Just Browsing Trailamate

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
We are seriously annoyed by the need to stow the jockey wheel inside the vehicle and really looking for alternatives.

Considering a trailamate with just a base plate but would appreciate some feedback from those who've used it.

• Are there different models?
  • Does it replace the Jayco supplied jack?
  • If so, are the Jack points suitable on the van?
  • And the right size?
  • Can I then ditch the Jayco jack?
  • Is it easy to use? Can a weak idiot wind it up with ease?
I realise the weight will not be lower than the supplied jockey wheel....and it still has to be stowed somewhere accessible but wondered if we take out the Jayco Jack, free up some space in the tunnel boot, it could be a multipurpose tool.

That is....if it's as useful as I think. Cost is a factor as well as weight and I'm confused by the research done so far.

Thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone has found it useful and easy!

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
We have one and are 99.9% happy with it compared to using the jockey wheel.
  • Operates hydraulically and no need to wind a handle.
  • No more skinned knuckles on the chequerplate box :o
Dislike:
Not able to fit the supplied jacking plates on the outback :(

• Are there different models? (There is a Mark II model out now with slightly higher capacity)
  • Does it replace the Jayco supplied jack? (Unfortunately being an outback there is no where to have the supplied jacking points fitted :( )
  • If so, are the Jack points suitable on the van? (NO)
  • And the right size? (YES)
  • Can I then ditch the Jayco jack? (Apparently not seeing the supplied jacking points won't fit)
  • Is it easy to use? Can a weak idiot wind it up with ease? (Simple answer... YES.... If I can operate it anyone can)

I leave it stored in the jockey wheel bracket while travelling (Make sure it's as high up as possible). The only thing to do is make up, or buy a steel cable similar to THIS ONE to make sure the plate doesn't drop while traveling.

You probably have been HERE but it gives more details....

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Thanks for that.

We have an outback and have already fitted an extra bracket for an optitech power mover so couldn't fit yet another on draw bar.

It seems I may have to leave things as they are......but may adapt another jockey wheel by taking off the wheel and replacing with a steel plate. I've found the actual wheel goes out of shape and have never even tried to roll the van via the jockey wheel so that might give me a bit more stability.

We've been camped on sand and had to use a block set in the sand for the jockey wheel and I was contemplating what I'd do if it toppled off the wood....hence the base plate idea.

Will ponder a bit more now you've given me the info I was lacking!

Reactions: dagree

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
while I do have a Trailamate I brought off someone on this forum (sorry, but is was awhile ago and have forgotten who it was........DOH)
I have yet to use it

only because I am still reasonably happy with what I use currently, but I brought it with the thought that I would use it instead of what I do use

first, I have added a holder for my Jockey wheel across the draw bar - when travelling, the handle also keeps the cable from dropping too low
and
I use an old old old Jack stand for frontal stability, nice wide base - great on sand, un-even ground, etc
you can see both in the below pictures

IMAG0711.jpg

IMAG0712.jpg

dont know if this could or would help you @Dobbie

Reactions: dagree

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
I use a jockey wheel from bcf with a folding handel makes it very easy to put in car ????? Not very expencive i love it

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Check out BOS jockey @Dobbie - that's what I use for our Journey - stays fixed to drawer bar. I use the original jockey wheel clamp for our Optitech mover (thus is only used at home).
I have found the BOS very good. There is a photo of it in my Journey thread.
Bill

Roosterman

Jul 18, 2015
Hunter Valley
Ive considered one of these also, but not sure id get value for it, I store my jockey wheel in the front tunnel boot when traveling, and when setting up I use the jockey wheel, and a small jack stand which works great TBH, at times I need to fiddle bit to get the height right, but other then that my set up works well.....I understand they would simpler and a bit quicker I guess, just not sure if the outlay would be beneficial....

Just my thoughts...

Cheers...

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Thanks. Will check out the BOS.

We've decided we really need the flat plate....just wondering (and checking) if there's any caravan bylaw which requires a wheel rather than a plate??

Haven't heard of one...but should check I guess.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Been checking out the BOS but can't get an idea on price or if the standard jockey wheel clamp will fit it.

It looks good.

Just have to be sure and work out if it's justified.

Can't see any distributors in Qld but notice they go around the shows.

Might have to call them if we're really serious.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
We are seriously annoyed by the need to stow the jockey wheel inside the vehicle and really looking for alternatives.

Considering a trailamate with just a base plate but would appreciate some feedback from those who've used it.

• Are there different models?
  • Does it replace the Jayco supplied jack?
  • If so, are the Jack points suitable on the van?
  • And the right size?
  • Can I then ditch the Jayco jack?
  • Is it easy to use? Can a weak idiot wind it up with ease?
I realise the weight will not be lower than the supplied jockey wheel....and it still has to be stowed somewhere accessible but wondered if we take out the Jayco Jack, free up some space in the tunnel boot, it could be a multipurpose tool.

That is....if it's as useful as I think. Cost is a factor as well as weight and I'm confused by the research done so far.

Thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone has found it useful and easy!

@Dobbie I purchased a trailermate at the Sydney show last year, and I love it.

I still take it off and store it in the tunnel boot, but have the flat plate fitted to it all the time, but it did come with a wheel as well.

The biggest advantage for me is the additional travel compared to the standard jockey wheel. I was always having to chock and remove and adjust the old wheel because the height of my hitch was just in the wrong spot. With 700mm travel, this is no longer a problem.

The unit also came with some jacking fittings, which I'm going to get welded on the chassis to allow it to be used as a jack. The standard jacking points are not suitable. If you get these fitted, I believe you could ditch the crap Jayco jack.

They do come in 2 sizes. I got the original smaller model and it fits into the standard jockey wheel bracket on the draw bar. Having the largest Expanda made, I'm pretty confident you wouldn't need the larger model, which would require a new bracket welded onto the draw bar.

It's super easy to use, SWMBO is now easily able to use it to raise and lower the van onto the car.

The only down side is that it's heavier than the standard one, but SWMBO put it away last week and didn't find it too much of a struggle.

All in all, if highly recommend it.

Reactions: Dobbie and dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
The unit also came with some jacking fittings, which I'm going to get welded on the chassis to allow it to be used as a jack. The standard jacking points are not suitable. If you get these fitted, I believe you could ditch the crap Jayco jack.

I'd be very interested to see where they put them @Bellbirdweb as the Service Agent I took mine to said there was nowhere suitable on the 17.56.2OB!!!!!

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I'd be very interested to see where they put them @Bellbirdweb as the Service Agent I took mine to said there was nowhere suitable on the 17.56.2OB!!!!!

Yep that's the only issue now, I've had a look and can't see where I'd put them, so I'm going to discuss it with our service guys to see what's possible.

I have a little bit more room on the 21.64-1 but may have similar issues.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
I use to have a jocky wheel on a boat trailer that simply rotated 90 degrees. No storage issues with that setup..

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
while I do have a Trailamate I brought off someone on this forum (sorry, but is was awhile ago and have forgotten who it was........DOH)
I have yet to use it

Does that mean I have to put the cover on mine AGAIN before "The Boss" notice's it at Easter and August? :kev:

Reactions: bigcol