16' Series Wheel Balancing

Greeeny

Oct 5, 2013
Cheltenham, Vic
After checking my Expanders Outbacks wheels and doing maintenance it suddenly occurred to me there are no wheel balance weights on any of the wheels, surely Jayco don't get perfectly balanced wheels and tyres, has anyone balanced theirs?

Reactions: Ss--ss

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
None of my Jayco's had balanced wheels, had to take them all to tyre dealer to have them done.

when I pick up the new van next month I'll be checking them, and straight to the nearest tyre dealer if they aren't done.

Better still I'll called the dealer tomorrow and get him to make sure they are done before hand.

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
They don't balance them, and we had ours done after we got it. They were so far out it wasn't funny. The tyre dealer ended up pulling them off and re-seating them. It would make a massive difference to the effect on suspension and tyre wear.

BJ.

Reactions: Greeeny and bigcol

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Only trailer that has balanced wheels is the boat trailer and that's only when I had new tyres fitted. Will check the expandas wheels in the morning. Maybe something to get done before we go away next month????

Smash

Apr 23, 2013
Perth WA
You will find no vans have balanced wheels even the top end of the market vans like the keldrons because the suspension is design to take it and also there is no steering components unlike a car to cause a problem.

Last edited:

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
You will find know vans have balanced wheels even the top end of the market vans like the keldrons because the suspension is design to take it and also there is no steering components unlike a car to cause a problem.

Thanks @Smash ... You just saved me $20+ 8-):encouragement:

Greeeny

Oct 5, 2013
Cheltenham, Vic
I will get my Expander's wheels balanced before our next big trip, i feel if there is constant vibrating in the van it will be just another thing to create premature wear on the fittings etc.
I remember getting a 6x4 trailer tyres balanced that i once i owned, it remained so quiet and smooth to tow at any speed, I'm sure it will make a difference to the Expander.

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
The old 16 footer I took in for a puncher repair and at the same time they balanced the wheels. I didn't ask for the wheel balanceing to be done but is was a mistake buy the fitter.
Subsequently I found after towing the van with the wheels now balanced that is now far smother and handled better on windy days and didn't sway as much when overtaking either. (Not that there was much overtaking with the old Hilux:biggrin:).
The 16 footer was only a single axel and I found that you realy feel any movement more on a single axel and with it being loaded up most of the time anything that made it handle better was a bonus.
I am going to get around to it on the 20 footer as well but that's a job that I had forgotten about until I was reminded by this thread. I don't feel like you need to as much on a double axel but it could hurt I say.

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
Get ready for the trip to Sydney (Blue Mountians) and need to get 2 new tyres for the car, so took the caravan wheels of and asked them to balance them as well (got the three caravan wheels balanced for free). Well there must be a Lead shortage in Adelaide because it is all on the three caravan wheels. When towing there was a shutter around the 80 km/h mark prior to the balance and I would have to attribute this to the balance of the wheels.

Will be interested to see how it tows now that the wheels are balanced.

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Get ready for the trip to Sydney (Blue Mountians) and need to get 2 new tyres for the car, so took the caravan wheels of and asked them to balance them as well (got the three caravan wheels balanced for free). Well there must be a Lead shortage in Adelaide because it is all on the three caravan wheels. When towing there was a shutter around the 80 km/h mark prior to the balance and I would have to attribute this to the balance of the wheels.

Will be interested to see how it tows now that the wheels are balanced.
If when whoever balanced your wheels and fitted over 120 gm on a wheel the should spin the tyre on the rim to a different position to cut the weight down and tyre to run truer ...
Just thought youd like to know

Greeeny

Oct 5, 2013
Cheltenham, Vic
Our Last trip, we were cruising on the freeway to Gippsland and after the wheel balance my comments to my wife were "how smooth is this, the Prado was doing it easy and we were at 100kph", as the driver i could tell there was a difference.

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
If when whoever balanced your wheels and fitted over 120 gm on a wheel the should spin the tyre on the rim to a different position to cut the weight down and tyre to run truer ...
Just thought youd like to know
Over the years I've seen a massive difference in the quality of the actual person doing the balancing apart from the normal rim and tyre issues. The best rim & tyre pairing I've had came down to about a 1 ounce weight on each wheel and that was opposite the valve stem. The worst were tyres that were crap in balance quality plus out of round anyway. Once had an idiot who as each added weight didn't fix it he then would run it again and then add another weight elsewhere that cancelled the previous one and tried to fix it. Fortunately he eventually ripped all of them off and started again but I was ready to ask if either I could try or just take them elsewhere.

Reactions: Drover and bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Over the years I've seen a massive difference in the quality of the actual person doing the balancing apart from the normal rim and tyre issues. The best rim & tyre pairing I've had came down to about a 1 ounce weight on each wheel and that was opposite the valve stem. The worst were tyres that were crap in balance quality plus out of round anyway. Once had an idiot who as each added weight didn't fix it he then would run it again and then add another weight elsewhere that cancelled the previous one and tried to fix it. Fortunately he eventually ripped all of them off and started again but I was ready to ask if either I could try or just take them elsewhere.

yes, I have seen that as well, the quality of the operator out strips the quality of the tyre some times.......... both negatively as well as positively

I used to buy my tyres way in advance of me putting them on to the car
gave me time to check the out of round, as well as where the heaviest spot was, prior to getting them fitted
used to do the same with my rims as well

now, I just stand there and ask "are you going to balance the tyre and the rim first - so you can match them up"
only ever had 2 people in the last 10yrs go - "of course mate - wouldn't do it any other way"
had a few look at me like I was speaking Swahili though............

Reactions: Drover and dagree