The Shake-Down Trip - But Where???

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
Hi All,

With the impending arrival of our baby (16.49-3 OB) we're trying to decide on a good place or places to go for the shake-down trip.
We're thinking somewhere kind of local (we're in the Yarra Valley (Vic)) so it's not too arduous in getting there and getting back if it all turns to poo!
Was initially thinking somewhere up around Mansfield/Jamieson way, and was trolling about on the Parks Vic website and found http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/parks/mount-samaria-state-park wondering if anyone has ever been there and what it's like? On the parks Vic website, Mount Samaria has 4 camp sites listed, but 2 are listed as walk-ins. The 2 that aren't are - Spring Creek Saw Mill, Samaria Well.
Anyone been there? Got any other good recommendations?
We need somewhere dog friendly too.
The expand is due to arrive late Feb, so we'd be looking to go late Feb/early March.
Cheers,
S&P

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
We frequent this area a lot :thumb:

HERE is a trip report from when we attempted to head to Mt Samaria on the Swanpool side. No dogs allowed either which was one reason for turning back. I have heard that the other sites maybe a bit small for vans, but I can find out for you if you like? I would have to look up the one we attempted to get to.

If that's the area you want to head to look at Stringybark Creek just out of Tolmie, the site of the Ned Kelly shooting. There is also Sheepyard Flat and numerous other camps along the Howqua River in the same area.

Towards Jamieson there is Running Creek just out of Howqua again on the Howqua River. Closer to Jamieson there is Skipworth Reserve along the Goulburn River along with other camp sites in the same area.

Grannys Flat is another on the Jamieson Licola road on the Jamieson River but you may not want to take the Expanda in there for its maiden voyage.

Any of the ones I have mentioned I have dome trip reports on just do a search they should come up. if not let me know. These a re all free camps too

Don't disregard Jamieson CP too.

I'm not sure if you've been to any of these before but I hope this helps :yo:

Reactions: S&P

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
We frequent this area a lot :thumb:

HERE is a trip report from when we attempted to head to Mt Samaria on the Swanpool side. No dogs allowed either which was one reason for turning back. I have heard that the other sites maybe a bit small for vans, but I can find out for you if you like? I would have to look up the one we attempted to get to.

If that's the area you want to head to look at Stringybark Creek just out of Tolmie, the site of the Ned Kelly shooting. There is also Sheepyard Flat and numerous other camps along the Howqua River in the same area.

Towards Jamieson there is Running Creek just out of Howqua again on the Howqua River. Closer to Jamieson there is Skipworth Reserve along the Goulburn River along with other camp sites in the same area.

Grannys Flat is another on the Jamieson Licola road on the Jamieson River but you may not want to take the Expanda in there for its maiden voyage.

Any of the ones I have mentioned I have dome trip reports on just do a search they should come up. if not let me know. These a re all free camps too

Don't disregard Jamieson CP too.

I'm not sure if you've been to any of these before but I hope this helps :yo:
Hi cruza driver,
On closer inspection, I think Mt. Samaria might be best done without the expanda, plus we're planning to meet up with my parents on this trip who will be towing there non-Jayco, non-off road pop-top, so it needs to be accessible for that too.
By the look of your trip reports, you've been to a lot of places we want to go here in Vic and further afield as well!
How are the sites you mention above for non-off road BSB access? My old mans tow is a 100 series cruiser so it will be fine, just don't want to be responsible for trashing their van on our maiden voyage.
Cheers,
S&P

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Hi cruza driver,
On closer inspection, I think Mt. Samaria might be best done without the expanda, plus we're planning to meet up with my parents on this trip who will be towing there non-Jayco, non-off road pop-top, so it needs to be accessible for that too.
By the look of your trip reports, you've been to a lot of places we want to go here in Vic and further afield as well!
How are the sites you mention above for non-off road BSB access? My old mans tow is a 100 series cruiser so it will be fine, just don't want to be responsible for trashing their van on our maiden voyage.
Cheers,
S&P
All are accessible Skipworth is all sealed, Sheepyard area, Running Creek and Stringybark are good (generally) dirt forestry roads.

Sheepyard is the longest dirt road at 17km, Running Creek 7km. and Stringybark 11km.
Stringybark doesn't have a river but has a walk through History regarding the Kelly Gang and Kelly Tree.

Skipworth is flat and grassy with newish drop toilets and if the roads concern you and your not far out of Jamieson and from the Kevington Pub too. You could leave the vans there and do some exploring also.

Just sing out if you need anymore questions answered mate :thumb:

EDIT the eastern side of Mt Samaria does have smaller sites and there are bollards but to what extent I'm not sure. I might head in there and take a peek though :) We are up that way fairly often.