20' Series Water coming out of tank inlet when mains connected

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Of course the quick way to stop it happening till you can have it sorted is shut of the tank taps, the tanks on our Golden Eagle were pouring water out the breather pipe under the van because the NRV had packed it in. Though in my case its also the mains inlet

Attachments

• IMG_20170826_084829~2.jpg
    IMG_20170826_084829~2.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 266
Reactions: Drover

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
The NRV in the pump is accessed by removing 6 (ish) screws and separating the black plastic bit which contains the pump diaphragm, the nrv, a pressure cut off switch and bypass valve. The NRV is right under the pressure switch. Mine stopped leaking after I cleaned it even though I couldn't see anything wrong.
I installed a john guest one in the same location as the picture above but it can change your pump behavior. I posted my pressure/bypass setting procedure on here a while ago.

I also installed a NRV on the HWS inlet to stop the expansion of hot water pushing back into the cold line. Mostly because I don't want to drink water from the HWS.

Reactions: Axl and Drover

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
A little off topic but does anyone know the reason for this valve? its only in vans with a hot water service from what I can gather.

I can only guess that closing it would allow maintenance to be done on the hot water service (if mains water was not connected) still allowing water to be pumped up from the tanks if required.

ex.jpg

Last edited:

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
I also installed a NRV on the HWS inlet to stop the expansion of hot water pushing back into the cold line. Mostly because I don't want to drink water from the HWS.

Hi @jazzeddie1234 I was led to believe that the inlet side of the Surburban hot water system had a NRV/check valve in it the like the one pictured below but after doing a bit of Googling it would appear they haven't. I need to check mine and if it hasn't got one I will be adding one as ASAP for the exact same reason you mentioned.

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 234

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yep mine have had similar, in fact house has same, a NRV with shut off for cold water supply to HWS is what I think they are described as, though that one looks to only control flow from pump and I assume the mains supply is on the other side, looks like typical plumbing by Jayco.... I would guess the valve is fitted to stop mains flow to pump as the pump NRV failed.

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
My pump plumbing was the same spaghetti setup although my version after relocating the pump is not much better... No idea why the tap is there but it makes pump adjustments really easy. I turn the sink taps on full and use that tap to regulate the flow while adjusting the pressure and bypass valves.
I didn't think to check the HWS inlet fitting for a NRV but, from memory, water did flow out the cold inlet when I disconnected everything.

Falco

Jul 4, 2016
Gold Coast
Just an update on this. I have been talking to someone supposedly in the know and this is the way the Jayco dealers fix the problem of water coming out of the tank inlets when connected to mains.

To fix the problem of water coming out of the tank inlets, when connected to mains, the “correct” fix as used by Jayco service departments is, to fit new water pump, which is usually a Shurflo 4009. Priced from $120 at caravansplus.com.au
and put a JohnGuest non return valve at the water inlet box, remove the existing built in non return valve at the mains water filler.

The Jayco service departments no longer use the old way of fixing this, which is to fit the non return valve close to the outlet side of the water pump. Supposedly because if you fit this too close to the pump it may pulsate or depending on lay out of the plumbing it still may not fix the problem.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thats the biggest load of codswallop I have ever heard ................... justifies the expense of a new pump, I wonder if that happens on warranty claims or only for outside warranty, also quicker than a repair job..................

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
Hahaha great if it's under warranty I guess.

Yes the pump settings need to be changed if you put a nrv just after the pump but that's a 1 min job... not a pump replacement justification

And yes, removing the stock nrv in the hose connection is a great idea to improve flow because the pressure reducing /limiting valve already has one internally

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
removing the stock nrv in the hose connection is a great idea to improve flow because the pressure reducing /limiting valve already has one internally

Not neccessarily, best way to check is remove NRV then turn the pump on, water spurts out of mains inlet then NO, no spurts then YES..........

Reactions: jazzeddie1234

Falco

Jul 4, 2016
Gold Coast
I had my water problem fixed by a “expert” a while ago. He replaced my pump and that fixed the problem I had at the time. Now when I use the water pump, the water flies out the mains inlet. I have temporarily fixed this problem by fitting a siliconed up dummy fitting onto the mains inlet. But any ideas what’s going on.
I have tried phoning the guy that fixed it last time but doesn’t return calls.

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
I had my water problem fixed by a “expert” a while ago. He replaced my pump and that fixed the problem I had at the time. Now when I use the water pump, the water flies out the mains inlet. I have temporarily fixed this problem by fitting a siliconed up dummy fitting onto the mains inlet. But any ideas what’s going on.
I have tried phoning the guy that fixed it last time but doesn’t return calls.
It's not pump related, the mains inlet non return valve(s) have failed/clogged. Easiest fix is to replace the brass pressure reducing valve located under the floor. Bunnings or any plumber has them. Or if you are handy, dismantle the valve and unclog the non return located in the front part. You release the pipes by pressing the very outside ring of the plastic fittings inwards and the pipes will easily come free. Locate the valve body by tracing the mains inlet pipe from the box, through the floor. It's usually the first thing before it joins all the other pipework

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yep its the NRV thats failed and depending on your fitting as to location but usually with Jayco if you have the dinky white hose fitting which you plug your hose onto, the NRV is located inside that, the easiest and most simple way to fix it is buy a John Guest NRV fitting which you fit to the line just inside from the hose connection, a clean sharp cut of the poly pipe and taking note of the arrow on the fitting plug it in, this fitting will cost maybe $20 to $25, not all PRV valves have a NRV so I would go the Guest fitting myself, as a PRV will cost you $60, always handy to carry a few guest fittings in the spares box....

You can pull off the hose fitting and use a side cutter to cut the dodgy valve out so it doesn't slow the flow.

Reactions: jazzeddie1234

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
I have seen a number of valves fitted the wrong way around !There is an arrow on the valve indicating which way the water flows.Jayco seem to think differently.!