Suspension Suspension problem

Benson10

Oct 8, 2023
Canberra
Hi all,

New member here, I've been scouring this site for lots of great ideas.
I recently bought a 2013 14.44OB which has been great so far. Just before I purchased it had the suspension eye bushes and shackle pins and plates replaced due to wear identified during it's annual rego inspection. Now that I have used it a few times I've noticed that the leaf spring eyes are fouling on the dumjack when in transit, and there is now heavy gouging on the dumjack.
Sitting in the driveway the RH side spring is sitting 2mm from the dumjack.
Is this a common issue or is there now an alignment problem with the springs?
I have measured the shackle plate and they are 63mm which seems to be standard for the alko off-road suspension setup.

Apologies if this has been covered before, haven't been able find anything from searching.

Thanks,
Ben

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Throw a pic up but if the spring is close to hitting the hanger then I would say the springs are cactus, unladen the plates should be just off the vertical a few degrees, sagged springs though would allow the whole set up to sit lower with spring eye hitting the chassis on a good bump .... too hard a bump and the spring can break a leaf or snap the centre bolt.

Benson10

Oct 8, 2023
Canberra
Throw a pic up but if the spring is close to hitting the hanger then I would say the springs are cactus, unladen the plates should be just off the vertical a few degrees, sagged springs though would allow the whole set up to sit lower with spring eye hitting the chassis on a good bump .... too hard a bump and the spring can break a leaf or snap the centre bolt.

Thanks for your reply, I've attached some pictures.
First is the RHS and the rest are the LHS which seems to be the worst.
On big bottom outs a loud banging can be heard, speed bumps, through dips.
It had the spring hangers replaced for NSW rego inspection in September, in November it had another inspection for ACT and passed, but then 2 weeks later I've found this problem.

Attachments

• 20231206_190759.jpg
    20231206_190759.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 91
  • Screenshot_20231206_192227_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20231206_192227_Photos.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 87
  • Screenshot_20231206_192304_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20231206_192304_Photos.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 91
  • Screenshot_20231206_192342_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20231206_192342_Photos.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 96

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I would say the spring is sagging out as the position of the shackle plate is about right for just sitting parked up but since its whacking the hanger as you go down the road then spring is getting sad and can't handle the work out .... Since you got thru ACT rego then it must look okay and weigh okay, as they can be pretty picky I have found.

Have a look at this write up, saves me rattling on and doing pics..... https://www.couplemate.com.au/spring-problems-caused-hanger-location/

First have a look and make sure the fish plates are nice and flat not curved from over tightening and have a close look at he springs there, look for rust lines , a good sign one may have broken and make sure those rebound springs are not loose but since both sides are similar I think they are just shagged they have lost their bounce........ For about $400 a new set of springs rated a minimum of 1t each though, new U bolts and fish plates should see you right.... No need to replace the pins or plates, DiY or get someone to fit, if your in ACT there was a very good spring shop in Queanbeyan but I can't remember who ... I would go a set of full leaf springs not ones with rebounders, never been a fan of them as they are a cop out I reckon... try for Alko's as there are a lot of chinese rubbish around ...... I have used Couplemate a lot and their gear has been good.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thanks, I'll look to get it booked in somewhere and get it checked out. Beyond my capability for a driveway job I think

At least someone can have hands on check of it all then, sometimes a pic can miss the obvious ................ you would need a flat bit of concrete and a couple of proper jack stands to DiY and some mechanical nouse ......

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
There you go, so long as the shackle plate at rest is near the vertical should be good, check next trip that the spring isn't banging against the chassis, if it does then the springs are getting lazy..... give the pins a grease before and after each trip, after to push dirt and moisture out and before to push moisture and any hard bits out, they will last forever then.....