to make my own road over a round about. I think it's standard on an outback now, but when we bought ours we paid. Worth it though.

Bennov

Feb 27, 2016
Ringwood, vic
Afternoon all, down at Anglesea caravan park in the old swan. Dreaming about the 18 coming in June. A couple of questions I'm pondering.
Portable fridge storage and security. Where do people keep their portable fridge? How is it secured or do you bring it in and out of van. Makes me nervous. Maybe I could custom the front tool box and have slide out rail. Don't really want on the back of the tug.
My tug is a work car. 2015 colarado with 7 pin connector. Don't really want to fit a permanent brake kit or make anything that's irreversible. Any suggestions? A mate runs a caravan hire company and the setup he provides would do the job, buts not an inertia based controller which I'm not that keen on.

Thanks for all the advise to date.
have a read of @The Goodwins story
Very funny stuff!!

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
We've done lots of pondering while away in a Swan as well.

That led to the Expanda!

Re fridge: we always had to carry one when we had the Swan but now find the 150l fridge in the van is enough and it saves the need to carry another. When we carried one, we initially did the carry from the car to the awning area once or twice, then just left it in the car and ran a 240v or 12v cable from van to fridge.

Not ideal but it worked.

I hate lifting a loaded fridge out from the car and will do almost anything to avoid it.

Security while it was in the awning? A chain covered in plastic hose and a padlock ...attached to step or wheel.

From what I've noticed recently, most people leave their fridges in vehicle and don't seem to worry too much about security. I guess it depends on where you are.

When you say "permanent brake kit" what do you mean? The van is a heavy beast and anything less than a good brake system on the car is fraught with danger. So not sure what you intend...I may have got the wrong impression.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Bennov

Feb 27, 2016
Ringwood, vic
Thanks for the feedback @Dobbie
now find the 150l fridge in the van is enough and it saves the need to carry another.
I'm sure the 175ltr fridge will be enough for food and drink, it's the slab of beer and wine I'm nervous about. I don't want to be lifting an esky or portable fridge in and out of van or back of ute.

The van is a heavy beast and anything less than a good brake system on the car is fraught with danger.
Yeah, totally agree. By permanent I mean an installation that is permanent. I'd like to be able to remove from one vehicle and install on the next car without any irreversible damage to vehicle or spending days under the bonnet.

Cheers

Reactions: bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Thought that's what you meant!

If it helps, we had one vehicle ...Navara....which dragged the Swan with the usual brake controller, redarc isolator etc and 12 pin plug.

After we collected the expanda, we decided to change vehicles so got the auto electrician to remove the brake controller, redarc etc from one vehicle and fit into the new one.

Easy job and not too expensive...not sure of cost but less than $200 I think and that was with extra 12v sockets added at the same time.

It was far easier than we anticipated and something you could do yourself if you know what to do.

I didn't!

Also, about 10 beers plus fit easily in the door of our 150l fridge.....I'm sure you could get more into your bigger model.

Just put some non slip stuff under the cans to protect the alum rubbing on fridge.

Have fun with your planning.

Reactions: bigcol and Bennov

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Hi @Bennov . We have the large 2 door fridge in the van and carry 2 x 40L Engels as well. We chain them up to the step or chassis when we get to the location.
Due to the fact there are 6 of us, we can't have them in the car, so they travel in the van. Yes they are heavy to get out of the van, but we use them for all the iceblocks,fish (that get caught....hopefully) and frozen food.

Reactions: bigcol and Bennov

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Where do people keep their portable fridge? How is it secured or do you bring it in and out of van.
@Benno We are lucky as most trips are just the two of us and we travel with our 50L Waeco in the back of the Prado. If loaded before putting in the car I remove the packed basket and carry an empty fridge out, put it on the slide out tray, then bring the basket out and put in the fridge.

When staying more than a week we sit it under the awning/annex (With a plastic covered chain and lock same as @Dobbie ) But on weekenders the fridge stays in the back of the Prado.

Reactions: Bennov and bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
If loaded before putting in the car I remove the packed basket and carry an empty fridge out, put it on the slide out tray, then bring the basket out and put in the fridge.

the best way to load your fridge I think

saves back aches, and frayed nerves trying to hump 40+ kgs into the Car

When staying more than a week we sit it under the awning/annex (With a plastic covered chain and lock same as @Dobbie ) But on weekenders the fridge stays in the back of the

same same as @Dobbie & @dagree chained to the chassis or left in the Car
locked at night of course for security

Reactions: Bennov and dagree