Two Anderson Plugs ? One for 184 ltr fridge , Other direct to Dual Batteries ?

Doggy

Aug 20, 2011
Cairns , NTH QLD
Hey all, need some input here. I already have an Anderson Plug running direct to our fridge from the vehicle while travelling. No Problem.

HOWEVER !!!

The Jayco dealer no says with a hot wire running from pin No.2 to charge breakaway Battery & Dual 100 Amp batteries in the van it is not enough given the actual size of the wire into the plug. And also as explained to me by Jayco dealer that by the time the power gets to the batteries it has lost that much that the dual batteries are not getting sufficient charge from Pin No.2

OK.

What is the remedy Mr Jayco Dealer ?

Answer.

Run a second Anderson Plug direct to the dual batteries with a regulator so they do not over charge & so it is on a 50 amp setup instead of a 10 amp set up as is the hotwire from Pin No.2.

My question then was .
So do I have to run a whole new line from the vehicle charge system ?
Jayco dealer answer.
No .
Piggyback off the Anderson you already have for the fridge which runs from the vehicle including in the line is a 50 amp circuit breaker & self turning off relay when the ignition is switched off in the vehicle.

So, does anyone else run two Anderson plugs for the same purpose as what I wish to have set up.

Cheers,
Doggy.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
No but if you are going to all this trouble I think I would be finding someone who can properly work out your theoretical total amp draw with all those items running and find out how big that cable really needs to be.
Isn't that all this is about in the end? A thicker cable capable of handling a higher amp draw?

Jim and Tab

Jul 29, 2011
Bendigo Victoria
i dont understand why mr jayco wants you to run a reg.
the alternator has a reg
i run an anderson plug from the front of the pajero to the back with a 50 amp fuse
that plugs to anderson plug on the van that i wired directly to the battery
and ive wired the fridge direct to battery
iv ran the thickest wire that fits into the anderson plugs
cheers jim-tab and diamond

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Go to the traxide web site and ring him up (Tim) I spoke with him and he gave excellent advise he suggested 6b&s cable for the twin battery charging if I was going to do it from scratch.

Doggy

Aug 20, 2011
Cairns , NTH QLD
Jim & Tab,
They said to put the reg in line so that when both batteries are fully charged while drive it does not continue to over charge the batteries & cook them. That was what they said to me .
There is already 6 B & S cable run from the vehicle charge system to the rear of the vehicle with the Anderson plug fitted.
I am still unsure if I can piggyback off this plug to have 2 Anderson Plugs running off the same line ?

If so I will do this.

Cheers , Doggy.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Maybe someone else can chip in here, but I thought piggybacking like you say would just increase the load / heat that you could possibly generate in the single line section. But the combined load of your items connected may be well below the maximum anyway. Thus 2 lines could be overkill.
To answer the question I think you need to do the maths to work out your maximum load.

Jim and Tab

Jul 29, 2011
Bendigo Victoria
a vehicle reg can not overcharge your batterys
i have piggybacked of the anderson plug on the pajero and i run a lead inside the back that i use to recharge a portable battery box that i run the fridge off.
we havnt blown a fuse yet or cooked wires/baterys yet
i run the fridge of the battery box thats plugged into the piggyback wires so while driving the battery is charging and the fridge dosnt use any battery power.its running off the charge wire
so to speak
then when stopped the relay cuts out the charging wire and fridge runs on the battery box only.
and the plug outside that i piggybacked of is charging the van battery wich in turn is running the fridge.
hope thats not to confusing
cheers jim-tab and diamond

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
Jim & Tab,
They said to put the reg in line so that when both batteries are fully charged while drive it does not continue to over charge the batteries & cook them. That was what they said to me .
There is already 6 B & S cable run from the vehicle charge system to the rear of the vehicle with the Anderson plug fitted.
I am still unsure if I can piggyback off this plug to have 2 Anderson Plugs running off the same line ?

If so I will do this.

Cheers , Doggy.

Hi Doggy
there is no way you can overcharge one battery if they are hooked in parallel. which is how they will be hooked up. the guy who told you that is simply wrong. You can think of it like two water tanks with their outlets hooked together, if one has more water in it it will simply move to the one with less water until they are equal. this is how your batteries work also, that is why you get sparks when you hook up a jump battery. The energy of the full battery is moving to the flat battery. If what he said was true all the vehicles with dual battery set-ups and the many thousands of trucks would have the same problem. As far as your 6B&S cable is concerned it will be more than adequate to to fulfil your requirements.

Doggy

Aug 20, 2011
Cairns , NTH QLD
Boots , thanks for that.

Also I dont need to increase a fuse in the setec because as I understand I am running the 6 B&S from the draw bar straight direct to the batteries. So the charge does not run through the setec.

fraserL322

Mar 4, 2012
With our last camper I had 2 Redarc Dual battery relays in the car, and 2 50A anderson plugs, (one red, one grey -they won't fit each other) One was for the fridge, one for the house battery. It worked a treat. You need 2 relays in the car, otherwise the fridge will run of the house battery drawing power back through both anderson plug wiring. We have just bought our first expanda, and this will be one of the first things I do (after fitting a brake controller in the car!).
Will also fit a DC-DC charger in the van.

Cheers all,
Fraser

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Welcome to the forum, Fraser, and thanks for your input. Give us some info on your expanda and tow vehicle, and where you are based. We thrive on photos. :madgrin:

fraserL322

Mar 4, 2012
Welcome to the forum, Fraser, and thanks for your input. Give us some info on your expanda and tow vehicle, and where you are based. We thrive on photos. :madgrin:

Hello there!
We bought our Expanda yesterday, it's a 2006 16 outback, not sure of exact model, but it has 150 ltr fridge, battery, aircon above fridge, microwave under stove, L - shaped dining area, 2 fold out beds, full annex with extra back room (still in plastic).
Our tow vehicle is a 2002 L322 Rangrover (read: lounge) with a 3.0lt turbo diesel (BMW M57 engine).
I am picking up the Expanda on Monday....just need to fit the Prodigy P3!
We're in Carlton in Melbourne,
Looking forward to out first trip over the upcoming long weekend!

Cheers,
Fraser