Tow vehicle

les2476

Jul 12, 2012
NSW
Hi guys, it's been a while since last post. Since purchasing our Flemingo 5 months ago we have done 5 trips. On our last outing to Green Patch we realised that we need a tow vehicle as the territory averaged 17.5lt per hundred, basically went though a full tank getting there and back from camden. Anyway we are looking at the Ranger vs the Hi lux vs jeep grand, any other suggestions would be helpful. Family of 4. If you have these vehicles, how do they tow and value for money. Would like to get lift and bullbar in the future.
Thank you in advance.

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Have the ranger, had a hilux previously, my preference is the hilux, much more comfortable to drive and better built. The tub of the hilux is better sealed. Fuel economy is very similar between both vehicles.

les2476

Jul 12, 2012
NSW
Have the ranger, had a hilux previously, my preference is the hilux, much more comfortable to drive and better built. The tub of the hilux is better sealed. Fuel economy is very similar between both vehicles.
Thanks for that crackacoldie. What do you think the benignity of the tub are rather then a wagon.

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW

Benefits for me are mainly tax! I prefer a wagon and I can list plenty of benefits of a wagon over a ute. The main benefit of the ute is the space, so much more than a wagon, also you don't hear things rattling in the back.

The kids tell me the back seat is not as comfortable as a wagon either. Have you thought about a Prado or Pajero? Both very capable vehicles that are more comfortable than either of the utes.

mbr37746

Oct 20, 2013
Central West NSW
any other suggestions would be helpful. Family of 4.
Thank you in advance.

Just to throw a spanner in the mix.
We got the Triton for a couple of reasons. The rear seat, with kids it was the only dual cab (at the time) that has the rear seat leaning backward, making it a LOT more comfy for the kids, we've found that they can actually fall asleep and not have their head fall forward as the rear seat angle helps hold them back. I think it has the best rear seat room of most of the dual cabs. Secondly, I'd had one for work for a while and like a hire car, it went everywhere I could take it, performed really well and was great on the fuel. It tows really well, I get about 16l/100 on the worst road conditions.
Food for thought, sorry.

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
We just changed from our 2010 Hilux SR5 turbo diesel. I do regret getting rid of it. Around town I averaged 8.5-9.0 l/100klms. No that is not a typo. When towing the panda down to Sydney and back going a LOT of back roads and ranges I averaged 12l/100. Main reason I changed was because my wife didn't like driving it and I wanted an automatic to tow with. Reversing in it was a bitch as would quite often change onto low range just so I wasn't riding the clutch. Great as a family vehicle. Would get another in a heart beat but would be auto next time.

BJ

SP4RKI

Jan 13, 2013
Arcadia, NSW
Hi guys, it's been a while since last post. Since purchasing our Flemingo 5 months ago we have done 5 trips. On our last outing to Green Patch we realised that we need a tow vehicle as the territory averaged 17.5lt per hundred, basically went though a full tank getting there and back from camden. Anyway we are looking at the Ranger vs the Hi lux vs jeep grand, any other suggestions would be helpful. Family of 4. If you have these vehicles, how do they tow and value for money. Would like to get lift and bullbar in the future.
Thank you in advance.
If your thinking of a duel cab ute, don't forget the mighty VW Amarok! I've had my 8 speed auto Highline for nearly 2 years and I'm loving it. At the time of test drive, I drove the hilux, triton and the amarok..... I found the Amarok the most car like of the trucks. Only reason I didn't drive the ranger was because of the 12 month wait for delivery..... Creature comforts in the VW are way in front of the others (in my biased opinion) and the cabin is much quieter too. Towing the 17foot outback Expanda I get roughly 12 litres/100kms. The only thing I would love is for the rear seat to recline a little more to help the kids to sleep without the normal head flop forward. Having a ute is awesome with all the extra space in the back to throw stuff, particularly summer holidays - all the sandy boards and other crap just gets thrown in the back locked away safely with the canopy.

navmatt

Jan 20, 2014
Ayr/Glenden Nth Qld
Thank you in advance.

I have a D40 navara, the 4cyl though(with a bit of work done). The v6 navara you wouldn't even know the camper is there!!! go those things especially when they are under load. When I upgrade in the next few years i would definetly be looking at the nav v6 and ranger and bt50 (ugly as sin but money talks). Im 6ft3, and i have my seat right back with my two girls 11 and 7 in the back they don't complain about leg room and fall asleep readily. I think the hilux is still limited to 2.5t towing? Not that it is an issue towing a camper but if you ever upgrade to a van it may limit your choices and its engine is a bit luckluster in performance.

That said I think the wifes next upgrade would be a Jeep GC, we love em. So much for your dollar, it would be a hard choice which to tow the van with

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
We love our Triton it`s just coming up to 30k service and has been really good. I do like the Jeep though and seem very good value.

Patto

Jul 14, 2013
Perth
We've had a really good experience so far with our Jeep GC. Our 16.49-3 sits nice and level and never had any sway without Wdh or sway bars.fuel economy been quite good (with diesel). With fully loaded van has been between 10l/100 sitting on 85kph to 13.5l/100 sitting on 100-105kph with some moderately hilly/windyroads. Seating for back seat passengers is really good especially if you only have 2. Rear seat has adjustable back rest so the kids can recline if they want to rest and good rear elf room. Doesn't have 7 seat option though. We have only used onroad and bought it mainly to tow the van, so may not be as suitable if you want to take offload. Other GC owners may be able to give a better insight for offload use. Good luck with your search cheers Patto.

les2476

Jul 12, 2012
NSW
Thanks for all your replies, much appreciated.
Alot will come down to budget, I have an existing Territory which I will be trading in, some of my own money and likely finance, so the budget is likely to be around the 45K mark for the car. The GC is value for money, not sure if it can be turned into a tourer, with lift kit etc. Any comments from GC owners would be great. I'd personally would love the HI-Lux or the ranger, but my lady may prefer the wagon.

Drewser

Oct 14, 2013
Cockatoo, Victoria
Another spanner, Colorado is great value at the moment, every time I get in it I like it more and more. The kids are happy in the back seat, it has a nice recline and good cabin space, heaps of power and at this stage I seem to be getting about 9.2l per 100.

Reactions: skippy

Adam79

May 28, 2013
Brisbane
Im with crackacoldie. I prefer the toyota. Hilux, prado. Im not happy with my ranger at all, worst vehicle ive ever owned. Brands that stick with the basics in regards to all the wiz bag electronic gadgets has my vote. Cant imagine how much it would cost to fix one of the new Jeeps electronic dash displays.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
If you can stretch the finances, a CRD Jeep Laredo would be my first choice (unless you specifically need a ute).
With 570nm of torque, 184kw and an 8speed auto, they will tow pretty much anything.
They are also extremely capable offroad too.

There are lift kits around if you order a steel sprung one or you can option the Quadralift, which gives you close enough to a 3"lift with the push of a button.
Bullbars are now available from various makers, as is underbody protection from Jeep. About the only thing not readily available yet is a snorkel, but several are working on one. Long Range aux tanks are also available giving a fuel capacity of 168lt for great touring range.

Food for thought.

Reactions: cruza driver

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
What territory you have i have a 2013 awd diesel towing a 20/63-1 i average 14.9 towing and plenty of power to and other thought jeep repairs $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
@les2476 our Jeep is coming up for its 40K service (the really expensive one) we love it, the 8 speed would be even better. Like all vehicles they have their good points and bad points, the good points are the comfort, quietness, handling and the V6 power compared to most 4cyl vehicles. Bad points they are only 5 seats. I have an ARB bull bar on order colour coded for around 2.5K fitted, all depends if you want a ute or a car I guess, good luck choosing.