Electrical Setec and different sized batteries

JS4910

Sep 21, 2016
Gladstone Central Qld
Hello all,

When we ordered our Starcraft I opted out of Jayco supplying the second battery for two reasons, one the price the wanted and most importantly the location they decided to stick it on the day.

Being an electrician I would prefer to wire it myself and probably re do all the Jayco installed cabling, as well as position it to suit weight distribution and maximise storage and access.

But I also thought that for the same money, or less I could get a larger capacity battery which is never a bad thing meaning the fridge will run longer, meaning the beer will stay colder longer, enough justification in my books.

So with that in mind will the Setec unit handle two different capacity batteries and bring them up to full charge or will it only charge the lower rater unit to maximum and the higher rated unit will only ever get to the same level?

The factory battery is a 100AH AGM but I was looking at a 120AH to 180AH as the second unit, if the Setec can manage it.

Cheers Glen.

Reactions: EDT82

EDT82

Sep 3, 2016
Blackwater, Qld
Hello all,

When we ordered our Starcraft I opted out of Jayco supplying the second battery for two reasons, one the price the wanted and most importantly the location they decided to stick it on the day.

Being an electrician I would prefer to wire it myself and probably re do all the Jayco installed cabling, as well as position it to suit weight distribution and maximise storage and access.

But I also thought that for the same money, or less I could get a larger capacity battery which is never a bad thing meaning the fridge will run longer, meaning the beer will stay colder longer, enough justification in my books.

So with that in mind will the Setec unit handle two different capacity batteries and bring them up to full charge or will it only charge the lower rater unit to maximum and the higher rated unit will only ever get to the same level?

The factory battery is a 100AH AGM but I was looking at a 120AH to 180AH as the second unit, if the Setec can manage it.

Cheers Glen.
Yeah this would be good to know myself, cause if not I was going to run the 2nd battery on seperate circuit (ctek 250 duel and seperate solar panel for this circuit.50amp Anderson from car?etc) I want to place a 2nd130amp in, I found this circuit drawing that others have posted.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    431.5 KB · Views: 353
Reactions: Rockape and JS4910

EDT82

Sep 3, 2016
Blackwater, Qld
I think in theory the battery's need to be same size but Would like to know as well. If not I might be buying 2 130ampers. Lol

EDT82

Sep 3, 2016
Blackwater, Qld
Hello all,

Cheers Glen.
Yeah mate just did some research, both battery's hooked up in parallel need to be same size or improper charging of either battery can occur. So one battery will never receive the full charge.

Reactions: Rockape and JS4910

JS4910

Sep 21, 2016
Gladstone Central Qld
Yeah mate just did some research, both battery's hooked up in parallel need to be same size or improper charging of either battery can occur. So one battery will never receive the full charge.

Well bugger hey........................guess it will be another 100AH unit then, or does the Setec have the ability to charge 3 x 100AH batteries?

Cheers Glen.

EDT82

Sep 3, 2016
Blackwater, Qld
As per the specs on the setec website. There are two models the 20 amp and 35 amp series. They are only a 240v to 12v charge/supply. So if you are needing 3 battery's for off grid camping the setec will be no use as you will need 240 v to top up every day. On my swan before I sold it I ran a ctek 250s duel (solarAlternator)which I plan to plug into my new van once I receive but on a seperate circuit. I use to run 120w foldable solar panel. This would give around 8 amps give or take. Once plugged into the ctek,the ctek voltage would rise to 14v (eliminating voltage drop over long distances)and would push 20 amps into battery on 5 stage charging cycle. So this is same as setec but without the 240v. I would still plug in 240v and use that when needed. Also if you want to run more then 20 amp into battery's you need to connect a ctek smartpass to the 250s duel. It is good for 80 amps ( alternator charge). More batteries in parallel more efficiency, less drain , but longer to charge once drained. So really just have to calculate what you use in amps per hr and as long as you are under the 20amp you will be on the positive side of charging.

Reactions: JS4910

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
How about fitting a battery switch - battery 1only /battery 2 only / both 1& 2/ neither.
I have a marine 4 position battery switch to allow me to keep both batteries independent of each other.

Reactions: JS4910 and EDT82

EDT82

Sep 3, 2016
Blackwater, Qld
Yeah I agree this was my setup in my Swan. 2ND battery on totally separate circuit but could join both batteries together. This will be going back in my van when I get it. With a couple mods to suit new van I would say

Attachments

• DSC_0416.JPG
    DSC_0416.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 231

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Think you'll find the two setecs are not 20 amp and 35amp but that's their model numbers! St20ii and st35ii The actual charging rate is lower, like 10amp and 15amp?

I never thought Jayco were unreasonable with the price on there 2nd battery.? Both vans I paid $300 which for a reputable 100ah deep cycle is fair. The other advantage is that's not 30kgs off your payload you lose by adding your own. Yes they do plonk them in stupid spots.

EDT82

Sep 3, 2016
Blackwater, Qld
Think you'll find the two setecs are not 20 amp and 35amp but that's their model numbers! St20ii and st35ii The actual charging rate is lower, like 10amp and 15amp?

I never thought Jayco were unreasonable with the price on there 2nd battery.? Both vans I paid $300 which for a reputable 100ah deep cycle is fair. The other advantage is that's not 30kgs off your payload you lose by adding your own. Yes they do plonk them in stupid spots.
Yeah I was more talking they are 20 and 35 amp models. Yes you are right that they put 10 and 15 amp into battery but run 20 and 35 amp to run load of van power so it still can charge batterys. Yeah I'm only putting 2nd in myself as have 1 laying around.