16' Series What Should I be paying for a 16.43-3 OB New?

Fam-Man-WA

Jan 6, 2012
Perth WA
Hi all, I know this is a touchy subject but we are considering buying a new/Demo 2011 16.49-3 OB Expanda and don't want to be ripped of. The dealer is saying because the new 2012 Vans will be here in WA late Feb early March they are willing to do red hot deals on current stock. They have a 16.49-3 OB in stock and have offered it to us for $40800.00 and say that is a great price. (No options added yet)
1) Is it a great price? Should we bargaining harder?
2) Should we be getting them to throw in extras within this price? (We would like a 100AH battery and full Annex)
3) Are there options that we have not thought off that you think are needed? (We will be mainly camping in National parks and some caravan Parks)

If anyone has recently purchased this particular model and don't mind saying what they payed for it or found out later what should have paid for it, I would be deeply appreciative of your input.

Thanks

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
May be try the annex if you want one. They can always do better.

Fam-Man-WA

Jan 6, 2012
Perth WA
Geez! Thanks Guys. I think the dealer was trying one on us.
Will head back and see how far we can screw him down! LOL
I wonder if we would be paying more in WA? Freight?
Has anyone in WA on this site purchased one recently?

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I think you should be able to get a bit better than that imo

Jayco are doing a run out sale on 2011 mdls here in Vic at the moment (and heaps of advertising) maybe ring a dealer over here like Page Bros and see what price they give you providing they have what you want in stock.

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
I had a chat to our local dealer and he said that there has been no finacial support from Jayco to offer any better deal than they normally would. So I would push harder for a better deal, that seems quite high, our base price for our 17-56.2 OB was under $40k drive away.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Yep your dealer Mick had the best price in Nsw when I rang around, I just choose to go with someone else (Canberra and pay more) because I preferred them and so far they have been great. The best price I got was from the dealer in the dandenongs (page?) do your homework even on freighting it across your self. Then go back to your local dealer and tell them what your comfortable paying, say you will even drive west to pick it up as you have wanted to do the journey for years!

Fam-Man-WA

Jan 6, 2012
Perth WA
Thanks for everyone's comments.

I have spoken to another dealer (In Melbourne) a bit over the last few days and they have offered us the following
2011 Demo Expanda Outback 16.49-1 (Wife say's shower/toilet is not required anymore)
Includes:
Awning
150lt fridge
Heron 2.2 air cond.
Wind up TV antenna
Privacy screens

Special price is $36,690.00
This sounds like a better deal but will keep pushing for them to improve!

Wandering Willies

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
Hi fam man
I purchased a new 18-57.6 from Bayswater Jayco in Melbourne, it was $8000 cheaper than caravanland and in Perth. No competition over there.
We flew over and our on our way back the long way over the top.
Good luck

ChantalB

Jan 10, 2012
Erina,Central Coast NSW
Hi fam man,

I have also been looking at the 16.49-1 outback with the L shape seating and that is a pretty good price. So far the best I have got is $37,100 from jayco Newcastle and Sydney (both came in at the same price):

Rollout awing
Air con
150l fridge
Privacy screens
External gas bayonet point
Extra gas bottle holder
Tv wall bracket
Wind up antenna

Am waiting from calls from Bayswater and Page Bros to see what they can offer.

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
Hi fam man,

I have also been looking at the 16.49-1 outback with the L shape seating and that is a pretty good price. So far the best I have got is $37,100 from jayco Newcastle and Sydney (both came in at the same price):

Rollout awing
Air con
150l fridge
Privacy screens
External gas bayonet point
Extra gas bottle holder
Tv wall bracket
Wind up antenna

Am waiting from calls from Bayswater and Page Bros to see what they can offer.

That sounds good from Newcastle. We payed 39000 for ours in May 2011. It is the same as what you have described and ours was a show display model. We did get the dinette model however... We didnt get the gas point, TV bracket or the 2nd gas bottle. The dinette models have a place for the TV so maybe thats why i didnt get the bracket... Good to see another one close to me is buying one... I am at Hornsby

ChantalB

Jan 10, 2012
Erina,Central Coast NSW
That sounds good from Newcastle. We payed 39000 for ours in May 2011. It is the same as what you have described and ours was a show display model. We did get the dinette model however... We didnt get the gas point, TV bracket or the 2nd gas bottle. The dinette models have a place for the TV so maybe thats why i didnt get the bracket... Good to see another one close to me is buying one... I am at Hornsby

That's good to hear - they are having big sales at the moment so just ringing around and getting prices from everywhere. Did you find Newcastle easy to deal with?

casiochris

Dec 1, 2011
Newcastle NSW
Hi All, I have a Discovery on order and have found this site excellent, even though it's not an expanda! Ordered through Watson's Coffs Harbour and saved about 6000 compared to Newcastle quote. Just thought I'd put it out there as an option. Mine arrives in March so far they have been excellent to deal with. When I called them I spoke to a rep from Melbourne who did me an excellent deal and included most of my extras. Good luck.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Yep ring around is all i can say. There was $5000 between the cheapest and most expensive price when we were ordering our 14.44-4OB.

We purchased our original Hawk in a run out sale a few yrs ago, and saved thousands. Very few extras but that was all we could afford at the time. Turned out to be cheaper than second hand equivalents we were considering. So if you are not to fussed on all the extras, now is a good time to but floor stock.

Forums like this are great at helping you know if you are getting a good deal thats for sure.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi All, I have a Discovery on order and have found this site excellent, even though it's not an expanda! Ordered through Watson's Coffs Harbour and saved about 6000 compared to Newcastle quote. Just thought I'd put it out there as an option. Mine arrives in March so far they have been excellent to deal with. When I called them I spoke to a rep from Melbourne who did me an excellent deal and included most of my extras. Good luck.

What discovery model did you order???

Thirstyviv

Jan 8, 2012
Sydney
Hi Guys first time poster and new member.
Like Chris I too have had good dealings with Watsons caravans in Coff Harbour, I've just ordered an 2011 16.49-3B OB ex-demo with Annex, Awning, External Shower, 150L Fridge, 19 inch LCD TV and Bracket, wind up antenna, privacy screens, dual gas bottles, external gas bayonet, A/C, all for $46k in comparison to Adelaide, Canberra, Newcastle, and Sydney, Watsons price was at the least $3k and at most $6K cheaper than the rest of the other dealers however not trying to bad mouth any of the other dealers as they have all been very nice and courteous to deal with, but Graeme from Watsons just came to the party with their company and the Wife and I have been really happy with their service so far.

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents worth.

Good luck with you purchases and hopefully I'll have pic of mine within the next 2 weeks or sooner fingers crossed.

Regards

Thirstyviv

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
That's good to hear - they are having big sales at the moment so just ringing around and getting prices from everywhere. Did you find Newcastle easy to deal with?

We where happy with there service. We bought our Eagle in 2010 of them, we only had it 10 months and sold it to buy the expanda. They stuffed up the rego on the eagle, the day we picked it up we had booked in as Cesnock for the sat night to try it out. As it was unregoed they towed it to Cessnock on a trade plate. We used it, they picked it up on the Sunday and sorted out the rego on Monday and dropped it to our place to the Tuesday. I couldnt complain about that service so we where happy to buy from them again. They where the cheapest compared to Canberra and Nowra. I wouldnt go to St Marys as the guy at the show was an ass, and had the shits that I wanted to buy from Newcastle. He said you have to buy it from your local dealer. I said Newcastle is easier to get to than St Marys. He started to be rude. So I asked for a rep from Newcaslte. He did, but under protest