14' Series Suburban SW6DEA Hot Water System

Angela

Sep 12, 2017
Brisbane
Hi newbie here. We took our van out for the first time over the weekend and had no hot water. It was warm for 5-10 seconds, then went cold.
Jayco came out yesterday and turned the thermostat up from just below half way to high. We still only get warm water but it lasts for a few minutes.
How hot should the water be? Surely I shouldn't have to boil the jug to wash up!

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@Crusty181 ................................

what say you - ???????
Guilty .... hang him. (whoops, wrong forum)

Hi newbie here. We took our van out for the first time over the weekend and had no hot water. It was warm for 5-10 seconds, then went cold.
Jayco came out yesterday and turned the thermostat up from just below half way to high. We still only get warm water but it lasts for a few minutes.
How hot should the water be? Surely I shouldn't have to boil the jug to wash up!

How old is your van? Is it still under warranty?

The water temp should not hot enough to scold, but just past what your average super hero can stand to hold his hand under for too long. In comfortable outside Autumn temperatures, I can get around 13min or so of acceptable temperature shower time before the water starts to go cold. I like hot showers.

Your HWS is not playing well. Have you tried both elec and gas to see if the issue is the same regardless of heating source. That may discount or pinpoint an electric element or burner issue, to narrow down the cause.

Next, being VERY VERY careful, turn on the HWS and give it 30min to heat up. Open the pressure relief valve inside the external heater cover and feel the temperature of the water coming directly out of the HWS, under the floor directly below the HWS. This will bypass the vans plumbing and the vans tempering value and give you true indication of HWS tank water temp. Youll need to very careful because the water will be directly from the HWS and you wont have the protection of the tempering valve adding cold water as it does inside the vans plumbing.

Let us know what happens

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
No you shouldnt somthing is a miss if jayco came out to fix they should have made sure it was working
And what they came to your house

Angela

Sep 12, 2017
Brisbane
Thanks guys, we were getting hot water from the valve, just not in the sink. Someone suggested there may be an outside shower tap turned on. Yes, there was and now we have boiling hot water. Think we may have to turn the thermostat back down.

The van is only a week old. Jayco wanted us to take it in to the service department but we are too busy this week. They had a service guy 10 minutes away, who was going to tow it in for us. He decided to look at it whilst he was here. Not sure why he said the water wouldn't get any hotter than it was!

Note to self, never leave a shower tap turned on slightly

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Glad it's all sorted....you do know you learnt another lesson !!!!! Use Jayco Service as a last resort, I would prefer to use a Caravan Maintenance Workshop before a dealers workshop, warranty issues repaired by dealers just seem to cause more warranty issues.....