Water Tanks

hamish22

May 12, 2013
West of Newcastle
www.grmotorsport.com.au
Being that this is my first van with hot water system, what I want to know is can I travel with empty water tanks or must I have some in them?

I was told by one of the service guys that I must have water in them at all times for the hot water system, but if it is turned off that shouldn't be a problem should it?

rojoberry

Mar 16, 2012
Pakenham Victoria
That doesn't sound right if the hot water service is not turned on why would it require water in the tank. We don't have a hot water service but have travelled on most occasion with the water tank empty having 4 kids and a dog sometimes I need every skerrick of weight I can get, we just use the hose onsite when we get to our destination.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Nah we drive with empty tanks all the time.
You just need to be diligent that the hot water service is turned off when not in use.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
I always travel with at least some water in both 80 litre tanks and the toilet flush tank. There's 20+ litres of water in the HWS and it's a pressure system and I just don't have to worry about the pump sucking air or accidently turning on the HWS with the holding tank empty.
If you need to travel with empty tanks make certain HWS system is completely OFF including the 12v water pump.
When you get to your destination fill your water tanks (with draw bar tap open to ensure you get a complete fill), then turn on the pump to fill HWS tank if needed (I suggest you depress the pressure release valve until water flows out so you know that it's full), then run kitchen tap (hot setting) to check water flow, finally turn on your HWS.

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
You can travel with empty tanks and even have the HWS on as water will only come out of the HWS tank if water is pumped in, if you also drain the HWS tank then it's a must to turn off the HWS or you will blow the element.

As Xpandafan said it's a good idea to have a small amount of water in the tank for washing lunch dishes, emergencies and also keeping the air out of the water pipes.

Christian

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Yeah I often drain ours, but as above the element will blow if no water or the enamel be damaged if gas heated without water. Be careful pulling the Presure relief valve too, if a bit of crud gets stuck under the valve seat or it just doesn't seat properly again your heater will continue to leak. This goes for your home HWS aswell. Yes I know the instructions they give you tell you to check it occasionally but plumbers will tell you the opposite.