Spare wheel removal 16-49-3

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
Is this a problem on all models with 2 gas bottles, or just the Outback with the larger wheels.

Don't forget that Jayco Roadside Assist will also change wheels for you.

Just wondering if they would come out to you somewhere on the Oodnadatta Track to help ???? Doubt it !

Paul

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Probably not........shouldn't have too much trouble with traffic or a place to stop though!:focus:

Seriously though, does anyone know or suspect if this also affects the standard models or just the Outback?:help:

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
Probably not........shouldn't have too much trouble with traffic or a place to stop though!:focus:

Seriously though, does anyone know or suspect if this also affects the standard models or just the Outback?:help:

Hi BoD,

Aren't the standard & outback wheels the same? Unless you go for the 16" option I think they are.
Bit of a PIA having to remove a gas bottle to change a flat..........

Paul

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Yeah there is a 16" option on the O/B - not sure if standard for O/B is 14" (which I know will be on our 17.56-2 standard) or 15"?:noidea:

Agreed, pulling gas bottles off to do a simple task is crazy!:tongue:

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
I just had a look at the 2011 Expanda Brochure & it shows the Outback wheels for caravans & pop tops to be 15" with the 16" as an option.

Surprised that the 17 standard series vans would have a 14" wheel but then there are a lot of things in the brochure that conflict whith what people are actually getting.

Paul

GLX-R

Mar 9, 2011
Kyneton, Vic
BoD,

With a 17.56 (of any type) you will find that if you have 2 gas bottles, at least one will have to come out to change a tyre. Apparently it can be done with one bottle only out but is a bit of a tight fit. So, given you have taken the time to disconnect & remove 1 bottle, might as well do both and get the spare out as easily as possible.

A 250mm shifter will cover every bolt you have to undo/tighten in the process (plus quite few other things)!!

Cheers

Ryno

I mentioned this problem to our dealer at Brisbane he said they could remove the rear support in the tyre carrier so the wheel can once again be slid out, and we could then replace it with a chain and padlock that will provide a insurance against it falling out, and stop it from going walk about.
Ultimately I would like to secure the spare to the underside of the van with a wind-up carrier, similar to what's used on a ute. My father in-law has done this to his van but his is pretty high off the ground, does anybody know if its possible on an 17- outback expanda?

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Crickey.............Oh well a flat will mean a bit of a time delay I guess.

Better remember to take a shifter spanner with me when I collect it 5 Dec.........be just my luck to....don't say it!:pray2:

mcgonical

Sep 6, 2011
Canberra
Took a peak at a Windsor drop down spare.

IMG_0936.jpg

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
So basically they had this great idea to mount the spare but discovered a major flaw that could have ramifications for Jayco so they fixed the issue to minimise any harm to Jayco but created a problem for the end user but to fix it to minimise issues for the end user...well leave it with them and see if they can to do something about it.... sounds like fun and games
Now Jan 2014 and the issue still persists with latest models with 2 Gas Bottles. Doh!