Exterior Swap an Go - getting the right size.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have found how to get the right size bottle when you Swap a gas bottle, since size isn't regulated I have found about 2 basic widths to date.
I carry my gas bottle around in a milk crate, that way it doesn't roll about and the crate is also my size ruler, if you need the narrow bottle then it will fit in the crate easily, if you require the wider version it will be a tight fit.
So there you go.
Most of the stories about Swap an Go systems are myth's by the way, this year I've swapped about 7 bottles, weighed each one and they were all on the money, no bottle older than 12 mths, refilled one and ended up being 8.6 kg of gas, paid between $19 and $23....................and each one if it didn't fit in the crate easily I swapped it for one that did, no drama......if the bottle looks yucky don't accept it ask for another.

Easy fit... bottle01.jpg ..a push for the bigger one.bottle02.jpg ...

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
I do the same with using a crate to stop the bottles falling over when taking them to be changed but hadn't thought of using them as a size guide.
I've liaised with Kleenheat Gas in the past regarding swap and go ( the previous company that supplied via the big green shed) and received clarification that even if the returned bottle was over 10 years, provided it was in good condition they re stamped it for another 10 years. Don't worry that the original manufacturing date may therefore be over 10 years since the bottle would have secondary markings to confirm who retested it.
It therefore doesn't matter how old the bottle is that you are returning provided it has the top and bottom collars, isn't dented, and doesn't have excessive rust.

Reactions: Drover and dagree

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
On the collar near the top you should find the latest test date stamp, can be a diamond or other shape with a year stamped in it.......the Cat 2 story is about galvanised tanks, the Cat of a tank only refers to the paint job applied and at least with a swap your not getting short changed on the refill which can happen when some snotty at a garage fills it out the back you end up with a tank of gas not liquid.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Update,: I have since found that Milk Crates aren't created equal either, so find one the size you like and don't loose it.

Reactions: dagree

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
I always get mine filled all my bottles are new as they age will start swaping my local gas supplyer is very good easy gas they fill by weight and i make sure bottle is empty before fill

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I always get mine filled all my bottles are new as they age will start swaping my local gas supplyer is very good easy gas they fill by weight and i make sure bottle is empty before fill

Gee you must use a lot of fuel driving back home on a trip to fill your bottles ????????......:behindsofa:.........my Swap anGo jobs are never more than 12mths old, if they look daggy I tell em I want another.......................someone once said they only use the Jayco bottles by Manchester because they are Aussie, myth destroyed I have a Manchester on the Weber Made in Aust and 2 on the van 1 x China and 1 x Thailand..........:becky:

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Gee you must use a lot of fuel driving back home on a trip to fill your bottles ????????......:behindsofa:.........my Swap anGo jobs are never more than 12mths old, if they look daggy I tell em I want another.......................someone once said they only use the Jayco bottles by Manchester because they are Aussie, myth destroyed I have a Manchester on the Weber Made in Aust and 2 on the van 1 x China and 1 x Thailand..........:becky:
No i dont use heaps of fule my bottles on van last over 12 months one bottle and i have 4 at home and if it emptyed while away i would fill it somewhere