Weber babyq for 5 adults?

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hi all

Looking at getting a babyq or 200. But we are a family of 5 (2 Adults and 3 teenagers who eat like adults) will the babyq be big enough? I love the compactness but it just looks so small, this will be our one and only traveling BBQ and used for most things. I do have a Ubute in the tug which does snags and B&E really well, but will be reluctant to setup both on holidays, perfering to use the Weber.

Any thoughts welcome.

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
I have to say the babyq would be too small but I may be wrong. I have the 220 and we have 2 adults and 2 kids under 5 and I struggle doing a full cook up for breakfast on it. Eg snags, bacon, eggs, tomato etc.

BJ

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Got the Ubute as well and a single gas canister stove for the wok (stirfries, chips). Snags and B&E easier on the big flat plate. But love the BabyQ with the HIGH LID for roasts (chicken, lamb racks, pork, fish, etc.) also does great steaks. Takes a little longer but results certainly worth it. Have a close look at BabyQ to see if you could fit 5 steaks...we use thicker cuts of scotch, fillet etc and space isn't a problem. T-bones etc could be another matter. Also like Mr Beaks sausages done in weber. Very meaty and filling.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi Jim, If I was you with a family of 5 I'd go the 200 high lid model. We are a family of 4 and went the 200 and love it, worst case if space is an issue put it in the back of the Paj to travel. Don't want to put the 100 down as they all do a fantastic job and i guess it depends on how often your teenagers will eat with you but the more people you need to feed it makes sense to go 1 bigger IMO.

Cheers.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Thanks All

owner of a BabyQ from today. Measured up the box I want for the van and couldn't see a 200 fitting, and I really don't want to start having to put it in the back of the tug. Any Sydney siders want a good deal, hawkersbury heating are doing great deals

jdonly1

Dec 7, 2011
Bairnsdale Vic
Thanks All

owner of a BabyQ from today. Measured up the box I want for the van and couldn't see a 200 fitting, and I really don't want to start having to put it in the back of the tug. Any Sydney siders want a good deal, hawkersbury heating are doing great deals
The 200 brekkie plate fits in the babyQ,makes life easier

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I have the 120 model and it is small, but the theory why we bought it was that everything we do with caravanning is on a smaller scale and I wanted to keep weight down. We get by, just drink a few more beers whilst cooking.

Geoff

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Thanks All

Great news Jim, you'll find you make do with what you have and we find our Babyq suits us fine.

Happy cooking :hungry:

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Well we tested it with a leg of lamb, wow what a great BBQ, the lamb cooked fast and was easily the nicest lamb roast I ever had ( camp oven included) cheated a little bit, made my own trivet from a $3 Coles cake trivet and used a cut down tray to minimize the mess.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Well we tested it with a leg of lamb, wow what a great BBQ, the lamb cooked fast and was easily the nicest lamb roast I ever had ( camp oven included) cheated a little bit, made my own trivet from a $3 Coles cake trivet and used a cut down tray to minimize the mess.

Yeah can't beat a good piece of lamb cooked on the Weber. Yummo!!

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
I have an order in for the 100EU for my birthday so am looking forward to having a run with it. We are a family of 4, Mum, Dad, 13 and 11 so I think it will be large enough for us but we'll see. I did see a couple in RSA cooking their, and only their, dinner on 1/2 a 44 gallon drum and it was meat to the edges on all sides so I reckon you can overdo it. I've been buying those marinated, boneless legs of lamb of late and they seem to come off the BBQ pretty well.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Jim I sold my BabyQ and bought a 200 high lid model because the Baby wasn't quite big enough for my family of 4, The Baby didn't quite have enough room for a slap up Sundy brekky, it was Ok for a few steaks & Snaggers for a normal BBQ dinner but the larger one works a treat with more than enough room for a big Roast dish which you can get all the veggies in as well

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
All good, last Sundays effort.

Attachments

• weber roast 2.JPG
    weber roast 2.JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 579
Reactions: Ren77

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Jim I sold my BabyQ and bought a 200 high lid model because the Baby wasn't quite big enough for my family of 4, The Baby didn't quite have enough room for a slap up Sundy brekky, it was Ok for a few steaks & Snaggers for a normal BBQ dinner but the larger one works a treat with more than enough room for a big Roast dish which you can get all the veggies in as well

Iam making a custom box for the drawbar and the 200 just wouldnt fit worst luck. i have the ubute for the breaky fry ups, actually i piad less for the ubute with plate than i would have for the babyq's big plate!

Attachments

• U_Bute_BBQ_Black.jpg
    U_Bute_BBQ_Black.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 505

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Iam making a custom box for the drawbar and the 200 just wouldnt fit worst luck. i have the ubute for the breaky fry ups, actually i piad less for the ubute with plate than i would have for the babyq's big plate!

Dont go thinking thats my gourmet cooking on the ubute? thats a file photo i downloaded.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Great work Jimmy :thumb:

I'm currently cooking pizzas on ours.

1 ham and pineapple and a couple with mushrooms,tomatoe,hot salami topped with cheese. :hungry: