Suspension van tyres

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
IF??? on a twin axel van you had to mix tyre brands(two wheels) would you put matching tyres on opposite sides of the van or would you fit the tyres on each axel (front and rear) in a perfect world you would replace all tyres at the same time , but the manager of finance and war in not keen on getting rid of two near new tyres, which are now superseded, my uninformed choice is probably same axel so that the brakes are balanced ,then in a big lockup the van should stop in a straight line ,any comments???

Last edited:

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Good question. I would be inclined to put them on the same axle. Are all 4 tyres are the same width and aspect ratio.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
IF??? on a twin axel van you had to mix tyre brands(two wheels) would you put matching tyres on opposite sides of the van or would you fit the tyres on each axel (front and rear) in a perfect world you would replace all tyres at the same time , but the manager of finance and war in not keen on getting ride of two near new tyres, which are now superseded, my uninformed choice is probably same axel so that the brakes are balanced ,then in a big lockup the van should stop in a straight line ,any comments???
@poor but proud , IMO, same brand and type/size should be on the same axle, not mixed across the van on the same axle. The second axle can have different tyre brands if necessary as long as same size and profile on each wheel.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
While not ideal but they should be on same axel, so long as same size, tread and most important load rating, if the load rating doesn't match up you will have different tyre pressures required, which means the tyres won't behave the same, with a sideways movement one set will flex more than the other set .
The older tyres shouldn't be more than 5 years old going by the stamp on the side wall and given a good check over........................ You will have to keep an eye on tyre pressures at first and have them at the 4-6 psi above cold as they will possibly want different pressure.....

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
While not ideal but they should be on same axel, so long as same size, tread and most important load rating, if the load rating doesn't match up you will have different tyre pressures required, which means the tyres won't behave the same, with a sideways movement one set will flex more than the other set .
The older tyres shouldn't be more than 5 years old going by the stamp on the side wall and given a good check over........................ You will have to keep an eye on tyre pressures at first and have them at the 4-6 psi above cold as they will possibly want different pressure.....
after reading the replies ,she who must be obeyed now agrees to the wisdom of 4 new tyres on the van, the boat trailer can have the two 1/2 worn tyres off the van and the two newer van tyres become the spares for the boat and the van , WIN WIN all around ,still looking at options for replacement but nankang cw25 (185r14) show pretty good reviews for light truck ,road tyres

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
Local tyre supplier just showed me a couple of the cheap white rims that are being sold , customer came in and said tyres not holding pressure, when they put them into the water tank there were slow leaks coming from very poor standard welding on the rims , when tyres were first fitted it was the paint holding the pressure ,in time that cracked and down went the pressure ,btw. A lot of those cheapies you see is a brand of tyre called triangle the reviews point to a very dangerous tyre on a wet road , let the buyer beware, how come they are allowed to import and put this rubbish on the roads????

• Wow
Reactions: Boots in Action

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Lots of rims made in china/thailand etc have this problem, Jayco and other vans have had this leak problem over the years, I replaced mine on the Tardis with some good old RoH aussie made jobs which had a decent LR as well, something often overlooked not too bad on dual axle jobs but on a single axle you really need ones specced for 1.2t or more, nowadays I'd go for rims that are mine rated which usually means the chinky rubbish is missing from the catalogue... my 14.44 had 900kg rated rims and the tyres were about the same, totally inadequate for a van at near 1800kgs...............

Since most van wheels/tyres are abused or forgotten about you want quality rims and tyres, I have always gone for a known brand for my vans, they sit around a lot, get screwed around when used and often don't get rotated at age/distance and very rarely get turned when parked up for months on end, so you want a well made tyre thats going to last the years as age is the change over time not distance on van tyres..... Big Mal has Yokahama Geolanders fitted and getting close to 5 years old, at least they have done the miles so be ready in 2 years to get changed, the spare which is one of the old runners will get replaced by one of these yokies................ next year start looking at the get 4 pay for 3 specials, 265 75R16's aren't cheap rubber in LT.....

Triangle tyres have been around a long time along with Double Coin and numerous other brands all made in China, I always reckon suitable for the old work ute but not for something thats is clocking up miles or speed, old boss fitted some double coin to my truck once, he soon realized no savings to be made as blokes wouldn't drive the vehicles or always calling out the tyre mob, mine thankfully found some stakes in a paddock so back to the Dunlops or Bridgies ..................