17' Series The Long wait begins 17.56-02 OB

Cheyne78

May 30, 2014
Perth
I took the wife into Caravanland last week to talk her out of getting a van (in hindsight not a good move). Ended up buying a 17.56-02 Outback after seeing the van I secretly wanted and it looked amazing. The wife was stoked because it means no more 3hr setups and parkways when camping and the kids will (hopefully) stay dry.

We've got four kids under 6 so the Expanda was a natural choice. Id read plenty of horror stories re bed ends and poor build quality but having read hundreds of posts from other members on here it is reassuring to hear there are plenty of happy owners out there and that Jayco tend to sort most things out.

Modifications wise we have got:
Extended drawer bar
Extra 12v outlets
ESC
Shelves in the robe
Fusion Stereo Premium upgrade

Caravanland include the swivel coupling and control panel at no cost (which is a bonus as I wanted both).

Im still toying up with an external shower, jerry can holder and will be requesting them to relocate the jockey wheel to the inside of the A Frame and move the heater switch from the floor. Are there other mods or requests I should make before final sign off?

Im interested in other owners thoughts on the stereo. They had to show us one on a Silverline (its not the normal Fusion unit) so Im hopeful that it will be exactly the same unit (MS-700) I think. what is the sound quality of these like? I don't intend on blasting it through caravan parks but it is always handy when free camping away from others!

Ive read up on the swivel coupling and it seems you can get an adaptor plate to fit to the Hayman Reese WDH to make it work together. Do Jayco use a genuine Treg Hitch at the moment?

We are both really excited and now have around 115 days to go until the end of september. Something tells me its going to be a very long wait!

Cheyne and Nat

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Congratulations. That is a great van. Cant answer your questions except re the outdoor shower. We had one and loved it. Great to rinse off sandy or muddy kids and my feet! Wouldn't do wothout it. Also great for washing up large pots or bbq plates

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Welcome to the forum @Cheyne78 . Good to see another West Aussie on here :)
Lots of good advice to be given from others and they don't mind helping you spend your hard earned $'s 8-)

Good choice of van. We called into Caravanland to look at the floorplans as we were planning on upgrading but getting second hand.
Walked out of there with a receipt for a deposit on one of the first three 2014 17.56.02 vans delivered to Perth. They ordered it to put on show but it never made it to the front!!

Can't help with the stereo but we got an original Tregg Hitch and coupling. Be interested to see who have the HR WDH adaptor for them as we were told they wouldn't/couldn't fit?

September will come around in no time.

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Great choice @Cheyne78 17's rule (IMO)
We have the Pioneer stereo, my way of thinking a new head unit is cheap, I would hope the Fusion is better
We don't have kids but I could see the outside shower being a winner, if it doesn't break the bank go for it
Extended draw bar, we have it and its great
Ours has a Trigg hitch, I believe you can use a WDH hitch but have to fring the bottom off the receiver, you will see what I mean when you have a good look at one, we don't currently use a WDH

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Shower outside is great for washing sand off kids after beach etc. Could not cost much anyway. If the fusion streams music from your device then that should be good (surely it must). Gadgets Adam has 3 fusions in his van so they must be OK.

I would think about picnic table and double outside power point if I was spending your money;).

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
The standard fusion offered does Bluetooth stream from your phone, I have tried it. For us we didn't go the outside shower this time, we never used our first one. our kids are older and the cold tap is good enough for me it's good enough for them! and the plastic POS they are ain't worth the $250 IMO. If they had better hose management and didn't waste 3 times there size inside the van maybe so. Any way many find them good.

Cheyne78

May 30, 2014
Perth
Well we finally got our van on Thursday and with no major hiccups. I was actually quite impressed having heard dramas of shonky workmanship (maybe it won't show up until the shake down trip). The only fault so far is a missing spring from the bed pole and a 12v outlet that they managed to install next to the stereo so when the stereo got pushed in it disconnects the power cables to the 12v outlet. We are wrapped with the Fusion premium upgrade. It comes with a separate iPod dock, DVD input a 2nd controller by the door and a wireless network all thrown in! Only one photo of pick up (complete with dumbo ears on the Prado) and more to follow when I get my a@@ into gear tomorrow.
2014-09-25 12.00.29.jpg

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Gongrats @Cheyne78
Remember the feeling and taking a pic of our prado and van at almost the same exact spot but I think we were on the other side of the pole behind yours :)

Looking forward to seeing some more pics of the pride and joy!

OH and did you get the WDH bars setup?

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Well we finally got our van on Thursday and with no major hiccups. I was actually quite impressed having heard dramas of shonky workmanship (maybe it won't show up until the shake down trip). The only fault so far is a missing spring from the bed pole and a 12v outlet that they managed to install next to the stereo so when the stereo got pushed in it disconnects the power cables to the 12v outlet. We are wrapped with the Fusion premium upgrade. It comes with a separate iPod dock, DVD input a 2nd controller by the door and a wireless network all thrown in! Only one photo of pick up (complete with dumbo ears on the Prado) and more to follow when I get my a@@ into gear tomorrow.View attachment 26480
great work nice van mine seems to tow same van easily don't forget to voat in the size poll 17s are winning

Reactions: Cheyne78

Cheyne78

May 30, 2014
Perth
Gongrats @Cheyne78
Remember the feeling and taking a pic of our prado and van at almost the same exact spot but I think we were on the other side of the pole behind yours :)

Looking forward to seeing some more pics of the pride and joy!

OH and did you get the WDH bars setup?
Got the bars on today @dagree and the car sits beautifully level. Decided on air bags as well so it should have no problems with four kids, SWMBO and the important beer fridge in the car. All ready for the shake down trip just got to find somewhere and when I can squeeze it in!

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
standard place for new vans in WA seems to be Moore River / Guilderton or Lancelin
both close to home, if you forget something................................. :biggrin-26:

a lot of people I know head to either of those for a weekend when they get their vans / campers.......

Reactions: Colin and dagree