18' Series 18.58.2 OB Purchase advice

Bennov

Feb 27, 2016
Ringwood, vic
Hi All,

First time poster long time reader! Great site.

I'm seriously thinking about purchasing a 18.58.2 OB - upgrade from my 86 Swan so fairly serious change in direction. Went to the show and made the decision to go OB rather than the tourer. I see value for money and expect the OB holds it's value better.

I'd appreciate advice on any of the following
- Wind up aerial. I haven't been able to find much info online but seems most go with it.
- 150w solar in lieu of 120w. Is this option available / worthwhile?
- Gas bayonet location & size. Is the location useful for outdoor BBQ?
- Coast Control panel. If I upgrade to dual batteries & / or 3rd tank is the coaster cable of monitoring or should I go with the digital display?
- Allow for cut-out of washing machine?
- Picnic table. Seems pretty robust.... but I have 3 kids under 7 so they'll push the boundries.
- TV mount only, without TV. I assume this is possible
- Extended draw bar. I'm pretty keen on mounting a toolbox & bike racks on front. I assume the extended draw bar assists in achieving this? The brochure indicates the OB is 120mm shorter than tourer - seems odd.
- Oven in lieu of grill. Need to check price on this before committing.
- External shower so the kids can wash down before getting in the new rig.

Any advice welcome & thanks in advance.

Ben

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
Hi @Bennov. Choosing a new van is exciting and daunting all at the same time. I was in a similar situation earlier this year before ordering our Starcraft. There are plenty on here who can offer you advice. I thought I'd offer my two cents on why we didn't go with some of your options after asking ourselves the same questions. We ended up paring our extras down to bare minimum after advice from here and thinking about what we really wanted or needed.

We chose not to go with a wind up antenna in the end, or a tv or a mount after wondering if we should go with one or all of them. I have heard the wind up has had issues and at the end of the day it's outdated so figure we can add something digital and portable to our van down the track as there is a device for everything out there that is better than what factories are fitting these days. Plus I hear satelite is all the rage at the moment. And my kids are Ipad users so the tv just isn't needed, nor the stereo which we figure we'd never use as we are too polite to want to annoy the neighbours.

Ask @17triton about upgrading from 120-150 as he optioned it.

Coast to coast seemed useless, we went with the drifter panel option.

Picnic table, we optioned it, but it will be adults only "drinks" table. Don't imagine the kids will need to go near it. Is useful to put a tv on outside we were told (if you go with the tv option) as the plugs are above it.

Oven...will you cook inside? I like the idea of the oven over the grill but we won't be using the inside kitchen for anything more than prep. Will get a Weber Baby Q to do all our cooking outside (or maybe a bigger Weber Q) and they do oven style cooking also. What do you currently do in the Swan?

External shower. Great idea. We wanted to keep weight down so didn't go with it. Not sure we would have used it in the long run. A bucket by the front door would do just as good a job in my opinon.

We chose not to extend A frame due to not wanting the added length for storage and again to keep weight down as we don't have the weight allowance for a box with our tow vehicle. But I have heard it's a must do option if you have the money and space.

Just remember that all these options cost. The more you add the bigger the discount I have found, but at the end of the day some of them are expensive options you may never need or use. Best of luck with the decisions.

Last edited:

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Hi All,

First time poster long time reader! Great site.

I'm seriously thinking about purchasing a 18.58.2 OB - upgrade from my 86 Swan so fairly serious change in direction. Went to the show and made the decision to go OB rather than the tourer. I see value for money and expect the OB holds it's value better.

I'd appreciate advice on any of the following
- Wind up aerial. I haven't been able to find much info online but seems most go with it.
- 150w solar in lieu of 120w. Is this option available / worthwhile?
- Gas bayonet location & size. Is the location useful for outdoor BBQ?
- Coast Control panel. If I upgrade to dual batteries & / or 3rd tank is the coaster cable of monitoring or should I go with the digital display?
- Allow for cut-out of washing machine?
- Picnic table. Seems pretty robust.... but I have 3 kids under 7 so they'll push the boundries.
- TV mount only, without TV. I assume this is possible
- Extended draw bar. I'm pretty keen on mounting a toolbox & bike racks on front. I assume the extended draw bar assists in achieving this? The brochure indicates the OB is 120mm shorter than tourer - seems odd.
- Oven in lieu of grill. Need to check price on this before committing.
- External shower so the kids can wash down before getting in the new rig.

Any advice welcome & thanks in advance.

Ben

Hi @Bennov,

I have found the wind up aerial to work very well. I'd recommend getting things like this fitted at manufacture, as they arent terribly easy to fit afterwards.

Not sure if going from 120w to 150w is a significant benefit, but you might consider going for 2 x 120 or 150w panels if you are planning on a lot of free camping.

Not sure of the location of the gas bayonet on the 18 footers as I have a 21, however we had it relocated to the rear so we could have the BBQ in a good spot. They seem willing to relocate if you dont like the standard spot, or even add a 2nd outlet.

I went for the Drifter panel instead of the coast. We have 2 solar panels, 2 batteries and 2 water tanks (although looking to add a 3rd water) so the Drifter gives you much more information, including battery state, current draw, ability to monitor 3 water and a waste tank, and a few other hand features. Worth the extra.

Again, if you are considering a washing machine, get the allowance made for it at manufacture, as it wont be easy fitting it later if you don't. We have the washing machine. Don't use it all that much, but really handy when we do, especially if there are queues at the laundry or if free camping (you need 240v power to run them).

The picnic tables are pretty robust, ours has stood up to a bit of a battering and still works OK.

You can get the TV mount by itself, we did the same thing and purchased a TV from JB HiFi after pickup. They block the walls to strengthen when they are adding the TV brackets at construction, so again, a good thing to get them to do.

Extended draw bar - Yes !!

We didn't get the oven as we use the Weber Baby Q, but occasionally we would like the oven. We would get it if we had our time over again.

Again, we didn't get the external shower, but particularly if you have kids, they are great for washing sand off after the beach etc. so a worthwhile addition.

If you are planning on dual batteries, again, get it fitted at manufacture, as the weight won't then come off your carrying capacity, as it would if you add it later (like we did because we didn't know about that).

Others will no doubt have differing opinions, but that my thoughts.

Enjoy the process, its a fun time buying a new van.

Reactions: bigcol and Bennov

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Hi @Bennov ,
We moved from a swan to our panda, like you are doing.
The extended drawbar.....YES!!! makes the van look huge, but better for adding boxes, bikes etc.
We have the wind up aerial and found it works in tv reception areas but, our kids watch movies, so the hard drives are more important.
We optioned to change the 120W to the 150W. Don't know how much better it is, but, we still got it. (any little bit helps, and it was bugger all money wise)
We have the outdoor shower, and haven't used it yet (got rid of the ensuite and replaced with cupboards but kept the HWS - which is a must), but have it for the 'just in case' time.
Our gas point is up the front near the drop down leg. After finding a hose end to fit, it was great to have with the bbq. No more carrying around that extra bottle.
Kept the tv and even mounted a second. Kids love having the sound from their movie/cartoon travel thru the stereo speakers, as they can be anywhere in the van and still hear it.
I didn't get an oven. I use one of those round, glass oven things. Heaps easier to clean, and it can cook the food outside and not heat up the van. (I have never used the grill and have no intention of using it either. Too much hassle with the cleaning)

Just think about what you want and get it. Easier to have someone else fit it, and have the warrantee on it, unless you are a handy DIYer.

Sturah

Oct 29, 2015
BrisVegas
WELCOME ABOARD!!!!!

I might be a bit premature but i think your making a great family decision:)

I can't comment on what its like to own an expanda, as i dont have one.....yet. two weeks off though. i had a swan and we decided to upgrade after number 3 getting bigger we out-grew the swan. your in good hands here i have spent alot of time going through the best ideas on here. then we ordered one its been almost 6 months since we ordered it, so there is still time to djust your order should someone on here help you part with more money.

aerial- mention a show deal. i got the tv, aerial and stereo for free.
solar 120 would be good unless you have high use?
gas leave as std
control we went with the drifter???
boss didnt want the washer, and thats that
picnic table, we went 2 for less internal packing
drawbar, yes cant be done later
oven, nah weber same same but better
external hot water shower, i have the heat exchanger shower in the car and we use this so i really see this as a great idea in the van.

thats my 2cents although as mentioned i don't have a van.......:focus:

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Welcome @Bennov, all the others have summed it up well I think.
Aerial - yes cost more down the track
solar upgrade - yes we did it was only $70-80
drawbar ext - yes can't do it later and great space for toolbox later
drifter controller- yes it craps all over the coast to coast
oven - no we went with the mighty weber
we didn't bother with ext shower as it is something that would hadly ever get used.
Work out everything you need and want and then haggle them down. Have fun and can't wait to hear how you go.

Reactions: Bennov

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Another welcome to you @Bennov

We didn't have the choice of options as our van was a stock ordered van (No waiting) but if ordering here's my 1 cents worth ;)
Aerial - Yes if you want TV in reception areas. No if you stay away from towns. We now have satellite as well and use that more often!
Solar Upgrade - If not too expensive go for two 120 watt units if free camping a lot
Ext Drawbar - A definite YES from me. We have a standard one and need an extended tow hitch to keep the box away from the Prado's bumper!
Drifter Controller - If you get multiple solar panels or an extra water tank then YES... Or if you want full digital instead of a basic readout YES again!
Oven - Not for us as we cook outside all the time in the weber or electric frypan.
Ext Shower - Ours is a spiral hose connected to front drawbar tap to hose sand off the Grandkids after a trip to the beach ;)

As others have said work out exactly what you want (Not what the sales guys tell you) then go and negotiate!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bennov and bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
welcome @Bennov
as you can see, lots of good ideas already for you

best practice would be to sit down with your partner, and work out what sort of camping you intend doing - now.......as in work on a 5 year plan

if you will be staying 60% or more in Van parks, extra solar & showers and such will be wasted money (your plugged into their 240V, they have toilets and showers, and wash house facilities - my thoughts)

if it was 50-50 Parks and free camping, then YES extra solar will not hurt, but you will need an extra tank for the extra water for the shower..............
which would need the drifter controller etc
mind you, there is a tap on the drawbar, kids can be hosed off from that

I did not get the Ariel on my Van, but it does have the plug outside and one inside for one - at a later date if really wanted, but as others have said, HDD and iPads for kids - piece and quiet for parents

extended draw bar - YES, not much $ for an extra 300mm of drawbar........unless you are storage space limited

picnic table - yes - coffee machine sits on there, too high up for kids to use anyway unless they are standing up to use table

Oven.............we have a Weber Q, electric frying pan, as well as ones for the hot plate
and I cannot remember the last time I was camping I took a roast with me to cook up for Sunday dinner, maybe I am missing something

a lot of mods and things to get fitted at manufacture so depend on what style of camping you will be doing
no point in spending big coin to make yourself self sufficient for free camping, if you dont do it
also, as was stated, you have your weight to think of, yes better to be done at Manufacture so your plate is true and correct, but if its not required, why spend the coin.............

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
If it were me

My Windup aerial works fine
Solar upgrade: Big Yes only a few dollars you can never have enough
Gas Bayonet: I was going to get one but didn't due to wanting to use the weber down the beach at times, so I take a 4kg bottle with me.
Oven: Nope use the webber
Extended Drawbar: Yes I wish mine had one
Drifter Digital Panel: Yes I wish mine had one
Washing Machine : Depends on your situation (Remember that they use a heap of water)
Picnic Table: I use foldups that sits in the bed ends like many here.
Outside shower, like others I have now got a sower head on the tap on the drawbar.

Reactions: bigcol

Bennov

Feb 27, 2016
Ringwood, vic
Thanks everyone for the great feedback, so handy having people who have experienced the pro's and cons so we don't have to guess.

Currently we are 100% van parks, but with the new purchase hope to do more free camping. Can't see us getting anywhere near 50/50

Based on the feedback, we've locked in most things.
- Wind up aerial. Lock
- 150w solar in lieu of 120w. Lock
- Gas bayonet location & size. Lock, will confirm the location is suitable with dealer.
- Drifter Panel - Lock
- Provision for washing machine. Lock
- Picnic table. Lock.
- TV mount. Lock
- Extended draw bar. Lock
- Oven in lieu of grill.I agree with everyone in regards to cooking in the van, we just felt we'd be more likely to use an oven rather than a grill. Having said that $430 for something we'll hardly use doesn't make sense.
- External shower. Again, agree with all the logical responses on this option.... except this one is out of my hands. Attaching a shower hose to the draw bar tap was mentioned, to no avail. Likely lock

New thought
- ESC. I visited the AL-KO website to understand how their ESC functionality works. Seems pretty cool.... but for $1,000 doubt I'll go that way.

Thanks again.

Reactions: bigcol

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
New thought
- ESC. I visited the AL-KO website to understand how their ESC functionality works. Seems pretty cool.... but for $1,000 doubt I'll go that way.

With ESC, I don't believe it's an option, it's a must.

If it isn't included as standard (which I'd double check as I think it might be) then it should be.

I have scraped a number of vans off the road caused by jackknife, where I think ESC would have avoided.

I wouldn't buy a car without stability control these days, and now it's available on caravans, I wouldn't (and didn't) buy one without ESC or a similar system

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
New thought

Thanks again.

I think the esc is worth a bit more thought when you say $1000 on a 50k van it is not a huge outlay for something that could save yours and your family's lives. More important than some options imo.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Agree with @Bellbirdweb and @17triton as there is no price on safety. Ours didn't come with it fitted but Jayco do pre-wire for aftermarket fitting.
At the time I was quoted $1300 fitted and they were something like $950 fitted during the build.... Best $'s I've spent on it in my mind as have felt it operate a couple of times just with trucks coming the other way at speed :)

Should be a mandatory item on ALL caravans from this day forward!

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
ESC .... Definately as far more secure and stable.

Outdoor table...yes...great for all sorts of things. We use ours for tv with extra coax and 12v outlets near it. Currently have tv set up outside so easy to use. If we do watch it inside we just plonk it on bench. Sound is kept low but no effect on neighbours as yet. Haven't tried it in caravan parks though.

solar...we went 150 as we do lots of unpowered camping and had Jayco fit Anderson plug for portable 120 panel. No need to use it as the 150 keeps battery fully charged and the 120 is now superfluous. Also, we found no need for a second battery as we've got more than enough for our needs.

We've been unpowered now for over 12 days and battery is holding at 14 and lowest is 12.8 after indulging in tv for a few hours.....and we don't have to fluff around with moving panels.

Depends on type of camping you want but we've got more than enough 12v power with the 150 and the one standard battery.

Longer draw bar...yes...but keep an eye on what you add to it in the weight area.

Bayonet....yes...ours is set next to step and a bit far in but they put it there as it can get hit by stones.

Tv aerial...we got the standard snowflake and it works fine but we don't watch much tv so we're no good for recommendation. We carry some DVDs and watch them if we feel the urge.

Have fun with your deliberations!

Bennov

Feb 27, 2016
Ringwood, vic
Evening All,

Big day for @Bennov and family, paid the deposit on the new 18.58.2 OB van..... bloody excited!
Include the following options
Show pack
- Wind up aerial.
- TV and mount
- Stereo & indoor/outdoor speakers

Plus
- 150w solar in lieu of 120w.
- Drifter Panel
- Picnic table.
- Extended draw bar
- External shower.
- ESC.

End of may production run, delivery mid to late June. WOOOHOOO!!!
Now time to start stressing about
- Mods (toolbox, bike rack, anderson plug, outdoor portable fridge....)
- Could I have got it cheaper?
- What are the kids going to break/damage on it?
- Will it fit in the carport?

Thanks for all your input, makes the decision making so much easier when people are providing informed advise!
I'll keep you posted when it arrives.

Cheers

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
good on you @Bennov

End of may production run, delivery mid to late June. WOOOHOOO!!!
Now time to start stressing about
- Mods (toolbox, bike rack, anderson plug, outdoor portable fridge....)
- Could I have got it cheaper?
- What are the kids going to break/damage on it?
- Will it fit in the carport?

for a little light reading, and a giggle or two,
have a read of @The Goodwins story,
its a lovable tale, about the quintessential evolution of a man and his camping needs....................

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/the-great-brissie-expanda-shade-sail-storage-build.4602/

you will love it