Spare wheel removal 16-49-3

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Recently had our Expanda 16-49-3 at the tyre dealer to get wheels balanced, found out we had to removed both gas bottles to get the spare out. glad we didn't discover that on the side of the road. Looks like we have room to move the bottles a bit to make room for the spare to lift straight out.

do I do this myself, or try to get the dealer to do it under warranty, guess it is really a design fault

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Doesn't sound right to me, should be easier than that. I would hit Jayco up first before trying anything yourself. Wonder if other Exanda owners have encountered the same problem.

Doogle

Mar 18, 2011
Melbourne, Victoria
Bushman,
Have you tried removing the spare wheel yourself or is this what the wheel balance guys told you who were doing the wheel balance ?

I'm not trying to say that it isn't the case but if it were me I'd try to remove it myself (if you haven't already) before contacting Jayco...instead of going from information given by a 3rd party (albeit no doubt correct), as I have read of a few people now who have had to remove at least one gas bottle to get to the spare wheel.

I know if I were Jayco and you called me and I asked if you had tried it and you said no, it may plant some doubt about the issue if you were only going from someone else's experience.....if that makes sense. How would I (Jayco) know they tried to remove the wheel correctly ?

I'm sure if you try it you'll find the same problem, but at least you can then use both references as an argument against the problem and it is an issue that "you" have come across personally.

Just an idea...

Dave :)

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Hi Dave,

yeah I was present when the work was being carried out, we were both trying to get it out on all sorts of angles, then tried removing 1 bottle first, still no go so 2 it was. I'll try getting some pics onthe weekend.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hmmm some pics would be good.

I met a bloke up in Bundaberg last year with an 18" and he had Jayco under warranty build a bracket so the spare wheel was standing up to overcome this particular issue.

Would be interested to see some pics sounds interesting! :)

Have you spoken to Jayco yet?

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Hmmm some pics would be good.

I met a bloke up in Bundaberg last year with an 18" and he had Jayco under warranty build a bracket so the spare wheel was standing up to overcome this particular issue.

Would be interested to see some pics sounds interesting! :)

Have you spoken to Jayco yet?

no havn't spoken to them yet, but I'm sure of a a positive out come my dealer is pretty good to deal with, I have to ring them anyway. will let you know how we get on.

I'll get some pics up over the weekend

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
A couple of pics I took, 1st you see how the bottles overhang each side when the spare is in its store postion.

The second is a close up of how much it hangs over, both sides.

I also found out today the supplied wheel brace doesn't fit the bolt holding the spare in place. so a socket and extention or a 4 way wheel brace is required.:(

Attachments

• 100_2462.JPG
    100_2462.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 437
  • 100_2463.JPG
    100_2463.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 460

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Hmmmm you have me worried now :)

Need to get of backside and go check van!

Did you have words with the dealer?

Yep spoke to dealer yesterday, he state his own van (same model) was the same. They said they'll look at doing something with it next time it's in. I have a few items that need sorting so it's booked in two month wait, doesn't matter though none of it's urgent and doesn't stop us ing the van.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Ok I have the van back at the dealer, they explained the spare use to be removed by sliding it out the rear, but due to an incident where the spare fell out of the carrier did a lot of damage to the said van plus the car folllowing "OUCH"

They had a brainchild and enclosed the rear of the carrier, I guess they should have made it an opening carrier of some sort DOH!

They will only do something under warranty if they obtain permission from the factory.

Will let you know the outcome.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Ok I have the van back at the dealer, they explained the spare use to be removed by sliding it out the rear, but due to an incident where the spare fell out of the carrier did a lot of damage to the said van plus the car folllowing "OUCH"

They had a brainchild and enclosed the rear of the carrier, I guess they should have made it an opening carrier of some sort DOH!

They will only do something under warranty if they obtain permission from the factory.

Will let you know the outcome.

So it was designed in a way that you have to remove the gas bottles to get it out for safety?

mcgonical

Sep 6, 2011
Canberra
I tried the wheel brace and you're right - it doesn't fit the bolt holding the spare in place. So if you get a flat the spare, jack and wheel brace are not much use to you unless you also happen to be carrying a socket set. Thanks for the heads-up.

cancan

Sep 26, 2011
Manly; Brisbane
So basically they had this great idea to mount the spare but discovered a major flaw that could have ramifications for Jayco so they fixed the issue to minimise any harm to Jayco but created a problem for the end user but to fix it to minimise issues for the end user...well leave it with them and see if they can to do something about it.... sounds like fun and games

crystal674

Jun 17, 2011
Benaraby Qld
We got a flat on the way home from the dealers!

The handle for the alco van supports fit the retaining bolt for the spare.

Lifting gas bottles out to remove spare on dual gas bottle models is impossible to do by yourself while it's still connected.

How do you securely hold the bottles and lift out the tyre at the same time?

Crystalyn

mcgonical

Sep 6, 2011
Canberra
Thanks for the tip about the Alco stay winder Crystalyn - if I had long enough at the side of the road I'd probably have tried that before attempting to gnaw through the bolt; I'll go and take my socket set out of the car for this weekend's trip.

Before our next big trip I plan to shift the spare to the rear of the van and want to add a second spare - thinking of using the flip-down mount for one spare and mounting the second underneath the van at the rear. I haven't seen anyone else with the 16.49 with two spares.

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
Before our next big trip I plan to shift the spare to the rear of the van and want to add a second spare - thinking of using the flip-down mount for one spare and mounting the second underneath the van at the rear. I haven't seen anyone else with the 16.49 with two spares.

When I finally get my expanda in Nov I will be moving the spare to the rear on a drop down carrier similar to the one on the Windsor Rapids. We are having the dealer fit the Galvanised RHS rear bumper in place of the powdercoated tube bar. This will give us a more suitable mounting to accept the carrier. I did a bit of spy work & took some pics of the Rapid carrier. My wife works for engineering & fabrication mob that can make them up for me. Apparently they will also need to strenghten the mounts of the rear bumper. But not sure yet if it would handle the weight of two spares though, but I hope so.
When this all finally happens I'll take some pics & post them on here.

Paul

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Is this a problem on all models with 2 gas bottles, or just the Outback with the larger wheels.

Don't forget that Jayco Roadside Assist will also change wheels for you.