Exterior Water Filter Cartridge Storage

GregW

Jan 30, 2013
Perth
Hi all,

After some advise on storing water filter cartridges when caravan is in storage. I have been told to take the cartridges out of the filter canisters and store them in the fridge in a plastic bag. I have done that and one of them has gone a nasty black colour, not user I want to use it anymore. I have also been told not to let them dry out. They are to expensive to just throwout and keep buying new ones.

Thanks

Greg

Reactions: Herbertclan

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Given the price of decent filters and the risk that using them intermittently is worse than not using them at all, we buy a box of water from the supermarket for drinking and use the unknown campsite tap water for everything else. Unless you are doing a big trip, I suspect that this is the cheaper option and guarantees safe water.
At home, we are on tank water and have 3 stages of water filtration including silver / carbon filters but can't justify buying a new filter for each camper trip, and don't want to use one that has sat in the shed between trips as an ideal growth medium for the bugs that they had previously filtered out.
Sorry but can't answer why your filter has gone black.

GregW

Jan 30, 2013
Perth
Given the price of decent filters and the risk that using them intermittently is worse than not using them at all, we buy a box of water from the supermarket for drinking and use the unknown campsite tap water for everything else. Unless you are doing a big trip, I suspect that this is the cheaper option and guarantees safe water.
At home, we are on tank water and have 3 stages of water filtration including silver / carbon filters but can't justify buying a new filter for each camper trip, and don't want to use one that has sat in the shed between trips as an ideal growth medium for the bugs that they had previously filtered out.
Sorry but can't answer why your filter has gone black.

Thanks,

We use bottled water to drink etc too. Just use thr filter when on site or filling the tanks on a long trip.

Might just buy new filters for long trips I think