18' Series Weight Distribution Hitch: Are they Neccessary?

Aussiejet

Aug 12, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Hi all,

We are waiting on delivery of our 18.58-2, but while I've got the time, I just need to pimp up the Amarok ready for delivery.
I have enquired about a brake controller to be fitted and thanks to this site, will probably go with the Redarc Tow-Pro.
I also asked my dealer about a WDH, and he said that we should install one.
Just asking for everyone's opinion here. Is the WDH necessary if I am towing with the Amarok and will this affect the ESC on the van?
The weight distribution is always based on what else you're carrying in the back, the way you pack the van and obviously the type of vehicle you are towing with.
Also, what are the legal implications of we don't have one installed, even though the dealer suggested we should get one. Mind you, he had no idea what my tug was when we spoke.

Your thoughts?

Thanks
Peter

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
With the ball weight that any largish van places on the car there will be a weight reduction on the front wheels with a consequent effect on braking and handling so a WDH is there to return some of that. With our Ranger we came back to Darwin after picking up the van in Adelaide and with no WDH, which is Ford's recommendation. Other than a bit of porpoising when on some undulating roads I didn't notice any other problems. Having now gone in to it more and now fitted a WDH I have noticed that the porpoising has reduced. I haven't adjusted the tension to fully return the car to the unloaded front and rear heights though and have been setting up the van better to get the ball weight right. Since that pick up trip I've had better quality shocks fitted to the car and had an extra leaf added to the rear to get the car level with it's touring weight onboard before adding the ball weight on to it. The standard suspension was way too soft for my liking. Still needs a bit more though but I'm not interested in raising the height. I would never consider airbags.

As to ESC on the van, as far as I know that is to do with sideways motion on the van itself and should not be affected. You can find a lot of useful info on their web site and you could email them to get their opinion as to any concerns you may have.
http://alkoesc.com.au/

Reactions: Tone and Crusty181

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
I forgot something very important. What limitation/restriction/recommendation does the Manufacturer place on your vehicle for towing. With the PX Ranger, Ford have either stated on the vehicle or elsewhere that a WDH isn't required/recommended but I have yet to see them actually state that it's not to be used. One tag refers you to the Owners Manual but I can't find too much info there. Some Manufacturers may place limitations on towing capacity with regards to speed and/or what gear to tow in. If you have difficulties finding that info then it may help to join a Forum for your particular vehicle.

Where to next

Aug 25, 2015
Melbourne
Whether you have a WDH or do not have WDH it will not effect the ESC. The ESC will take over if the caravan has excessive sideways movement, probably one of the best safety featured that have been added to the modern caravan.
With regards to whether you will need it is a call that is best made on you have the van. With a ball weight of approx 200 odd kg's and a ute that has a load capacity of around a tonne, you would think that it should cope without. This would depend on how much stuff (weight) you put in the tub. The more weight you have in the tub and the more ball weight you have on the van the more likely that a WDH will be needed.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: Delano

Aussiejet

Aug 12, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Thanks heaps guys.
Really appreciate the feedback.
I thought it would more than likely be a matter of wait and see after we get the van. Hence why I was surprised by the dealer's quick answer back saying that Yes, we would definitely need it.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
The issue I have so far with ESC is that they should make you a lot more aware of how it can kick in and when you don't want it? I have had it apply a couple of times at speed and it's brilliant. Reacting faster than you ever could and in situations you may procrastinate on anyway. But I have also pulled out from a rough layover and when the van bounced around at low speed whilst I am trying to accelerate out on to the other side of the road! It's been a determent , like pulling the brakes on whilst acelerating?

Hence why the aftermarket fit out suggests a Anderson plug and that it be discounted for offroad use? But Jayco know better ;-) I intended to switch the accessories wire from the tug one day.

Last edited:
Reactions: 17triton

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
I have driven my triton with and without my wdh and I would recommend using one as it takes a lot of the bouncing or pitching out of the ride and puts more weight back onto the front wheels as well.

Reactions: Tone and achjimmy

Where to next

Aug 25, 2015
Melbourne
The only issue with that equation @Where to next is that the 200kgs is extended way out past where the manufacturer intends the load to be and most who tow with utes tend to still load the rear.[/QUOTE

Each manufacturers vehicle will be effected differently, depending on how hard the suspension set up will be. A ute is always set up to have a stiffer suspension than other vehicles. My MUX has a supposed ball weight capacity of 300kg's, in my opinion it has too soft a suspension for that. The Amarok has the same ball weight capacity, it would cope with the loading on the ball better than the MUX. Anyway, point being I would wait for the new van to arrive before spending more cash on a WDH, but as @achjimmy has said there would likely be stuff loaded into the tub, which would mean it may be better to have the WDH.

Siera

Oct 2, 2014
Country Vic
I picked up our new van 2 weeks ago and dove the 250kms home with an empty van and empty Prado except for 140 ltr of fuel. from what i had read before picking up there was no need for WDH but Prados soft suspension i could not believe the difference it made. On the Weekend we loaded 3 kids food grog bikes and alike for a 400km trip and it rove so much better. Amarok you would think will have stiffer suspension but if loaded i would go for it.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Pretty sure Jayco wire the ESC/Fridge on the same so you have to take a split earlier to turn off.
I think the dexter system has a display for inside the car so you can see when it activates.
No idea why Alko is on the drawbar as I will not see anything once I get in the car.

I have heard people removed their 12 pin when they went off road to stop ESC coming on.. Which means fridge, lights all gone..
you think a simple switch like the car has would work.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
The other thing when comparing Prados / Mux's against a Amarok is the difference in distance from the rear axle to the towball. All Utes have a greater distance which effects how they perform as well as leaf springs opposed to coils.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tone

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
With the ball weight that any largish van places on the car there will be a weight reduction on the front wheels with a consequent effect on braking and handling so a WDH is there to return some of that. With our Ranger we came back to Darwin after picking up the van in Adelaide and with no WDH, which is Ford's recommendation. Other than a bit of porpoising when on some undulating roads I didn't notice any other problems. Having now gone in to it more and now fitted a WDH I have noticed that the porpoising has reduced. I haven't adjusted the tension to fully return the car to the unloaded front and rear heights though and have been setting up the van better to get the ball weight right. Since that pick up trip I've had better quality shocks fitted to the car and had an extra leaf added to the rear to get the car level with it's touring weight onboard before adding the ball weight on to it. The standard suspension was way too soft for my liking. Still needs a bit more though but I'm not interested in raising the height. I would never consider airbags.

As to ESC on the van, as far as I know that is to do with sideways motion on the van itself and should not be affected. You can find a lot of useful info on their web site and you could email them to get their opinion as to any concerns you may have.
http://alkoesc.com.au/

A good mate of mine, mechanic and Ford dealer, who also tows a van with a Ranger, informs me that this is because it affects the Trailer Sway Mitigation System fitted to Ranger. For what it's worth......

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
A good mate of mine, mechanic and Ford dealer, who also tows a van with a Ranger, informs me that this is because it affects the Trailer Sway Mitigation System fitted to Ranger. For what it's worth......
If that were true then Ford should publically state that in their Owners Manual but then go on to say that with ESC fitted to the van it isn't a problem.

Reactions: crackacoldie

gspy4u

Apr 27, 2012
Ipswich
I would always put heavier springs at least in the rear of any vehicle that would tow something with a 200+kg ball weight regardless of what brand it was. Doesn't have to be really hard springs just better than factory. Factory ones are always made for comfort and car like feeling and never cope well with the vans weight.

I would just up the rear springs on the Amarok if you want to save money to accommodate the heavier load.
Then see how it goes before the WDH and get one if still needed.
Our Prado with a suspension upgrade with heavier springs copes very well with the 17.56.2 OB dropping about 10mm or so and is well behaved while towing. Have done over 20,000k's in all types of weather with this setup and have never felt the need for one. But,we always load the van well and each van and vehicle will be different.

Aussiejet

Aug 12, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Thanks for that gspy4u.
Yeah, we are of the opinion that we will just wait and see. We already have the heavy duty leaf springs in the back of the Amarok, and still rides nicely when we have nothing in the back.

Gotta wait till November though. What a punish!