Underslung conversion

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I am thinking of getting the underslung conversion done on our 16-49-4. Not going to go full off-road, just the occasional national park trip up to the Murray etc. As we are going to get an annexe I thought it best to do the conversion first. The only issue I can see is the need the fit a step (anyone done this?), changing the hitch height and letting insurance company know. I think the Alko drop downs should still be OK. Anything else I should think of?

Cheers Geoff

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
I am thinking of getting the underslung conversion done on our 16-49-4. Not going to go full off-road, just the occasional national park trip up to the Murray etc. As we are going to get an annexe I thought it best to do the conversion first. The only issue I can see is the need the fit a step (anyone done this?), changing the hitch height and letting insurance company know. I think the Alko drop downs should still be OK. Anything else I should think of?
Cheers Geoff
Yep. Fully recommend. Best mod that I've (had) done. Just use a folding caravan step like this. Safe and sturdy (about$60).
image.jpg

malibu

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
central coast nsw
It is an interesting question under slinging.
I did to my first van in 2011 .... easy to do but the rules http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2007C00494
have a look at this first http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/vsb1/vsb_01_b.aspx#16
If you have an overlay axle flipping it is not an option due to they often have a bend in them making the camber ?wrong.so the guide tabs have to be relocated and the spring assembly bolts reversed, a strait axle is easier. Should be around $400.

Now that your head is spinning Take a look at a new boat trailer and some Aussie built big vans and you will find ball heights well outside the rules and even tail light way too high so you can make up you own mind .I just mention this cause someone else will.
Try ring the RTA and ask for an engineer if in NSW ,I was pleasantly surprised. The 3 insurance companies I rang just wanted it to be done in a professional manner(not necessary to be a professional). And don't forget to add mud flaps.
Raising our expanda made it a lot safer to tow as it no longer bottomed out in pot holes or driveways.
Check current regulations for your state ,I heard a mod sheet has to be done now?

The other bonus items , I found fish plate cracked Guides out by 17 mill on one side of the axle leading to bent hangers and skewed axle ,bolt locking weld failed so spring bush badly worn(van had less than 8,000k on it. And very poor welding even mine was much better!

Have fun

Attachments

• after.JPG
    after.JPG
    862.7 KB · Views: 742
  • cracked fish plate.JPG
    cracked fish plate.JPG
    859.2 KB · Views: 554
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    801.7 KB · Views: 606
  • Damaged bush.JPG
    Damaged bush.JPG
    843.6 KB · Views: 522
Last edited:

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
It is an interesting question under slinging.
I did to my first van in 2011 .... easy to do but the rules http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2007C00494
have a look at this first http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/vsb1/vsb_01_b.aspx#16
If you have an overlay axle flipping it is not an option due to they often have a bend in them making the camber ?wrong.so the guide tabs have to be relocated and the spring assembly bolts reversed, a strait axle is easier. Should be around $400.

Now that your head is spinning Take a look at a new boat trailer and some Aussie built big vans and you will find ball heights well outside the rules and even tail light way too high so you can make up you own mind .I just mention this cause someone else will.
Try ring the RTA and ask for an engineer if in NSW ,I was pleasantly surprised. The 3 insurance companies I rang just wanted it to be done in a professional manner(not necessary to be a professional). And don't forget to add mud flaps.
Raising our expanda made it a lot safer to tow as it no longer bottomed out in pot holes or driveways.
Check current regulations for your state ,I heard a mod sheet has to be done now?

The other bonus items , I found fish plate cracked Guides out by 17 mill on one side of the axle leading to bent hangers and skewed axle ,bolt locking weld failed so spring bush badly worn(van had less than 8,000k on it. And very poor welding even mine was much better!

Have fun
That weld is a ripper my 13 year old Daughter can do better than that one!

malibu

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
central coast nsw
Captn,
It was lucky I did it otherwise I think the plate would have given way!
There were dents in the plate consistent with a sledge hammer hitting it ,causing the hangers to bend so the axle would fit!
See pic of bolt weld which missed the hanger causing bush damage.
No such problems on my new Jayco or any others I have looked at.

Attachments

• DSC02537.JPG
    DSC02537.JPG
    870.1 KB · Views: 375

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Getting the underslung conversion done tomorrow, then I can order an annexe.

Sounds good let us know how it goes and how much height you gain!

I had the disco underslung at factory but its not enough as the step jayco provided scrapes on our driveway.

Either just going to remove the provided step from Jayco and get a step ladder as suggested by @Xpandafan or get some bigger rims / tyres.

LUK77Y

Dec 22, 2012
Central Coast - NSW
I had this mod done to a 16.49.1 a few months back! All I can say as awesome! no more bottoming out on humps, a good chunk of additional clearance and perfect towing alignment now with my tug. You will be surprised how much she comes up! Makes a considerable difference for any rough tracks/dirt trails etc.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I will do before and after photos. @LUK77Y did you have any hassles with drop down jacks etc. I just want a little more clearance for those little short National Park tracks to try a bit of free camping. This tug is only 2wd so I can't go too rough anyway. Next tug 4wd.

Cheers Geoff

LUK77Y

Dec 22, 2012
Central Coast - NSW
I will do before and after photos. @LUK77Y did you have any hassles with drop down jacks etc. I just want a little more clearance for those little short National Park tracks to try a bit of free camping. This tug is only 2wd so I can't go too rough anyway. Next tug 4wd.

Cheers Geoff
No problems. The Alko Jacks still reach the ground fine.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
All done. Surgery complete. Just have to play around with the hitch height on the weekend. Wife noticed the height difference, she didn't think it would be as high :).

Cheers Geoff

Attachments

• IMG_1286.JPG
    IMG_1286.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 785
  • IMG_2433.JPG
    IMG_2433.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 760

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Yes, I can reverse the hitch. I have a drop down eezhitch, I was sold the wrong one to begin with as mine dropped down to low. I plan to set the height then the caravan service guys said they would cut the excess off. Happy with their service so far.

Ken Bennetts

Nov 1, 2013
I had a Sterling underslung by the factory a couple of vans ago. Very happy with the result. The option came with a fold out step and longer drop down jacks.
Have just ordered a 14.4-4 Expanda with an underslung axle and have been advised that the factory choice now is to block the suspension to give similar clearance. Not sure exactly what all this will entail but the end result should obtain the same aim. I hope!!

Ken Bennetts

Nov 1, 2013
Another option to got that little extra clearance I have seen reference to its a flat axle. I do not know what this is but when I asked when ordering my new van was informed that this is not an available option on the Expanda.