Electrical Turbo Timers

PeterV

Mar 25, 2015
Turramurra, NSW
Hi All,

Does anyone use a turbo timer? If so, what has been the experience?

It was suggested to me today to fit a Bogaard Turbo Timer to my Pajero. The idea is that it helps ensure the turbo cools down properly after a period of heavy use. This in turn extends the life of the turbo charger (bearings). They work by ensuring the engine runs for a predetermined period of time (from 30 secs up to 5 after you switch off the ignition.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I often thought the same thing about fitting one, my mechanic said modern turbo's in newer vehicles don't really need them with advances in oils etc., though if I've been towing, I always let it idle quite a while, usually while checking into CP's and going to site etc. if arriving home usually let idle while unlocking and opening gates etc.

Reactions: PeterV

PhilW

Jul 12, 2015
Sydney. Northern Beaches.
I have one fitted to my MN Triton and only use it whilst towing or on the open road.
I think idling your Diesel engine down after pushing it via speed or heavy load makes a lot of sense.
These turbos really scream when they are working. I think they could only benefit from a "cool down" before the engine is switched off.
I purchased the one listed below. Plug and play. Fitted into existing dash socket. Job done within the hour.;)

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=121721204665&globalID=EBAY-AU

Reactions: PeterV and Bushman

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
there's one fittered on all excavators I operate but they go flat out all day only the small ones don't have them but I was thinking of putting one on the 100 I get it back tomoz from turbo engineering find out whats been done tomoz

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
there's one fittered on all excavators I operate but they go flat out all day only the small ones don't have them but I was thinking of putting one on the 100 I get it back tomoz from turbo engineering find out whats been done tomoz
Have you had problems with the cruiser?

Shane Norwell

Jan 11, 2015
Bunbury wa
I run a digital exhaust gas temperature gauge in the patrol and once you see how high temps they get when towing you'll see why you should let things cool down before shutting down. Being digital it has a set of electrical contacts that you can use to trigger a light or alarm or whatever, I've used them with a pair of relays to turn the car off once the EGTs drop below 195deg c (if the key is turned off of coarse) so there's no timer per say it just idles for the appropriate time for the work it's been doing.

Reactions: PeterV and PhilW

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
I run a digital exhaust gas temperature gauge in the patrol and once you see how high temps they get when towing you'll see why you should let things cool down before shutting down. Being digital it has a set of electrical contacts that you can use to trigger a light or alarm or whatever, I've used them with a pair of relays to turn the car off once the EGTs drop below 195deg c (if the key is turned off of coarse) so there's no timer per say it just idles for the appropriate time for the work it's been doing.
ours in the diggers are only small but they have a set of times on them which go from half a minute to 5mins you can have what eva you want will take a pic of it tomoz if you want 3mins then 3mins and it stops there very good

Fabulous

Feb 26, 2013
Melbourne
I've never worried about a timer, after working hard, I let it idle for a minute or 2 before I switch off.

I am sure I read somewhere a while ago there was an issue with timers where people would have a timer / car going, lock the car and walk away. Not ideal.

After doing some driver training, if its a manual and in an off road situation, if you need to do a 'key stop / key start' procedure, ie to get the 4wd to an emergency stop down a steep hill, the timer will stop the car from being turned off.

It really depends on how you want to use your vehicle.

Just my thoughts

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
thease ones can be stoped at any time just push the button max !!!! shite forgot the pic get one Monday for sure

Fabulous

Feb 26, 2013
Melbourne
Yes you, but in an emergency stop situation, the less you need to do, the better. (For manuals only)

Just my thoughts.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
1441929389793.jpg Heres a pic of our timers

Chooky

Jan 14, 2013
Glenden, Qld
It's not so much as to letting the turbos cool but to let the RPM of the turbo come back down, whilst under load they are spinning at a ridiculous RPM and if you drive straight in somewhere and shut the engine down the turbo impeller will still be spinning for some time with no oil pressure feeding the bearings, this over time can't be good for them.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
It's not so much as to letting the turbos cool but to let the RPM of the turbo come back down, whilst under load they are spinning at a ridiculous RPM and if you drive straight in somewhere and shut the engine down the turbo impeller will still be spinning for some time with no oil pressure feeding the bearings, this over time can't be good for them.
Yes I agree it just settles them down on the earth moving gear we need them not so much on cars if you take it easy before you stop