Just Browsing Storm cover v fly's

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Correct.

My preference? Bed privacy screens only ...the black ones. Good for privacy and 95pc effective for water protection if you keep them taut and keep the mattress away from the canvas.

We had storm covers but never ever needed to use them, even in very strong winds and cyclones. Others get them for keeping the inside darker for kids to sleep.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Does anyone have an opinion on what is better? Storm covers or just bed flys?

I assume you can't fit both at the same time.

Chris
I have both and they are both good. The storm covers are really good, obvious weather protection, darker mornings, better for the aircon and the lack of thermal resistance from the canvas ... but traveling for a long time and short stays the storm cover never comes out. To put that into perspective, the nuisance is limited to taking out the bag, sliding the cover into the track (which is easy) and pushing in the press studs. Then unclipping, unsliding, folding up putting in the bag and putting bag away. Not much of a nuisance really; very much a precious first world issue

I made my mesh myself and its permanently mounted, easy, quick, privacy, airflow.

My mesh stays put even when I use the storm cover simply because I cant easily remove the mesh (not that I would)

In short the storm cover is awesome and better, but its a nuisance to fit so I rarely use it. If I did the sort of camping where I was staying stationary for week or more block at a time, I would use the storm cover all the time

Reactions: dagree

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Much the same as @Crusty181, I have and use both.

Usually only have the privacy screens down, but fit the flys if it looks like rain, or for warmth in winter, or to keep it dark and cooler in the mornings.

Can have both at once, however I have shared he press studs, so I Inclinomètre the screens from the van when using the bed end flys.

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
As @Dobbie said we use ours to keep it dark inside for the kids sleeping during the day as light comes through the green section of the canopy. They also will keep the standard canopy looking as good as new later down the line if it should be sold. If we need the Air con on they help keep the inside cool and vice versa.

If you are unfortunate to be caught in a storm you will not have to worry about the bed getting wet as this will protect the internal canopy which in turn keeps the mattress dry.

They can be fiddly to put up but to be honest its a 2-3 minute process per end after a few practice runs. they come down in seconds though, just pull them of the track and done.

You can still open up all the windows as they match the canopy windows and have the same feeling as though they are not even there so you can have the best of both worlds, fully opened or completely private.

Horses for courses

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I have both

yes you an have them both on / there / attached at the same time

I usually only fit them if longer than 2 days, or it looks like its going to rain
the black mesh ones stay on all the time

ChrisFatboySydney

Feb 29, 2016
Sydney
yes you an have them both on / there / attached at the same time

Thanks everyone for all the information. I didn't realize you could have them both on.

I read that for 2015/2016 models you can now leave them attached during travel which appeals to me. I guess I'll just have to see how much privacy you get with the storm covers alone and can always add the mesh later I guess.

Thanks again

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
From my observations /experience:

Privacy screens (black) are genrerally designed to remain on while travelling. Just unclip to use. Most in use come from Jayco or recognised canvas suppliers. Some of us have made their own but the majority are custom made.

Storm covers are designed to be a temporary attachment as they are heavier and can restrict light and air: method of attachment varies but usually need stronger fixings than the lighter privacy screens.

Unless you're @Crusty181 .....and we all know he's different!

:alien::alien:

And you'll always get variations on this theme according to preferences.

I'd be interested to know the price currently being touted for both. Our storm ones cost about $750 and the privacy screens were included as a freebie so I have no idea of the 'listed' price.

ChrisFatboySydney

Feb 29, 2016
Sydney
Reactions: Dobbie

stephen hoffman

Jun 7, 2016
New Zealand
I have just fitted storm cover from Valley Canvas .. its great, and I am able to "close" the front hatch with the cover still fitted .... its a tight squeeze but appears to be OK
First night of rain last night everything inside the expanded bed remained dry

Reactions: G Daddy

KECL

Aug 16, 2016
Secret Harbour WA
A few people have advised they leave their black privacy screens fitted; is there a trick to folding away the bed ends with these still fitted. I had some difficulty so have ben taking them off each time we fold away the beds.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
A few people have advised they leave their black privacy screens fitted; is there a trick to folding away the bed ends with these still fitted. I had some difficulty so have ben taking them off each time we fold away the beds.

Yes there is, we were shown at handover, but basically you fold them up so they sit above the bed canvas and clip into the hard lid.

I'll try and take some pics for you later

Reactions: bigcol

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@KECL .... On both our expandas the black mesh screens folded up and clipped in position with the existing press studs

Privacy Screen 001.jpg Privacy Screen 002.jpg

Beaten by that much @Bellbirdweb ;)

KECL

Aug 16, 2016
Secret Harbour WA
Thanks to dagree and Bellbirdweb; I will try and fit them and test out sometime over the Christmas period, in preparation for our annual trip to Walpole in early January.

Reactions: dagree

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Easy there @bigcol. You know how creepy it looks getting caught trying to take photos of someone elses van, when they have a lot of little kids ... especially the way I dress !!!!

The dude isnt helping, spread out over the entire site and parking his car outside the park. I cant tell when he's there; or most importantly when he's not