20' Series Towing performance Starcraft 22.68 OB

Gilmorehappy

Jul 7, 2015
Newcastle
Hi All, a colleague has a new 19 foot Starcraft touring and remarked how the wind pushes the rig and vehicle around on the highway when doing 100 k/ph. He said at times kids and partner were expressing concern, groaning etc...

Makes me wonder about our new 22.68.1 which is being delivered in a fortnight, which is longer, taller, and heavier! Dealer has said no need for wdh.

Is there anyone here that can comment on quality of the towing experience with the starcraft 22 ft OB? Info much appreciated!

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi mate
I have found my 22 is very stable. Ball weight is right up there which worries me but also helps with stability. I make a point to travel at 100km/hr or less but even at 110 plus it is very stable (but heavy). I also have upgraded suspension which may help a little

Delano

Apr 27, 2014
North west Melbourne
Hi All, a colleague has a new 19 foot Starcraft touring and remarked how the wind pushes the rig and vehicle around on the highway when doing 100 k/ph. He said at times kids and partner were expressing concern, groaning etc...

Makes me wonder about our new 22.68.1 which is being delivered in a fortnight, which is longer, taller, and heavier! Dealer has said no need for wdh.

Is there anyone here that can comment on quality of the towing experience with the starcraft 22 ft OB? Info much appreciated!
Hi @Gilmorehappy ,
What tow vehicle ?
Do they have WDH?
Tyre pressures on tow vehicle?
Weight on drawbar? Too heavy/ Too light?

Reactions: dagree and Drover

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
We just got the non outback and it felt heavier up the hills then the 17 OB poptop of course. Fuel was up 10%.
Compared the the 17 yes we felt trucks pass which we really never did so need to watch for this.
WDH we cannot use with the Land Rover although I would think you would want this did our towball it says max 278 where scales said around 290 so might empty front third tank, our ATM will be less then the OB 2780.
I do hear sometimes your plate is generic so wonder if the weights are ours.

The other thing we noticed is downhill you can feel the van push the car and the Disco is not what you call light car. I say with us in it and crap it weigh around the same as the van.

Just take it easy drive to how you feel comfortable. I know on the nice flat dual highway it did not feel any different to our 17 although on the bends I keep the speed down. Do not stress about who is behind you drive where you feel the van and car you can always pull over or slow down next overtaking lane.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I would upgrade my suspension if going to tow a rig that size, original suspension is usually ordinary, upgraded suspension may not need a WDH.
Lazy suspension will cause scary times when towing especially if it's independant all round.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC

We have a 20.63.1OB and it sits nicely on the road, and the wind hasnt bothered it. We've inadvertent rolled upto 125km (shhh) going down a long hill and it still felt more stable than I did. We have HD suspension and dont need a WDH, but use a V1 hitch with a touch of tension to take out the porpoising

Reactions: bigcol and Delano

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
We have a 21.6' van and have old man emu suspension on the Colorado with air bags and no WDH .
Van tows better and more stable than the 16-49-1 expanda we had .
I don't know if it's the j-tech suspension or the esc or because it's dual axel but it's a lot more stable .

Gilmorehappy

Jul 7, 2015
Newcastle
Hi to all, thank you for all the responses which raise some good points and give some piece of mind. There are also a range of mods suggested which I can look into thanks again!

For now I'll just be careful and see 'how it feels' behind the Colorado!

Reactions: Delano

Gilmorehappy

Jul 7, 2015
Newcastle
Hi @Gilmorehappy ,
What tow vehicle ?
Do they have WDH?
Tyre pressures on tow vehicle?
Weight on drawbar? Too heavy/ Too light?
He's running a New Colorado dual cab, no wdh.
to my knowledge he runs the correct tyre pressures and has loaded the van correctly, but I'll suggest he double checks he has done these things correctly.

Reactions: Delano

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The Colorado tows nicely but the original suspension is soft, add new shocks and springs, you realize the great ride before was actually ordinary.................the stock stuff sags.

Reactions: bigcol and Delano

Gilmorehappy

Jul 7, 2015
Newcastle
The Colorado tows nicely but the original suspension is soft, add new shocks and springs, you realize the great ride before was actually ordinary.................the stock stuff sags.
Funny, you get a new vehicle rated for 3.5 tonnes towing and over 400 kg max ball weight and you think it will have plenty up the sleeve. Thanks for your info this forum is a great way to learn how things really are and what you can do to customise for the best possible safety and handling. Advice for me - a complete newby is valuable and appreciated.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Most of the dual cabs the springs are soft ride jobs, in fact most vehicles are not really set up for towing well with the factory suspension no matter what the brochures say, they are more concerned on that comfortable ride........we are a friendly mob, try to help out when we can, someone always has an answer to a problem, were full of it.

Gilmorehappy

Jul 7, 2015
Newcastle
And now an update after approx 20 hours towing experience with a 22 footer (this info for beginners like me)

Everything is a lot heavier and happens slower - acceleration, hill climbing etc. (naturally). Cross winds from the left are ok, but in two lane traffic over 85 km, with a right hand cross wind, big trucks push the rig and tow vehicle, so you need to monitor your mirrors and keep as left as possible and be ready... A bit disconcerting at first. Other wise just stay between 90 and 100 max and you get used to the handling.

On tight bridges just focus on staying in the middle of the lane. The pacific highway bridge at macksville, full of semis is a corker, and I'm thinking of the Harry potter movie 'get skinny'.
Fuel use at 90 is about 13.5 per 100 km, and at 100kmphr up to nearly 15L per 100. That's with a Colorado.

Wet weather... Noticed wheels easily slip when pulling away (on good tyres) but happy with the strong braking on the van. Haven't had to brake heavily ever and would find it a bit daunting so caution is my play...

Anyway, hope my newBy experience helps if you are a first timer wondering about towing.

Heading inland of a poor quality road to Gloucester for another towing experience tomoz!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The bridge at Macksville, one of the last mongrels on the highway.......scary in a truck, in fact I've addedd a mirror to what must be a big collection in the river.
Good fuel figures and you will get some great experience on the run to Gloucester........lol.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
great report yes normal driving vs towing is a lot different not just the vehicle dynamics its the whole watching for things and idiots and its more slow motion.
We still taking it slow with the 22ft and we had the 17 ft for 18 months beforehand and we where being careful still with the 17ft. Although we did not have the truck sucking problem with the smaller van.

Gone down any steep hills as yet? Have you been running the auto in manual or drive mode? How much spare grunt does the Colorado have?
We start looking for cars again in the new year :)

Reactions: Gilmorehappy

stucati

Jan 12, 2015
Sydney
We have just towed our 22.68 from southern Sydney to south west rocks, first time towing a van let alone this size. The standard suspension on ute is definitely set up for comfort rather than load, after test tow around my work area this was confirmed. I purchased a WDH and this helped the towing experience dramatically, as the ute lease is up next year I didn't want to spend money on suspension.

After a nervous 30 mins or so adjusting to the towing experience. I found the van easy to tow and maintained 100/110 on the freeway. I don't worry about fuel consumption but for interest averaged 17L/100 maintaining speed on hills and overtaking.

The van was comfortable and only slightly affected by trucks, for some reason trucks carrying earth moving equipment caused the most pulling sensation.

For interest weight specs are 2800kg loaded with 270kg on the ball.

Reactions: Gilmorehappy

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
We have just towed our 22.68 from southern Sydney to south west rocks, first time towing a van let alone this size. The standard suspension on ute is definitely set up for comfort rather than load, after test tow around my work area this was confirmed. I purchased a WDH and this helped the towing experience dramatically, as the ute lease is up next year I didn't want to spend money on suspension.

After a nervous 30 mins or so adjusting to the towing experience. I found the van easy to tow and maintained 100/110 on the freeway. I don't worry about fuel consumption but for interest averaged 17L/100 maintaining speed on hills and overtaking.

The van was comfortable and only slightly affected by trucks, for some reason trucks carrying earth moving equipment caused the most pulling sensation.

For interest weight specs are 2800kg loaded with 270kg on the ball.
What ute do you have ??

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you did the weight maths you are probably on your max weights anyway..........I have found the Colorado is great now that it has decent suspension but such an outlay for a short time would be silly.
On our recent 3 month run the springs slowly sagged but when it tapped the bump stops on speed bumps without van, put new springs on whileon the road, most impressed with the change.