Exterior Waterproofing

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
Ok it is not about my van, but we carry a tent for my daughter and I need to water proof the roof of it. Any suggestions on products that I should use or avoid?
Well now about the van: Should I be doing the same with my bed ends of my Expanda. I do not have a hard lid van.

Pauline

Dec 10, 2016
Perth
Hi @1DayIII, I think that there is something on here somewhere about waterproofing the bed ends. The advice was to weather the canvas by wetting it really well with a hose then letting it dry out before wetting it again. This apparently shrinks all the holes in the canvas and also the sewing machine needle holes. We did this with our expanda and really soaked it and no water came through at all, although we purchased our van as a used van so not certain if the previous owner had done anything different. We purchased a can of Silicone water guard to treat our jackets as they were not water proof when we got drenched not long ago. Only one treatment is all that is needed and it's suitable for cotton, canvas, nylon and other synthetic fabrics. The can was around $20

Reactions: bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Depends on what the tent is made of ????

Canvas then just set it up, run over the stitching with bee's wax then soak it all down, inside and out with the hose, best out of the sun especially to dry and in an airy spot, then pack it all away..........., like all canvas it will weep if touched when wet........
Afterwards you can use the liquid stuff thats used on Drizabone coats, pour into a spray bottle and give it a soak, works well, the soaking with water should be done initially no matter what the salesmen says, it works.

If it's Nylon stuff then a fly is advised, in fact a fly should be used over all tents.

I would do the same for the bed ends.

KECL

Aug 16, 2016
Secret Harbour WA
Agree with @Drover, a fly should be used over the 'soft-top' bed ends. We had a Flamingo and I found the roof 'hockey stick' ensured the roof could leak at times because it touches the roof, hence I used fly's. grown up now and have a hard-top Expanda.

Reactions: bigcol

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Ok it is not about my van, but we carry a tent for my daughter and I need to water proof the roof of it. Any suggestions on products that I should use or avoid?
Well now about the van: Should I be doing the same with my bed ends of my Expanda. I do not have a hard lid van.
Nixwax have an extensive range of solutions for both ... theyre my waterproofing products of choice