20' Series Shopping list and thoughts

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
I would reconsider the oven, do you want to be cooking in a webber in the weather we are having ATM.
We still have the stove top and Thermal cooker I guess. Still considering the oven - I guess it's one of those nice to haves at the moment in my mind but if we don't add it now it would be an expensive option to add later.

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
a washing machine would be handy for doing your "smalls" - personal & privately

just my thought
For smalls and alike I am thinking maybe one of those little foot operated ones - less space/weight than a machine. Not sure a machine is a must have (I would like to have every option but can't afford that ;) )

Cheers

Reactions: bigcol

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Sounds great and I go along with the above comments, I would add though that to get the most out of having dual batteries you should have identical batteries both in age, make and type, mismatched pairs tend to not get charged to their full potential.
That has crossed (and is still on) my mind. Other option is to replace the standard battery down the track when we plan to go remote and have saved some more cash.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
For smalls and alike I am thinking maybe one of those little foot operated ones - less space/weight than a machine. Not sure a machine is a must have (I would like to have every option but can't afford that ;) )

Cheers

If you're not too fussy and want to save on space, weight etc and are already considering washing alternatives, try the bucket approach!

Get a good bucket with a very tight lid, add the 'smalls' (or 'larges' in the case of Bigcol) and cover with water, add washing powder and close the lid. Leave it in the shower area or somewhere safe while you trundle along and the washing is agitated so all you have to is rinse and hang out. It works but can be a pain but it is a way around it.

Bigger stuff will always have to be done at a laundry anyway.

My five cents worth!

:bathbaby:

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
I have a washing machine you can do washing when it suits you and don't have to wait your turn at the park. Having 4 kids you need to keep on top of it and at $4-5 a load it doesn't take long to cover the costs of the machine.
Also on cameras I used a brash import wired camera thanks to recommendations on this forum, it's reasonably priced and basic to use I installed it myself but if you are purchasing brand new get them to put it in. I have 2 cameras one pointing down for view of rear bumper and one pointing out to assist with overtaking and I can watch who's picking their nose at traffic lights I was going to use the in dash in the car but have a seperate system is way better being on all the time only down fall is another screen to mount in the cockpit. I used a suction cap to the window and remove it when I don't want it.
View attachment 44196 I put 2 work lights in for reversing at night while installing camera
Loving the idea of LED's on the back - a DIY job at some stage I guess. As it's not an option I don't think it will come from the factory like that even if I asked. Probably do the camera at the same time - the dealer doesn't offer a service to do the camera (but can recommend who does and I deal direct) - may as well do this later I guess when funds allow.

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
I would get the extra water tank. Then it's there if you want it. We use a WDH on our 20.64 behind our 200. It does tow better with the hitch fitted. We have a washing mashing. For only $300 it was worth it. There are so many cupboards that we can't fill what we have. We have only used it a couple of times and as said above, it is good for socks and jocks as well as shorts and t shirts ( the kids get through plenty of these when you are away. We also changed the fridge from the standard 150l 3 way to a 185 Waeco. Also added an extra 150 watt panel( now have 2) as well as an extra battery. Couldn't be happier with the van. An addition I am making is fitting a serroco fan at the foot of each of the kids bunks as the ar is a bit stil up that end of the van. I will probably fit one above our bed as well near the to bracket.
Cheers

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Cheers all.

So - after another visit (and hopefully my last) to the dealer I've added the 3rd Water tank, provisioned a 2nd battery (will add later) and added the oven.

I can't see the value in the washing machine for us and would prefer the cupboard space. If SWITBO really wants one later it seems easy enough to fit. Power is there and plumbing the undercarriage seems easy enough. Won't be "as nice" as if I got it now, but I'm generally fussy and think I could make it work.

Further discussion points I had:
  • The pantry already has shelves - if I added any more I think they would be to short.
  • I'll use a basket/tray setup in the closet. Will figure this out later after a few uses when we know what we want/need. Seems like an easy enough mod.
  • I have requested if they can run the Waste tank sensors to the undercarriage somewhere for the Drifta during the build. Hopefully they can which will save me later as I really love the idea of wiring this to the waste cassette.
  • The microwave placement cannot be moved up high.
  • The front under bed storage already has an external access door. The rear storage is to small - if a door was added you wouldn't even get a folding camp chair in it.
  • I'm happy with the position of the 240V/12V points in the bunks.
  • The external TV pack cannot be moved. To low for my liking, but there really isn't anywhere else to put it.
  • Jockey wheel will be centre mounted in the event I do need the WDH's.
Pretty much I'm done until it arrives (I hope). Every visit ends up costing more money...

Oh - and my shopping list for the day includes
2 x levelling ramps
2 x chocks
1 x 10m drinking water hose
1 x 15A extension lead (can't remember the length, but should be enough)
1 x waste water hose

Hopefully that's enough for the maiden voyage.

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Can someone please explain why it would matter if it's included in Tare weight and not payload? End of the day why does it matter which it falls into?

Cheers
If second battery is fitted at factory it is included in tare weight (Tare mass is the weight of the caravan as it leaves the factory, without water in the tanks, any gas in the cylinders, any luggage or personal effects whatsoever.) the other weight is the
Aggregate Trailer Mass (ATM, it is the most your caravan can weigh, with everything in and on it, as it stands, unhitched. It is the weight that each wheel and the jockey wheel impose on the ground all added together, )

example ATM 3000 kg

TARE 2525 kg
so pay load = 475 kg

with second battery fitted at factory (assuming second battery weight 30 kg)
ATM 3030 kg
TARE 2555 kg
so pay load will still be 475kg

I know 475kg seems like a lot of payload. but when you start adding it up it does not take long.
2 x 82ltr water tanks = 164 kg
gas in bottles = 17 kg
toilet waste = 20 kg
bikes = 40 kg
food and beer = 60+ kg
All ready at 300 + kgs

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Been living in Big Mal since April, thought the washing machine would hardly get used, that was a wrong assumption it's a brilliant bit of gear while on mains supply, so if you plan to spend some time travelling then its handy but if like most folks only use the van for a few weeks a year then not so much.

My usual advice for new vanners is to wait and see what you really need as you can spend a heap on junk you hardly need or use...........best thunder can warning is the Mk 1 eyeball, just look down, novelty gauges are great at being wrong.

They always sell ramps as pairs, I have only ever used one..........to lift one side you only need to run one wheel up on the ramp, doing it to both is not neccessary.

Carry 2 x leads as sometimes a 10M lead won't cut it, same with the hose........if you need to join 2 leads put the join between 2 ice cream cartons and you have a water proof box for the join.

Unless your into spending your leisure time cooking, an oven is just a fancy cupboard.

Brash Imports for camera gear, set up is simple..........Wireless cams are rubbish.
Now sit back and wait.....lol,lol,lol.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I have a 30m & a 15 & a 10m power lead - I have once had to use all three leads.......

I have a 30m & a 15m water hose
my 30m is in a roll, and takes up less room than the 15m hose
like this

005310_1.jpg

Reactions: Drover

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
a washing machine would be handy for doing your "smalls" - personal & privately

just my thought

Cheers

if you have a look at @burnsie build up - he fitted a washing machine after having the Van for awhile....
good hints and tips for when you do it as well

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
If second battery is fitted at factory it is included in tare weight (Tare mass is the weight of the caravan as it leaves the factory, without water in the tanks, any gas in the cylinders, any luggage or personal effects whatsoever.) the other weight is the
Aggregate Trailer Mass (ATM, it is the most your caravan can weigh, with everything in and on it, as it stands, unhitched. It is the weight that each wheel and the jockey wheel impose on the ground all added together, )

example ATM 3000 kg
TARE 2525 kg
so pay load = 475 kg

with second battery fitted at factory (assuming second battery weight 30 kg)
ATM 3030 kg
TARE 2555 kg
so pay load will still be 475kg

I know 475kg seems like a lot of payload. but when you start adding it up it does not take long.
2 x 82ltr water tanks = 164 kg
gas in bottles = 17 kg
toilet waste = 20 kg
bikes = 40 kg
food and beer = 60+ kg
All ready at 300 + kgs

Thank - makes sense. I also spoke to the dealer and they explained it to me in much the same way. Jayco pretty much only put 475Kg as a payload, regardless of Tare (within reason). You can apply to have it increased slightly if you have a reason).

So now it makes sense why you want the stuff loaded into the Tare.

Cheers

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Been living in Big Mal since April, thought the washing machine would hardly get used, that was a wrong assumption it's a brilliant bit of gear while on mains supply, so if you plan to spend some time travelling then its handy but if like most folks only use the van for a few weeks a year then not so much.

My usual advice for new vanners is to wait and see what you really need as you can spend a heap on junk you hardly need or use...........best thunder can warning is the Mk 1 eyeball, just look down, novelty gauges are great at being wrong.

They always sell ramps as pairs, I have only ever used one..........to lift one side you only need to run one wheel up on the ramp, doing it to both is not neccessary.

Carry 2 x leads as sometimes a 10M lead won't cut it, same with the hose........if you need to join 2 leads put the join between 2 ice cream cartons and you have a water proof box for the join.

Unless your into spending your leisure time cooking, an oven is just a fancy cupboard.

Brash Imports for camera gear, set up is simple..........Wireless cams are rubbish.
Now sit back and wait.....lol,lol,lol.
Can fit the washing machine later if needed. Happy to go ahead without it.

Why would you only lift 1 wheel and not both on the one side (assuming you wanted to lift the van evenly)? I understand if 1 corner dropped away, but if it was an even slope???

The lead they quoted was a 15A 15M lead (which will suit the park we are going to first). I guess I can buy another when/if I ever need it - just need to check with the park each time I book.

20M drinking hose (assuming water and power come from a similar spot should be fine)

Oven is in (pretty much because it's something that is hard/expensive to add later).

Love the ice cream bucket idea for a water proof connector.

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you are low on one side, with dual axles, just putting one wheel on a ramp will lift the van up so no need to stuff around trying get 2 in position. Usually easier to pull van onto it while 2IC looks at level on drawbar and yells out, most times only on the ramp a small bit, when okay stand on brake while 2IC chucks a chock under it................
That reminds me, a couple of 50mm x 150 x 150 blocks of wood (real wood not MDF or chip crap) are very handy to have, can be used under stands, jockey wheel and even under a wheel to get things just right when a ramp is just too much trouble.........so about 6 is good number, they even double up as a jack pad, chopping block for kindling, fish, bunnies, roo...very versatile.

Another idea a short length of garden hose with fitting that will run from your draw bar tap to the rear of van, used for washing, filling water tanks, muddy people etc when connected to mains, also can transfer water from one tank to another for balance.

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
We have stayed at lots of places that needed all different lengths of water and silage hoses, so I bought a 20m length of each. I cut them into a 10m and 2 x 5m lengths with joiners, that way I have most situations covered. The water hose has nylex type fittings and the sullage line has cam locks. I also fitted cam locks to the outlet on the van, that way I can have caps on them to stop dust getting in when we are on dirt roads.( just have to remember to take them off when you pull up or it will get messy!!!!)