Just Browsing Which Expanda for me..

Roosterman

Jul 18, 2015
Hunter Valley
Morning brains trust,

I am hoping for advise/experiences from members who may have been in a similar situation to mine...

I have a young family, Daughter 4, Son 8...we have decided to upgrade from our Off road CT to an Expanda, with intention of heading off on a lap of sorts in the next 18 months or so..

Now we thought we had pretty well decided that a 16' expanda, OB with shower and toilet would suit us for such a trip and beyond, but after more research and reading thru numerous posts/threads on here, it now seems that a 17' expanda may suits us better.

The main reason for our rethink, mainly down to the kids, and liveability, whilst I don't think the kids would have a drama sleeping together at this stage, it wont be long before my son will be looking forward to sleeping by himself...and this is when it may be a prob for us...with the 17' we can arrange for one of them to jump on one of the bunks, and allow both of them to have there own sleeping arrangements....the other strong consideration for a 17' is the extra space and liveability it provides, its our intention to sell up and relocate as part of the trip, and see that what ever we upgrade to being our house until we stop and set up again...so the 17' ticks a few extra boxes there.

Any thoughts...??

Now just to add intrigue to the above, is the consideration of my tug....I DONT want to start a Nissan v Toyota war, my veh is a patrol, which is heavily modified including lift, lockers, performance mods etc, etc...it is what it is.....im not in the position to change it over, and wouldn't anyway as I enjoy it to much, I am more then aware of the lack of power when it comes to towing, although I don't have to many probs with this, on our last trip to Cape it towed our 1.2tn CT well and returned 18LPH for 9000ks, additionally, ive always been of the attitude that when im on holidays it not a race, take your time and enjoy it...its not perfect on the black top, but awesome in the bush, I accept it for what it is...

As a side note, I am having an ECU stage 2 remap done prior to hooking up and heading off..

My question is,

is a 17' expanda OB going to be to much, I know that under current specs it can handle it, but am I expecting to much pulling a 17' expanda..??, or should I go back to my original thinking, that a 16' will suit us fine, and be easier on the veh all round..??

The other thing in mind with towing is the suspension of the van, does anyone have any comments regarding the NEW vs OLD suspension set ups...does this make towing the van easier in terms of handling, i am aware of the new ESC and its characteristics, but is it really noticeable I guess...I ask, as this is another factor in our choice also..

Lastly, I would like to have an off road hitch fitted, im aware that this can be down, but more interested in your thoughts on this, particularly with a 17 ' expanda, I wont be doing the OTT with it, but will certainly be taking it on the dirt, nothing silly of course...thoughts...WDH is it an absolute requirement....FYI the veh has a 3" lift..

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and reply with your comments, as you could imagine we are a little apprehensive with getting the decision right, and also out laying the $$$ for purchase...big decision for us..

Regards

Rooster...

Last edited:
Reactions: Smirke

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Welcome @Roosterman personally I would go as big as you can go. Where just started looking again for a new van only a year on.
Everything is a compromise if your going out on weeks away do you really want the kids complaining as on the same bed :)
There is also a new 18" out with a separate toilet/loo and I think you can get a washing machine.

There are a few hire places around if you think your pushing the weights to take one for a weekend to triple check.

We have a new Starcraft with Jtech/ESC it tows very nice no swing had no problems with trucks. Not sure new suspension or car or luck :)

There will be many people here who have had both a 16" and 17" and a say a few with Patrols as well :)

Reactions: Roosterman

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Hi @Roosterman . Go the 17. Like you said, your kids will want their own beds, and you want the peace n quiet at bed time and other times when they are just lazing around inside, and not the "mum....he's kicking me.....move over, your on my side". , etc! Plus, remember your kids are only going to get bigger. So unless you plan on changing the van a few years after buying it...........
As for cars, I've got the patrol and we pull the 21-64OB. Have done approx 17000km since we picked it up in December. Ours is also modified.....lifted, HD suspension, bigger tyres. The only thing we had to do was to get a Dawes n needle valve put in, as it was loosing power whilst towing our previous van.......a swan OB!
Good luck with your research.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Welcome @Roosterman, great to have you on board with possibly the most helpful forum around. I'll offer my 10c since you asked for it... :)

• 17ft vs 16ft - Like others said, if you can fit it in your yard (while you have it) and your Patrol is a sound beast (which it sounds like it is), then you'll have no problems with the 17ft and you'll appreciate that extra little bit of space. It might be the case that if you're Patrol is a little long in the tooth, it may struggle here and there with some positive inclines, but no one should really be racing around in with these things on the back. Providing it isn't labouring and struggling, it sounds like you're across the potential drop in "warp speed".
  • New vs. Old Suspension - Not owning a J-tech van, I can't comment on it other than I know it adds a fair chunk of weight. My van towed well behind the Pajero, and now tows even better behind the Colorado. Never have thought the tail was wagging the dog (except that time the brake controller wasn't working properly....) I've no doubt the J-tech is better suspension system, but I'd consider the weight implications before working out if its worth more $$$. Just my experience, happy to be corrected by those more experienced.
  • ESC - My van doesn't have it, and nor have I thought I needed it (thankfully). But it's like those cars that have ABS, traction control and all the other gizmo's vs. driving around in a car that doesn't. If you are sensible, aware and use common sense you can survive I believe without it. But you'll be better off having it there, in case you need it. If we ever buy a new van, I'll be ticking that box if it doesn't come standard.
  • WDH - This old chestnut. I don't have one, but will probably get one... eventually. My van sits well behind the Colorado, if a little high, and did the same behind the Pajero (albeit, I beefed that up). I feel a WDH might take a little of the pitch and bounce out of the travel which we experience when going over larger ditches or grooves in the road. But like ESC, I drive for the conditions and am comfortable currently touring without one.
Either way, it's a fun but often frustrating experience looking through vans. As @davemc highlights, there will always be some sort of comprimise. Just work out which list the options you consider live on. Our lists are:
  • Critical/Must Have/Deal breaker
  • Yeah that would be really nice and I'd like it.
  • That's a cool option, but I'm not losing sleep if it's not included.
From there, it hopefully narrows down your choices.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Agree with above. 17' would better suit your needs. We have 16.49.3 and no kids and it would be a bit squeezy.

Also have a patrol which tows our van easily and happily with ESC and new heavier suspension.

One thing that came up in our research was the statement in Nissan Owner's Manual that they don't recommend a WDH and this was confirmed by dealer. Hence, we tow without WDH and have had absolutely no problems. The dealer did indicate warranty would be compromised if we used the WDH.

Might be worth checking.

Tricky

Nov 10, 2012
Eltham Victoria
Also agree - go the 17' if you can. Almost everyone starts smaller and ends up going bigger.

Accommodation is really important for the kids to ensure everyone has a relaxing trip!

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
well said @Smergen maybe what eva van you get air bags could help you ???? if you cant have a WDH I have both its soooo good to tow but wish the prado was 3t towing so ive just got a 100 series landcruiser as my van is a 2014 model its a bit heavy as jaycos plate in the van is very wrong and way off what it weighs for the prado its not so much the van weight its the ball weight 20 to 30 kgs over I never have water in it I get 13 to 15 towing with prado its so good but not ideal so now I have 350kgs on the ball 3500kg towing haven't towed with it yet as I just got the car want to tweak it a bit first

Roosterman

Jul 18, 2015
Hunter Valley
Cheers for all the comments so far, by your responses it would appear that 17.56-2 OB is pretty much the popular choice, which is starting to become our thinking also.

There is a few on the market at the minute, and a couple of real good deals.

I guess now we need to decide if we buy new or used, I really like the look of the newer models, also like the ESC as a new addition, and really like the new suspension set up, not sure if its me, but the latest OB models look as though they are slighter higher in ground clearance...not sure.

The only real concern is the added weight with new suspension, i like that older models are touch lighter, and appear to tow just as well by reports.

By the comments from you guys and based on my experience I believe my tug will do fine, ive never been one to jump on the go pedal...its about the journey, not how fast you get there.

Just need to find out about the hitch now.

Thankyou

Rooster.

Reactions: Bluey and dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Welcome to the forum @Roosterman and you've come to the right place to ask Q's...

I think most of your queries have already been answered but I'll throw the following in also:
With 4 of you definitely go the 17'er. We started with a 16.49.3 and on most trips our daughter and her son tag along.
Was OK when he was little and slept in the double bed with mum but now as he is growing he wanted his own bed. (I'm thinking mum might have put some ideas in his head so she could get the bed to herself!!!!!)

It was fine but in wet weather being couped inside it got a little claustrophobic!

We now have the 17.56.2 Outback with double bunks so he now gets his own "Bed up High" as he calls it and his own dinette table :)

Haven't towed with J-Tech suspension so can't help!

ESC.... A no brainer @$900 factory fitted or $1300 aftermarket my usual answer is "What price is your safety worth?"

WDH... If your vehicle and van sit level not necessarily needed but can be utilised (I noticed a difference with the 16.49.3 behind the cruiser when WDH used. The 17'er has a tregg hitch and the WDH won't fit so beefed up the Prado suspension with heavy duty system and airbags and it tows a dream!

Looking forward to seeing which way you go and see the new home when you get it.

Reactions: Crusty181

AzHaych

Mar 15, 2013
Beaconsfield, Vic
@Roosterman welcome and as the guys said you have come to the right place for your questions.
One thing my wife and I did on the recommendation of our trusted Jayco sales guy was take our then 4 year old down to their yard and just sit in the vans. I was undersided between the 16.49 and 17.56 until we just sat in them and allowed the little chick to play around whilst we had a good look around the space and storage in each. We did this mid week whilst it was quite and we went from one to the other a couple of times.

We ended up going with the 17.56.1 and I was so glad we did, because one thing I didnt think about was when you travel your kids meet other kids. Our first decent trip was to Merimbula and your kids meet other kids who have two little sisters and before you know it you have 4 kids playing in the van.
As they always say, the bigger, the better!

Az

Reactions: 17triton and Smirke

JMS Project

Jun 14, 2015
Dayboro
Hi there...

Definitely agree with the 17 choice. Or maybe the New 18, just to throw a cat amongst the pigeons.

But, I would definitely HIRE 1 first. A coupe of hundred $$ for a few days, will be the best $$ you will spend to decide.

Steve

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
A normal hitch is fine you can always decide to change it later depends on where you are going with van if you need a diffrent one

Roosterman

Jul 18, 2015
Hunter Valley
Again thanks to all for your advise, I have been throwing a few scenarios around with my tug and van, and am wondering if anyone can tell me if you can open the rear doors on your tug when still hooked up for an overnighter for example.

It will be our intention to do overnighters at times, and as most others would do, I wont to be able to access my veh for bits and pieces (beer mainly) , do I need an ext draw bar, or will a van of the lot allow this to happen...am keen on an ext draw bar for the obvious advantages...

Cheers.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Hi. Wish I'd had this discussion a year ago as it would have saved a lot of time!

Rear doors on our Patrol open easily on our setup with extended draw bar and stone deflector as well as weber box ..I was worried about the tyre hitting the stone guard as it is fixed on an angle but can open both doors while hitched and access stuff inside. Only limitation is when car at angle from van then one door is difficult...ok when I straighten the van.

So look at extended draw bar if you can.

You are certainly thinking along the right lines for practicality and all possible scenarios.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
The only other problem I hear about is the height of the tow coupling can sometimes prevent the door from opening. I've never had the problem with my dual cab utes as they a drop down tailgate.