17' Series Towing with 2014 Prado

Hoffy

Jun 10, 2014
Gold Coast, Queensland
Hi everyone!
We just bought a new Prado diesel and had a tow bar fitted this week. We still have our Swan as our new Expanda isn't ready until November. We hooked up the Swan and it lights up like a christmas tree!!
With the new Prado's, they have this new safety component where the led lights in the headlights stay on at all times. The tail lights don't stay on, just the front lights.
When we called the tow bar fitter, he did come out as he thought there was a wire crossed etc but he then said we left the "Parker" lights on and we just needed to turn them off. I explained that isn't the case and so he told me there was nothing that could be done as while the tail lights are on, the van will always be lit up. I am taking the car and van into them to prove that the tail lights are not on but wanted to know if anybody else had experienced this and if there could be something done??
Thanks in advance to everyone.
Cheers. The Hoffman's.

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Sounds like the wiring harness must be to the parking light circuit. Could be changed to be on the headlights but is it bad that the van lights are on?

BJ.

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
I've got a 2014 Prado and the tail lights are always on...They are hard to see during the day though.

But does it matter that the park lights on the van are on all the time?

Ss--ss

Jun 16, 2014
Hills district, Sydney
G'day , I have a prado 150 but the model before this feature. It sounds like what bmhdg76 says, if the Park lights are always on then it will be wired through to the tow plug.. I would leave it as is or you could try toyota who could disable the constant park light on via software...

Reactions: Hoffy

Hoffy

Jun 10, 2014
Gold Coast, Queensland
Thanks everyone for the replies.

We don't have a worry with all the lights on, just wanted to see if anybody else had experienced this and if it could be changed.

Probably better safety wise that it is all lit up!!

Reactions: Bmhdg76

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
It actually sounds like the tow at fitter wired the tail light pin into the LED DRL circuit.
You mention that the LED's are on all the time (which from memory Prado's have DRL's) but the tail lights are off then this appears to be the case.

BTW, when the van lights are on but the cars lights are off, what position is your light switch on in the Prado?

MiniKlein

Jan 29, 2014
Ipswich Qld
I am not sure what is going on with your lights? I have a 2014 VX prado and have the lights just left in auto, my LED running lights are always on whne the car is running, but the van lights only come on when the headlights are activated. I think that a wire is crossed.??