Electrical Solar Panel not charging battery

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Ok yep has to be connected to the shunt. Now showing amps. I covered up the solar panels so no charging happening while I changed the connection. Now my take on it is this. While the battery is being charged, the >199 hours does not show on the screen and "dis" disappears from the discharging wording above the battery level - now shows charging. When the battery is not being charged (and if the battery switch is on) the no of hours left reappears and the "dis" reappears to show discharging above the battery level. Just my thoughts and I hope I have this correct???

So you have made this change @jbell6660 ?

It's makes perfect sense that it should work that way.

I guess I'm not surprised that Jayco wouldn't understand it properly.

jbell6660

Apr 30, 2011
Sydney
Yes but it is only showing around 2-3 amps.!! I have 2 x 150 watt panels and can only think such small amp charge due to batteries showing full on the battery gauge on the drifter screen???

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Yes but it is only showing around 2-3 amps.!! I have 2 x 150 watt panels and can only think such small amp charge due to batteries showing full on the battery gauge on the drifter screen???

If the battery is charged then it won't draw very much.

Try turning on all of the 12 lights and appliances at once.

It should go up

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
For the drifter to work properly all your negative connections should go through the shunt.

This includes the setec and your solar input as well. The only exception to this are items that draw more than 100 amps like large inverters etc. Those should be connected directly to the battery.

Note the drifter will not be able to see what those devices are using so it will effect its accuracy

Reactions: Crusty181

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Just changed the wiring around so that the solar negative and one of the other Jayco fitted ones were connected to the shunt as they were supposed to be, and like magic, I can now see the current coming in as well as going out.

I wonder if these knobs ever actually read the manual ???

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
What you say make sense, but the dealer was adamant solar is connected directl . I might email Setec and get a definitive answer
You guys are all spot on, so for what its worth the official word is Setec confirmed everything connected to shunt, including solar.

Jayco could not have possibly balls'ed up my solar and drifter wiring any more if they tried. They must wire it in the nightshift with the factory lights off.

Humorously, the Setec reply referred me to "see page 18 of the attached manual", like im the nong.

I had the stop myself replying with "you might want to send that manual to Jayco, theyve lost their copy"

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
You guys are all spot on, so for what its worth the official word is Setec confirmed everything connected to shunt, including solar.

Jayco could not have possibly balls'ed up my solar and drifter wiring any more if they tried. They must wire it in the nightshift with the factory lights off.

Humorously, the Setec reply referred me to "see page 18 of the attached manual", like im the nong.

I had the stop myself replying with "you might want to send that manual to Jayco, theyve lost their copy"

Sitting at my desk laughing @Crusty181. Given how they manage to stuff this up, I'm reasonably impressed they manage to get the rest of it working.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Re-wired the Drifter and solar input to where they should be back on the shunt. So far so good, im getting more sensible readings.

But ill get a better indication when we leave the metro mains power area back to free camping for a few days

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Copy/Paste of what I put on the "Good Morning" thread a few minutes ago...... Meant to post here.
Damn Friday night drinks :very_drunk: :bounce:

Hey @Crusty181 ... I didn't forget your request to get a pic of the shunt wiring (Did forget about letting you know!) :oops:

Pulled things apart when we got home from Busselton to get the pic and couldn't find the damn thing... Then remembered you have the drifter control and we have the TDS Solar Reg with Coast to Coast Tank and Battery Monitor (Wired direct and forgot no shunt needed) o_O

At least I managed to clean out the dead ants from behind the panels :D

Reactions: Smirke

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
So we are getting the whole story, slowing coming out Dags has ants in his pants and Crustycon has no pants !!!!!!!.:congratulatory:....what sort of WA gatherings do you lot have over there ????????...:triumphant:.............could be interesting.........:shocked:..................