Starcraft Tool Box Setup

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
@davemc don't worrie about a box for that van I thought you were getting a bigger one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! let me take you shopping !!!!!!!
nah @Bluey had a big talk we keeping the Starcraft unless something pops up that ticks the boxes.
Basestation great for the kids although wanted the island bed.
Unless we get something custom made not easy to find anything island bed and sleeps 4 without dropping the dinette down or heading 25".

So hence the toolbox I was doing back last October :)

@bigcol yeah that was what I was thinking either angle or something underneath.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I think everyone who did Tech Drawing did this one

Polar Bear in a Snow Storm.png

the old - Polar Bear in a Snow Storm

Reactions: dagree and davemc

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
also, with putting the Ali angle on, you "could" put some thin "insertion rubber" - 1mm and then mount the box over that lot

3 Tek screws each side......... Bobs your uncle

or

if your really good
drill 2 holes in each side, and also the bottom of the box
put a U bolt through with a piece of flat bar to tighten onto the draw bar..............

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
So had a busy week at work so have not gone back out to the toolbox place.
found a place that does caravan toolboxes waiting to hear back from them on a price..
Something like the below looks good. Interesting how the made the Frame under.. I probably use the angle under it as well as worried the gas bottles hanging so wide.
caravan toolbox.jpg

The problem if we go a 82cm box Sarah likes is it will sit up pretty high. Found a pic of a smaller Starcraft which has a box that looks around the same.
$_75.jpg

Reactions: bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
A couple of things, I thought new gas regs coming in would not allow lpg bottles outside the chassis rails.
Also you must allow room on the draw bar for you vehicle to turn, usually around the 900mm, that baby starcraft looks like it could take out some tailights. Have a look at matesratestools.com.au, I like that box on the Viper, nice.
Put a good splash of galmet under the rubber stops nasty things happening out of sight.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
ok @bigcol. interesting the guy at the local toolbox shop was pushing not to put the bottles in.
Hence waiting to hear back from a place that does a lot of boxes for vans.
http://www.dscustomtoolboxes.com.au/

No idea the width of that box on the baby Starcraft I thought the same..
We like to keep the stone guard and put a box behind, at full lock the guard is on and just touches which is good. Rather not touch the tool box at full lock.
64 cm from front to front of guard. you loose around 14 cms on the angle.. So a 50cm box should work. 52 maybe I can push the angles around a little.
IMG_3701.JPG

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If the guard just touches on full lock what happens if your going thru a dish drain or something when tight turning ? must come close to crunch.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
The best I could get it in jack knife was just to touch it. A tight U turn down a ditch :( have not checked..
I do not want to go with a wider toolbox then the guard I rather smaller. Standard drawbar so limited.
Towball to side of car is 75.. I put the stone guard back another 5cm I think around 80cm.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
ok @bigcol. interesting the guy at the local toolbox shop was pushing not to put the bottles in.
Hence waiting to hear back from a place that does a lot of boxes for vans.
http://www.dscustomtoolboxes.com.au/

interesting site that one @davemc
I quite like this one..........

DS-Large-Angled-Toolbox.jpg

well, in your case I like the way its angled (wedge shape)

and I have also heard of others saying "its not safe to put gas bottles inside a box at the front"
but
a lot of the full sized caravans have their Gas bottle inside the front boot...........
Coramal comes to mind straight away, as my Father had one like this

I would think that as long as you did the following, you would be OK

1) solid mounting - no movement possible
2) room around kept clear - I put a small panel around mine to stop things from "crowding" the bottle
3) ventilation near the bottom for gas to escape if leaking - I have 2 on each corner where the bottle is, and 1 on the other side (just in case)
4) put a sticker, sign, whatever saying that Gas Bottle inside - for Emergency People in bad case scenario

IMAG0713.jpg

mine

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
yeah I will call them tomorrow.. Only got back to looking Friday night been a busy week. I am off from Wednesday for another Ear op until the end of July so trying to hand over everything :(
My mate said he make me a frame like the above if I wanted to put bottles on side although he said the same as you did those bars well ben so put some angle under.

I looked around for something not just on a caravan website re bottles, not much luck. Yes and a lot of gas bottles are in the front boots as well and the slide out thing the Silverline has. We always turn the gas off and all we have been using it so far is for the Weber as been in caravan parks so 240v.

There Facebook page has a lot more pics including this one. I assume they will strap the bottles in :)
11038124_872471606148926_4440743159218162431_n.jpg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
There's actually regulations covering gas bottles in boots/boxes etc, they must have a vent in the bottom of the box, the gas bottles must be separated from rest of the compartment and not allowed to store other items around bottle, must be secured and have a sticker showing bottle location, I think that about covers it.

@davemc , my Jeep needed 90mm, the same as my Colorado so don't change your tug you might be going Doh !!!!

With that box on the front I would most certainly overload my tow ball and that gas bottle space would be a great spot to start a rock collection I reckon......you really need a place local where you can sit a box in situ and actually see how it sits on the van. Tape measures sometimes loose in translation.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
Inside I can find regulations, although could not find anything regarding gas bottles on the side of the box. How far out can they sit on drawbar, they still be under the width of the van which I thought was ok?\

The local toolbox place is on a main rd so not great to take the van to check. I really just want to put the Weber in the box so was looking at 100cm boxes then of course you start looking bigger box for hoses etc. I worry about towball weight if we where not underwater in Melb I was planning to put a couple of sand bags on the front of the van and check the weight with my scales.

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I had some Gas Regs in pdf somewhere I'll see if I can find them they did mention bottle position but it may have been the draft for the national regs, dunno.

When I moved my spare and stuff I used jerry cans of water to shift and check weight, worked a treat.

Reactions: bigcol