17' Series Water tank problem

Themoneypennys

Mar 24, 2013
Hi guys
I need a bit of advice. We're away on holiday in our 17.56-2 and I have filled both water tanks but only 1 is showing full on the controller. The tanks seem to be emptying real quick so I'm assuming only one is full. Checked for leaks and only using pump for shower not sink. Looked under the van and found nothing. Any ideas would be great.
Thanks

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Are you sure both tanks are full. Did you fill them separately. Is the valve between the two tanks open.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
There should be a 3 way tap that links the 2 tanks. The trap is usually next the front tank on the road side. (Unless 17's are different) It's hard to see but there should be an arrow on the tap, it needs to point downwards to connect both tanks.

This will drain both tanks together.

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

Themoneypennys

Mar 24, 2013
Tap is pointing down and back tank seems full. Might be a problem with the control unit maybe? Was working last time we went away. Had van serviced just before e left this time. Wonder if they've upset something.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Maybe it could have a line that is kinked?

I'd remove the line before the tap coming from the rear tank and see if any water comes out, then work from there maybe the tap has an obstruction?

Last edited:
Reactions: Marv_mart

Themoneypennys

Mar 24, 2013
Thanks for the help. For some reason when I switched the pump on and off a couple of times after I checked everything, the control panel (drifter) was reading both tanks. I think you maybe right with a loose sender wire somewhere.
Love this forum everyone is willing to help out.
Cheers

Reactions: Bluey and skippy

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
The drifter only picks up the tank levels when the pump is switched on at the drifter.
So if your on the mains water and the pump is turn off the drifter remembers the last time the pump was switched on and shows the history from last time.

If you reset the drifter it can sometimes turn off other tanks as well.

Themoneypennys

Mar 24, 2013
Not really sure what the problem was but all good now. Other than the kids wanting 30 min showers!! Lol
Thanks for all the info though it was good. We are still kinda finding our feet with the caravan thing. Been slowly modding the van though.

Apr 26, 2014
Jamestown, SA
Hi, a little off topic, however I have since getting our panda 20.63-1 from new, we have had issues with the water situation.

Issue No# 1: Air locks in pipe work, i have tightened ever fitting and it still amazes me that the inlet to the pump is still sucking air, looses prime then i have to bleed the pipe work to the sinks, i have had the misses loose the plot on one occasion. I have managed to get the front tank to function no probs now, however the rear tank i still have issues with. I will revisit this in the next few weeks and re-route the labyrinth of pipe work and fix it up in-defiantly.

Issue No# 2: Filling the tank. This has driven me batty having to trickle the water flow into the front tank, and even drip the water into the rear other wise the water spews all over the place. It looked really embarrassing, when we where trying to top-up our water at a BP servo (on the sligh) while fill the car with diesel. The problem is the inlet pipe and its ups and downs and also when the breather gets water in the line.

So heaven behold.
Using a rubber fitting from the end of a waste water hose, a cut down irrigation filter, a tap fitting and a hose clamp, problem gone. We can now fill the tank quickly with little to no water leaks. The filler inlet on the van has a little lip which holds the rubber fitting in place. The only improvement i can see would be an 90degree elbow and an on/off valve. Also no more pulling the fitting off the end of the hose any more. And most importantly we can continue to fuel the car and borrow BP's water.

Enjoy;
upload_2014-10-13_15-57-53.jpeg

upload_2014-10-13_15-58-6.jpeg

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
Hi, a little off topic, however I have since getting our panda 20.63-1 from new, we have had issues with the water situation.

Issue No# 1: Air locks in pipe work, i have tightened ever fitting and it still amazes me that the inlet to the pump is still sucking air, looses prime then i have to bleed the pipe work to the sinks, i have had the misses loose the plot on one occasion. I have managed to get the front tank to function no probs now, however the rear tank i still have issues with. I will revisit this in the next few weeks and re-route the labyrinth of pipe work and fix it up in-defiantly.

Issue No# 2: Filling the tank. This has driven me batty having to trickle the water flow into the front tank, and even drip the water into the rear other wise the water spews all over the place. It looked really embarrassing, when we where trying to top-up our water at a BP servo (on the sligh) while fill the car with diesel. The problem is the inlet pipe and its ups and downs and also when the breather gets water in the line.

So heaven behold.
Using a rubber fitting from the end of a waste water hose, a cut down irrigation filter, a tap fitting and a hose clamp, problem gone. We can now fill the tank quickly with little to no water leaks. The filler inlet on the van has a little lip which holds the rubber fitting in place. The only improvement i can see would be an 90degree elbow and an on/off valve. Also no more pulling the fitting off the end of the hose any more. And most importantly we can continue to fuel the car and borrow BP's water.

Enjoy;
View attachment 27341

View attachment 27342
Gday All4boefpckers

I like your simple water filler attachment.
Re loosing suction. Check that all the John Guest fittings have the pipe pushed right into the fitting and that the red circlips are in place. Also found that we had an issue with the hand pump as it was allowing air into the system, so I put a one way valve in the water pipe under the van. Since then no more problems with the water delivery nor the pump.

Reactions: achjimmy