14' Series Storage

MeganJ

Jan 27, 2016
Adelaide
Hi all. We're eagerly awaiting our 14.44-4 which is due off the line on 29th April. I'm wanting to know where all you 14' owners store your clothes. We are a family of four (mum, dad 4yo and 2yo) and not sure if all our clothing will fit. We've come from having a camper trailer and used to keeping our clothes in bags, but hoping not to have to do that now. We changed the split pantry/robe to all shelving, but wondering do others use this for just clothes storage and keep food elsewhere? If so where do you keep your food? How about the under seat drawers, what do you keep in those? And all the overhead cupboards, what do you put in them? Just trying to figure out the most effective way to store everything, any responses will be much appreciated :)

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
We use the shelves in pantry for clothes, mum, dad 7 and 9y/o one shelf each, kept hanging space as hanging and share it. Underbunk drawer is basically towels. Under sink etc cooking stuff. Under A/C and TV use this shelf for plates, cups etc. Overhead is mainly empty with one used with a small basket full of phone / camera charges etc. Under lounge drawer (one used one empty) are kids books, colour in etc. Above fridge small cupboard is full of a few board games and cards.

Kids have their little compartments in bunks with what small things/books they want to bring. Everthing (other than clothes) stays in all the time so we dont have to pack for each trip. Still find there is more room then we need with most overhead cupboards empty.

Front tunnel has broom, step, jockey and a bin with gas cords and bike locks etc. Rear hatch has two bins with water hoses etc in one and the other is now empty. Under van has two 90mm with end caps which holds the waste hoses cut in 1/4's with snap connections.

2 bikes hang off the back and two more bikes in the back of the ute. Ute is pretty empty other than bikes now, when we used to tent camp it was full to the brim.

Hope this helps! We find there is heaps of room and we have to stop ourselves trying to fill every cupboard.

MeganJ

Jan 27, 2016
Adelaide
Very helpful thanks sounds like we're going to have heaps of room! So apart from the fridge where do you keep your food?

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
Most food is in fridge and the rest is left side of grill/stove there is a tall cupboard with a shelf. Bits and pieces under sink area. Nothing up top, scared in worst case it might fall if a door isn't shut properly.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
With our old 14 footer we kept clothes in the upper cupboards as they are lighter and food, especially tinned stuff, in the under seat drawers to keep the weight down low. Our wardrobe was converted to shelves only and that was used for less used clothes. Other under seat space stored gum boots, swim gear etc. We also had unfilled cupboards and still do with the Journey.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
We have the 14.44-5 OB, only two of us. Most drawers are for food and cooking utensils. Under seat drawers for spare linen, towels, induction cooking plate.
One wardrobe used for storing tv and spare cushions, hanging clothes.
Narrow tall cupboard with shelves for food, wine bottle tubes, toaster, kettle
We actually store spare bedding etc in large bags that we leave in the shower alcove.
Clothes bags stored on seats when traveling, on top of cupboards when camped or in wardrobe.
That help?

Maxisverymad

Jun 23, 2015
Tawonga Vic
Kids grown up so we have plenty of room in our 14.44-4, but what we did was just start using the van (with some pre planning of course) and see where things end up.
If you can do some over nighters to let things settle might work! :)

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
We have a 13yo and 10yo. One has clothes in the under bunk drawer. The other uses the drawer under the microwave. The wife and I share the cupboard under the TV/AC cupboard.
Pantry is for food. Wardrobe has towels in the bottom and jackets hanging.
Tea towels etc in drawer under one seat, board games in the other. We have HWS so it takes half of the under seat space.
Overhead cupboards have head torches, spare paper towel rolls, toilet paper, books, plastic shopping bags for rubbish, all four toiletry bags, fire blanket. We have spare overhead cupboard space.
Full size cupboards u der the sink/bench top has plates cups mixing bowls etc etc.
Front boot 4 x camp chairs, shovel, broom, portable clothesline, jockey wheel, dustpan/broom, ground mat and a few other nick nacks.
Rear boot cooking gear/pots/pans/camp oven/portable gas burner, side awning shade wall, hose, ext lead, wheel chocks, small tool box, coil of rope and a few other odds and sods.
Other side of rear boot that is accessed by lifting the bottom bunk is blankets and pop up shower tent and weatherproof bed end fly.
We have a collapsable dirty clothes hamper that lives on the floor when travelling and on top of the pantry when set up at camp.
If we do a big trip and need to carry additional food/drink it is stored in the back of the Prado which is basically empty otherwise.
The cupboard with the AC unit under the pantry is otherwise empty. You could probably fit a carton of beer in there. You could fit more stuff u der the seat where the battery is but we don't.
That is all I can think of at the moment but if I went outside for a look I would see stuff I missed, the odds and sods and nick backs.

MeganJ

Jan 27, 2016
Adelaide
Another question. Do any of you have a porta potty and where do you keep it? We have the standard size Thetford one and were wondering if it might fit in the floor cupboard underneath the pantry/robe?

Sturah

Oct 29, 2015
BrisVegas
Another question. Do any of you have a porta potty and where do you keep it? We have the standard size Thetford one and were wondering if it might fit in the floor cupboard underneath the pantry/robe?
We have only just got ours 18' and I can't believe how much storage space there really is. Like you were were worried about space (me and 4 girls) now I'm worried they wifi take more than they need.

Moral of the story. You'll be just fine:p

Bennov

Feb 27, 2016
Ringwood, vic
hi @Sturah, our 18.58.2 arrives July. Still can only dream about how much storage there is. Is the robe/pantry to left of door a robe as standard and pantry if requested? I don't think there is any other hanging space in the shower/toilet model? The wife prefers to hang than fold.
Cheers.

Sturah

Oct 29, 2015
BrisVegas
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
hi @Sturah, our 18.58.2 arrives July. Still can only dream about how much storage there is. Is the robe/pantry to left of door a robe as standard and pantry if requested? I don't think there is any other hanging space in the shower/toilet model? The wife prefers to hang than fold.
Cheers.
We thought long and hard about the shower and optioned to put it outside, we still have the hws and extra tank. We figured that the internal space would be used more by us this way. There is soooooo much cupboard space. We're away in it just now. So here are a few pics. Hope they help

Good luck

Sturah

Oct 29, 2015
BrisVegas
Great photo's, thanks @Sturah

Did you request the pantry or is that standard? I'll have ring up tomorrow and see if it's too late to go with the robe option.

Enjoy your time away!!
How did you go with your request? Out was just standard in the cupboard

Bennov

Feb 27, 2016
Ringwood, vic
I was told robe is standard. Shelving on request. But the salesman didn't exactly fill me with confidence. We'll see when it arrives.

Thanks

TinyXpanda

Dec 14, 2015
Queensland
Hi @MeganJ
Congrats on your purchase.
We also have a 14.44-4, are a family of 4(2A + 2C), and absolutely LOVE it!
We had a camper trailer for 5 years also, so were used to things in boxes and pop-up pantries and wardrobes.
I was concerned about the storage, but after our first few trips there is more than enough room for what we need, and OMG that first time we took the van away we were kicking back relaxing not more than 1/2hr after we pulled into our site. It was a revelation!

Here are a few answers to your questions:
1. We use the cupboards under (and to the right) of the sink as our pantry. I have bought some flattish rectangular plastic containers like this, which slide in and out the openings. It just keeps everything nice and neat and tidy.
plastic container.JPG

2. There is SO much storage at the end of the kids' bunks, particularly the bottom one, at the foot end. I'm encouraging them to use one side each of that, for some of their clothes, as at the head ends they also have little 'boxes' with lids for books and things.
3. Our van had also had the robe converted to all shelves. I was a little sad about this (we bought it second hand just 10 months old) as it means that we can't hang any of our clothes. Mr TinyXpanda says this is a great thing, because we shouldn't be wearing hanging clothes when camping anyway. LOL! Because this cupboard is now divided into shelves, I am on the hunt for some of these, in the measurements that would fit into each pigeon-hole:
foldable drawers.jpg

We would then be able to load this up with clothes and linen and slide them in. The pigeon holes are very narrow and particularly deep, though, so maybe I will have to sweet-talk Mr TinyXpanda into home-making me something.
4. I am not entirely sure, but I am thinking a porta-potti would fit into the cupboard under the robe. Ours has the air-conditioner condenser thingo as our A/C is not roof-mounted(sorry the very untechnical Mrs TinyXpanda writing this), so we can't fit anything in there!
5. Our first trip I had all of our crockery in the two drawers under the seats. This drove me bananas. The problem here is, though, that no normal size dinner plate will fit into the overhead cupboards above the sink. This is where I started my manic search for a plate that would fit. BigW to the rescue with the rectangular small platter (couldn't find a photo of it, but this is the round plate) from this range, which we use as our dinner plates:
big w plate.jpg

I now use the drawers under the seats for our "glassware" which is acrylic, and sundry kitchen items like platters/bowls etc.
6. I have come to the conclusion that we need a few more hooks mounted in the van to put car keys etc on, and also we now have a few small plastic baskets which we keep on the shelf under the TV to throw mobiles/wallets in. We can then pop those away quickly, or put them in the car when we're leaving the van.
7. I found these over-the-door- hooks at KMART for about $8 for a pack of two. We use them for hand-towel/tea-towel and the other for the small rubbish bag we have inside the van (on the hunt for a rubbish solution outside). There is just no room for any other type of rubbish bin inside.
over cupboard hooks.jpg

8. We use a collapsible laundry hamper which we had in the camper trailer. It can get put outside in the annexe on longer stays.

Hope these few things help, and best of luck setting up your new van. It is a very exciting time!

Mrs TinyXpanda

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Howard's Storage also have some good solutions, though we measured carefully, bought carefully then found the wire drawers couldn't be fitted without removing the trim around the cupboard.

So we then found a plastic drawer unit at Kmart which fitted perfectly. Not as schmuk as the others but works really well with enough space at the top to store plastic food storage containers.

We regarded this as a temporary solution but is now permanent.

Also, ikea have some rectangular plastic containers in their kitchen range which are great in lower cupboards as they can be slid out easily so you don't have to kneel just to find something.