Just Browsing What Would You Different If Purchasing Again

Twinpiston

May 1, 2016
Brisbane
Hi All,
My wife and I have decided to upgrade from the soft floor camper, and I pretty much made our minds up on a 2013 or better Expanda with a toilet.... She would really prefer a "full" caravan whereas I prefer the compact nature of the expanda. (Would need a toilet)

I notice a lot of peoples sigs have there trailer history and a fair few say they had a Expanda and then seem to have a Discovery or a StarCraft.

We have two kids, 8 and 10 and am wanting to do a lot more travelling.

What are your thoughts!!!

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
With kids I'd recommend the expanda for the extra room (Yeah it's a bit more to set up but not as much as a tent or a camper). If it was just the 2 of us we would think about getting a "full" van like a starcraft, journey etc but as @crackacoldie said the expanda is big on living space and we love it!

Fabulous

Feb 26, 2013
Melbourne
We too looked at what other appeared to do, we notice a lot purchased a Swan / Eagle from a camper, then didn't like the time setting up, so moved to an expander, and for what ever reason moved to a Starcraft / other.

It took us a year to decide on the StarCraft after a Cub Camper, and love it - wouldn't change the van at all. I think it suits out needs now as well as what we have planned for the future.

Reactions: 17triton and davemc

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Hi All,
My wife and I have decided to upgrade from the soft floor camper, and I pretty much made our minds up on a 2013 or better Expanda with a toilet.... She would really prefer a "full" caravan whereas I prefer the compact nature of the expanda. (Would need a toilet)

I notice a lot of peoples sigs have there trailer history and a fair few say they had a Expanda and then seem to have a Discovery or a StarCraft.

Expanda all the way. Ours is also a 16.49.3 and has huge amount of room and is easy to tow. Agree with crackacoldie.....same van!

We're currently travelling and just stopped at a bush camp and now have drink in my hands 15 mins after arriving but have left van hitched to car. It's a great life.

We use the toilet far more than the shower and it's great when you can't find a rest stop with a decent loo. That was our issue today so each time I thank the gods for the on board facilities.

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
We loved our Expanda and the space they afford. Our travels were usually road trips thus ease of setup was important. After some thought, the 20 foot, single beds and bunk setup was the perfect compromise for our 4 person family.
A Starcraft and importantly a Jayco - resale is where the Jayco makes sense.
Ours - Not too long. 8 metres in total.
Still have the floor space of the Expanda because of the single bed setup
All the creature comforts.
Good luck with your decisions.
Lots of opinions here but the great thing about this site is the spirit in which it's given. We all just love the idea of getting away!

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
we had a 17ft expanda with ensuite. Loved it! down side was the need to make up beds for overnighters and also we were keen to get a full ensuite to avoid the drying routine after the last shower (so PJs didnt get wet in the middle of the night.
Horses for courses.....
Expanda will hold it's value so dont be afraid to get one and then sell it in a few years if you decide to go bigger

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Very happy with our van purchase. We swapped from the swan as we outgrew it, and we did get tired of setting the table and lounge up into beds for overnighters.
Our bunks are always made up and I only need to throw doonas over the expanding beds and they are ready to go. It's a great size for us, and I'd only change cosmetic stuff.
Go and sit in one of each with the family and see which you'd prefer to be in on a freezing cold and rainy day.
Have fun.

Reactions: dagree

mbr37746

Oct 20, 2013
Central West NSW
Each to their own, but..... 17.56.2 worked really well for us (from Hawk, from tent, from swags...still use the swags though!). We've got kids, 9 & 7and the option to have a top bunk set up for 1of them with the small dinette underneath as a table, a bed for the other with a bed separate for us. The 2 dinette's then allow separation when they have had enough of each other and want to sit doing quiet activities on rainy days/nights.
Shower & toilet combo can be a bit painful to wipe down after last shower to keep feet dry in the middle of the night, although i usually get that job. We've cut to shape one of those click together foam mat things to put in the shower base after wipe it just in case. But sower and toilet are a must with kids as well as keeping Mrs mbr happy!

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Hi All,

yes a full sized caravan is nice
but to tow - your towing a large sail so dont expect great fuel economy
like yourself, I like the idea of dropping the roof when towing, its not much, but it all helps

horses for courses, depends on which layout you really like, my father had 6 Vans over 20 years, each slightly better suited for their needs
hence why some move from swags to camper to popup to Van

again, depends on what sort of camping you are going to be doing
frequent over nighters - full sized would be better suited
drive to 1 spot and stay for awhile - an expanda may be your answer

Reactions: dagree