14' Series WA Pricing - 14.44-4

Andrewm

Dec 5, 2016
Perth
Hi,

So after a year long deliberation and at least 2x show visits we are finally ready to commit to an expanda.

The next problem is actually getting one reasonably priced in WA. The prices I am getting new are 5k-7k higher than interstate. In some instances, if I lived in Vic or ACT as an example I could get a bigger van, with more options for a similar price to a vanilla 14 foot in WA. There is just no willingness to negotiate here.

At the show, the price for the 14 foot with bunks (plus hot water, storm covers, picnic table, outdoor shower) was around ~47k.

What I am looking for is advice on alternative options ? There is no 2nd hand market here, I can't take time off to pick up one interstate and dealers in other states have said they require buyers to be present at collection.

I would have thought a dealer in any other state with stock on the floor would be happy to ship to WA dealer and make a sale (with me picking up cost of transport). However this appears not to be the case.

Andrew

willobee

Apr 8, 2015
Perth
Seems there is something odd there andrew.
We got our 16.49.4 outback for less than that in 2015!

I was also under the impression that Jayco had introduced national pricing to balance things better.
This looks like it may have changed.

Understand the present at pickup, could you organise to be there and have a transport company tow it away and ship back to WA?

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I was under the impression that the delivery fee was the same Perth / Melbourne / wherever

who were you dealing with at Caravanland?

something does not seem right to me.........I understand price rises etc, but thats a massive chunk of change for a 14'
as @willobee said, my 2013 16.49.1 was way less than that - from Caravanland

jeff

Mar 4, 2013
200km south of Perth
Have you checked how the pricing is on a different brand with similar features compare?
Our 14.44.5 OB in 2012 was ~$42k, and the touring model was around $5k cheaper
We bought ex stock. As ours had an ensuite it included hot water but no outdoor shower of storm covers

Reactions: bigcol

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I had what I would describe as your classic market monopoly issues when I had repair work quoted by Caravanland. They flatly refused to even contact the factory for a parts timeline until I paid a significant deposit for the repair upfront, which I was reluctant to do without a repair timetable. I then discovered they had tried to bypass me and have the repair authorised via the Insurance company, I kid you not, CIL rang to advise me they couldn't action the "claim" because the repairer hadnt provided photos with the repair report. This stemmed from part of a conversation with Caravanland service that I may likely make a claim (dependent on the quote), but they would be dealing with me directly. In their arrogance they decided otherwise.

The quote CIL had received was almost $3000. The damage was superficial (non structural), the retail parts cost $700 with an hour labour to screw them on. At that price I decided to just tape it up and repair it myself when we got home. At home, the van went into our dealer for some warranty work and out of interest I ask for a quote on the damage .... $1000.

So .... I have very strong views about the integrity, gouging and arrogance of Caravanland, and from my experience your story is on no surprise.

Ive heard of interstate people buying from Vic dealers and having the delivery handled by brothers, uncles, friends. Whats the freight costs of you shipping it over to WA

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Yep it is still cheaper to go for a holiday to Vic stay in hotels/motels on the way over and have a great holiday on the way home.
National pricing is just a guide (a start price) just like rrp on Cars.

KECL

Aug 16, 2016
Secret Harbour WA
Similar to others in this thread, I thought Jayco did have a national price - they did advertise this some months ago.
Agree Caravanland have a monopoly on Jaycos over here - we need another independent dealer for some competition.
@Andrewm raised concerns regarding second hand market in WA is good; our experience is we bought our 16.49.1 here in Perth on second hand market - we found plenty to look at - some were crap but others were in good nick. Just stick with it as it took us 3-months to find the right van in good nick.

Reactions: CEJ and bigcol