16' Series This is why I like 16" option on vans

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
occasionally we discuss the 16" over 15" wheel and tyre option here. And I always advise 16"s for availability and higher load rating of tyres. Additionally if you look at load rating in rims they are generally higher on 16"s to allow for the higher tyre load.

We had a 2011 16:49-3 fairly well optioned up. I had to get the plate changed to get the full 375kg payload from Jayco and the atm was something like 2050kg so it was too close to the limits of tyres, wheels, axles and all really. Also if you think you can go outback with 4 or 5 people loaded and keep it to 375kg well your better than me. The tyres were always my concern but Jayco must of had doubts too and put on a higher quality AT than the usual GT radial! But on a trip out west were we had been taking it really easy I checked the van before leaving Parkes and this is what I found! No impact nothing. The most I would have done is drop the tyre of the kerb at low speed coming out of a servo. I know Jayco have changed there mags now but I still advocate 16"s personally.

image.jpg
image.jpg

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
The new owner had the same issue on their half lap too @achjimmy

Geez @crackacoldie that's disapointing to hear! The week after this happened I needed to get to the sons March out at kapooka and didn't wanna travel with out a spare. Consulting with @bushpalace he suggested a mine spec sunrasyia and that's what I did. Jayco replaced the rim as well. When Gav bought the van I explained to him my concerns and gave him the sunnies as well. I said if I was doing a lap Id lose the Alko springs for milspec ones and replace all wheels with sunnies ! Sorry to hear they had troubles :-(

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Geez @crackacoldie that's disapointing to hear! The week after this happened I needed to get to the sons March out at kapooka and didn't wanna travel with out a spare. Consulting with @bushpalace he suggested a mine spec sunrasyia and that's what I did. Jayco replaced the rim as well. When Gav bought the van I explained to him my concerns and gave him the sunnies as well. I said if I was doing a lap Id lose the Alko springs for milspec ones and replace all wheels with sunnies ! Sorry to hear they had troubles :-(
Gav found one of the rims cracked on the second last day. He had been keeping a close eye on them during the whole trip

Reactions: achjimmy