Electrical USB in Powerpoint

Jemmo

Feb 25, 2016
Bendigo, Vic
Hi all,

We recently upgraded our study, and took the opportunity to install these type of power points (apologies for the poor photo, it's in a hard to get to cupboard)

Has anyone put these in their vans (or asked Jayco to supply a new van with them installed) and are there any issues with putting these in a van.
Also, would it be possible to connect them so they work off the 12 system when free camping?
Cheers
20160319_150832.jpg

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
We've had them for a couple of years and find only one charges effectively at a time. If you connect a phone to each of the USBs only one will charge so we've been a bit disappointed.

Have now reverted to the 240v Apple type plug with the USB inlet and can charge two at a time. (There have been warnings issued on safety for this type of charger by Apple and they will replace them with the properly certified Apple plug. Cheap Chinese knockoffs have caused the fires and the problems)

As for 12v in the van I would definately not muck around with the 240 plug. The 12v sockets, if wired properly, charge toys very effectively....

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
The issue with the power points in your study is they are single pole ie the switch only turns off the active conductor. These type of outlets in a mobile type installation eg caravans, campers and site shed/portable structures need to be double pole that is the switch operates both the active and neutral conductor. The USB portion is an accessory to the power point and would be live all the time.

Reactions: Drover and dagree

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Our Basestation was supposed to have a similar GPO with USB but was omitted at factory. Dealer fitted Narva 12v dual outlet and I have since added a couple more. Prefer the Narva outlets since can be used when on 12v, or when on 240v (via the battery charging to replenish any minimal draw).
Agree with comment above regarding 2 pole GPOs - safer, legal, but more costly. New Jaycos have a plug and play set up that enables you to DIY additional sockets - probably also enables them to avoid employing sparkies to wire the vans.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
As @MDS69 and @pauljygrant said the GPO's must be double pole type for safety (And legal reasons).
I also added a couple of 12V plugs wired direct to the setec (See below) and a 12V "double adaptor" to the TV point (Runs the satellite decoder and TV.... Daughter plugs her phone in there when she comes with us).

12V power sockets 01.jpg

Reactions: MDS69

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I have been looking for something like those in double pole to no avail.

An no, you wouldn't be able to run them off the 12v side even if you could get them.

Best to look for some high capacity 12v ones that will work on both.

Jemmo

Feb 25, 2016
Bendigo, Vic
Thanks everyone, great feedback/info.

A couple more qu's (i'm no electrician but i'l have a go)
- does "plug & play" mean there are spare slots in the the fuse box to wire to or am I misunderstanding?
- @mfexpanda are the ones you've got from a jaycar or similar? Any suggestions on brands (yours looks ideal)?
Thanks

Reactions: mfexpanda

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic

- does "plug & play" mean there are spare slots in the the fuse box to wire to or am I misunderstanding?
- @mfexpanda are the ones you've got from a jaycar or similar? Any suggestions on brands (yours looks ideal)?
Thanks
Narva on eBay

Jemmo

Feb 25, 2016
Bendigo, Vic
OK, feeling a little dumb now - what's the setec unit?
(I'm hoping a lot of this becomes clearer once the new van arrives)

Maxisverymad

Jun 23, 2015
Tawonga Vic
The Setec unit is the vans DC power supply unit.
This unit depending on model will convert 240v to 13v dc, charge batteries etc
This is generally the place to pick up extra 12v circuits from going through dedicated fuses.

But I'm sure all will be explained when you pick up your new van :)

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014

Thanks

Plug and play in this context means the 240V cabling is pre-manufactured so you don't have to make terminations, think of an extension lead. The GPO's don't have terminals like traditional GPO's that a licensed electrician installs but a socket that the pre-manufactured lead plugs into which allows the installer to daisy chain all the 240V wiring and sockets. IMO still not a think for novices to attempt....

Reactions: dagree

Jemmo

Feb 25, 2016
Bendigo, Vic
Thank you everyone. Will wait until the van arrives and go from there (late May feels a long way away at the moment!!)
@Maxisverymad I like your switch to isolate when not in use - I think I'll borrow that idea!!
Cheers

Reactions: Maxisverymad