Electrical Setec power supply/charger , green power light flashing.

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Hello
The Setec power supply/charger in my van seems to flash the green power light randomly once the battery is fully charged. The flashing seem to be about every 8 seconds it goes off for about a second and seems to keep doing it until I use some battery power to get the charger to cut in.
Is this normal or has the charger got a problem?

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
I don't have a series three setec so can't give you a definite answer.

The manual seems to indicate that the green light simply serves to indicate 240v is present. So i would think it should just stay on when you have the van plugged in to the mains. Check that the setec power plug is pushed in all the way or maybe even try it in another power socket just to be sure.

Hopefully one of the many owners of new expandas with series 3 setecs will be able to clarify this for you. If not you can always contact Setec via email and ask them directly. I have done so in the past and they were most helpful. :)

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
I don't have a series three setec so can't give you a definite answer.

The manual seems to indicate that the green light simply serves to indicate 240v is present. So i would think it should just stay on when you have the van plugged in to the mains. Check that the setec power plug is pushed in all the way or maybe even try it in another power socket just to be sure.

Hopefully one of the many owners of new expandas with series 3 setecs will be able to clarify this for you. If not you can always contact Setec via email and ask them directly. I have done so in the past and they were most helpful. :)
I have emailed setec and they were great but they are telling me that it is normal.
They say it is when the charger is switching between charging and float mode.
But i do not see it flashing all the time and it doesn't seem to be consistent so i would like to know if any one else is seeing the green light flash.

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Ours just stays on. Do you have any other battery to connect and see if that makes any difference? What about draining down the battery about 20% then check if it is solid when recharging?

Reactions: Base23

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Ours just stays on. Do you have any other battery to connect and see if that makes any difference? What about draining down the battery about 20% then check if it is solid when recharging?
Have drained battery and whilst charging the battery the light stays on. It only flashes when the battery has been fully charged for a while.

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
I have emailed setec and they were great but they are telling me that it is normal.
They say it is when the charger is switching between charging and float mode.
But i do not see it flashing all the time and it doesn't seem to be consistent so i would like to know if any one else is seeing the green light flash.
Maybe everyone else should then be complaining that their unit isn't switching from charging to float mode - they can't have it both ways.

Reactions: Drover and Base23

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
@Base23 If the van is still under warranty it may be worth contacting your local Jayco dealer to get their take on the situation. it will be most disappointing if Setec have simply fobbed you off with false information. You need to find out for sure if the light is meant to flash or not, your dealer may be able to contact setec directly and hopefully higher up the food chain than the person who corresponded with you. From the members responses so far it would appear the light is not meant to flash.

Reactions: Rockape and dagree

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
@Base23 If the van is still under warranty it may be worth contacting your local Jayco dealer to get their take on the situation. it will be most disappointing if Setec have simply fobbed you off with false information. You need to find out for sure if the light is meant to flash or not, your dealer may be able to contact setec directly and hopefully higher up the food chain than the person who corresponded with you. From the members responses so far it would appear the light is not meant to flash.
I agree, it seems I may have to take the issue further.

Cheers for all the advise and responses.

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Problem fixed.
Found my projecta IP2000 inverter was sending 13.6 volts to the battery and that was upsetting the Setec charger causing the mains (green) Light to flash.
Have now fitted a circuit breaker between the battery and inverter to disconnect the inverter from the battery when using mains power.

Reactions: dagree