Suspension Problem?

richard

Jun 9, 2011
Hi All,

Wondering if anyone has ever wanted to change/modify their suspension and if anyone has done it?

Seen some people report some problems and even a sag to one side. Mine is not doing this yet, but just enquiring.

Thanks

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Gday Richard i have had your problem of sagging lop sided springs on our 09 16 ft we came back from a trip up north , jacked the van up to do bearings and the r/h/s spring fell apart at the eye. I have no faith in alco springs now so i went to a place in Adelaide called Industrial Springs where they sold me a 10 leaf complete kit of springs/ hangers,pins / bushes / bolts/nuts for $480 . Fitted it all up and tows like a dream no more sloppyness .
Hope this helps

cheers Russell

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
G'day Richard, hows things?

Just wondering could it be sagging on the passenger side due to the weight of the kitchen on that side. (thats if its on that side?)

BP has some good advice maybe its time for the springs to be replaced.

richard

Jun 9, 2011
BP and Cruza - How often have you had to replace your springs? My theory is that any sagging would potentially due to more weight on that side, but also in general that side gets bashed around more as well if you get what I mean.

Thanks for the info so far - at $480 to replace it may just be worth doing that and having the problem fixed rather than stuffing around with something else.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
The passenger side in caravans is usually the first side to go, generally due to the road chamfer tilting the van to that side, and thus putting more pressure on the suspension. This is made worse when a manufacturer builds the fridge on that side also.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Bugger!! We're getting a 186L fridge on that side, hope 2 axles and 4 sets of springs makes a difference! :pray:

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Hi Richard ive replaced my springs twice but thats by my choice i wasnt happy with the way it rode with 7 leafs and the weight we carry also the terrain we go over so thats when i opted for new 10 leaf and now happy as a pig in poop !!!!!

richard

Jun 9, 2011
Hi Bushman,

Think I will replace them. Thanks for the info. Had a look under the van and am wondering how do you get the bolts holding them out?

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
G'day Richard, if the bolt is tacked to the hanger then you will have to grind the weld off as much as you can then give the bolt a whack with a hammer with a bit of of hard wood on the end of bolt so you don't damage the thread, that should crack it and allow you to get it out. Don't know why Jayco would weld it! Good luck mate hope it goes well.

Cheers.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Maybe the weld has penetrated a bit, try putting a ring spanner on the head of bolt and see if you can turn it to break the weld penetration. Either that or it might be a bit rusty in the spring eye, I can't think of anything else except grinding the head off the bolt or a bigger hammer.

Cheers.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Just got the torch out and had a look at our 09 16-49-1 and besides the weld and nut there is nothing else retaining the bolt. It can only be weld or rust or maybe you still have weight on the spring!

Cheers

richard

Jun 9, 2011
Hey Guys

Ordered from industrial springs. Awesome service over the phone and really helpful.