Exterior TV Reception Drops

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
Here's one that was unexpected. We've been annoyed on several occasions now when our TV reception drops out unexpectedly. I think we worked out on week 2 that the sink and stove light when turned on reduced reception to the TV. Forgot all about it for the last few weeks and tonight the reception went out the window. The penny dropped again.

The TV antenna has a booster wired into the it that is near a downlight.

Any hints as to how we can overcome this issue?

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I had this problem with the water pump on TV reception . Recently I hooked up the booster to a dedicated 12v line. So far so good but it's early

Stevie No Issues

May 29, 2014
Geelong
Nearly all LED lighting causes RF interference in the ground circuit (-Ve) but usually only effects radio signals not TV. Grab a multi meter and double check you have greater than 12v to the booster when the light is on.. Might just be voltage drop as already mentioned.

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
Is it after a lot of wind blowing outside as well? We have a cable break in the roof the TV will be fine, then the wind will blow and then its stuffed. Once we move again its 50-50 if it comes back or not.

Nope not a wind issue.

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
Nearly all LED lighting causes RF interference in the ground circuit (-Ve) but usually only effects radio signals not TV. Grab a multi meter and double check you have greater than 12v to the booster when the light is on.. Might just be voltage drop as already mentioned.

Looked at the wiring. Downlights are connected to the fan and microwave circuit as well, so probably is a voltage drop. I now have to work out if I can put a new circuit in easily.

Stevie No Issues

May 29, 2014
Geelong
I've had some success in the past adding those little clip on ferrite suppressors too.. You can get them at places like Jaycar or pinch one off a TV lead you already have and give it a try on the power lead to the antenna.

Reactions: Drover and dagree