Just Browsing Security selling and buying online

Marilyn

Nov 1, 2014
Hi- Important FYI .. We recently listed our van for sale on Gumtree: 14.44 Expanda. Price listed was $32,000. We had a few people come to view as soon as it was listed, but unfortunately no buyers at that stage. One of the 'viewers' called to say unfortunately the van wouldn't fit in his carport, but "by the way" he was a member of the Victoria Police and we should be aware that we had been scammed with an identical ad on Ebay ... not an ad posted by us but our photos of our van, and our same text... and the sale price was $14,000 !! This 'seller' was collecting holding deposits for a van they did not own! We immediately contacted the Victoria Police, Gumtree, and Ebay ... it's not easy trying to find someone to actually talk to at Ebay!! Filled in an online form with all of the above details and finally someone responded to us - after the bogus seller had removed the online 'sale'. We received a number of calls querying why the van was listed on different sites at different prices! Our message to you from all of this is DO NOT give anyone a deposit on a van without actually seeing it. If it is not located near where you live, ask a fiend to go check before you put that deposit down. It may appear to be too good an offer to ignore, but check first. Take care out there!

Delano

Apr 27, 2014
North west Melbourne
Hi- Important FYI .. We recently listed our van for sale on Gumtree: 14.44 Expanda. Price listed was $32,000. We had a few people come to view as soon as it was listed, but unfortunately no buyers at that stage. One of the 'viewers' called to say unfortunately the van wouldn't fit in his carport, but "by the way" he was a member of the Victoria Police and we should be aware that we had been scammed with an identical ad on Ebay ... not an ad posted by us but our photos of our van, and our same text... and the sale price was $14,000 !! This 'seller' was collecting holding deposits for a van they did not own! We immediately contacted the Victoria Police, Gumtree, and Ebay ... it's not easy trying to find someone to actually talk to at Ebay!! Filled in an online form with all of the above details and finally someone responded to us - after the bogus seller had removed the online 'sale'. We received a number of calls querying why the van was listed on different sites at different prices! Our message to you from all of this is DO NOT give anyone a deposit on a van without actually seeing it. If it is not located near where you live, ask a fiend to go check before you put that deposit down. Take care out there!
As the old saying goes...
If it sounds to good to be true...
And buyer Beware.!!!

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Marilyn

Nov 1, 2014
So true - you just don't think it will ever happen to you - and goodness knows how many were scammed by this 'person' (for want of a better name!!)

Reactions: Delano and bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I wonder if it's the same scum who advertise a 17 expanda and give the address as anything from Toowoomba to the Gold Coast?

We've tried reporting them but with no success.

The price and the one photo posted with the ad is the main giveaway but a timely warning......buyer beware!

Reactions: Delano

Marilyn

Nov 1, 2014
Yes - we're on the lucky side - we still have the van, but others don't have the deposits they have outlaid.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Yes a lot of the scamming going on for years. I had some fun with one of them two years ago when looking for our van when they "were" advertising a van I had seen elsewhere (Victoria and they were North Western Australia). Posted about it here when it happened.

They really go all out as they sent me an email with a very good professional looking ebay email offering to be a third party in the sale.... Let's just say that when I replied telling them I reported them to Scamwatch there was no more correspondence and the add was removed 8-)

I highly recommend if you see an add and you suspect it is scam report it to Scamwatch as well. Might not stop them but it might help reduce the scumbags trying it!

Tucker

May 4, 2016
Geelong, Victoria
When we had our swan outback for sale luckily we had a few people call me to let us know it was advertised on other site or $16000 less than advertised on we sold the swan 4 months ago and still see it every now and then up for sale (via scams) and keep letting the site know it's a scam they eventually remove it but it goes back up again a week or two later

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Gumtree is dodgy as . I now refuse to list anything there after a couple of unnerving issues selling stuff. At least at fleabay the seller is registered (yeah I know it's gumtree) but it seems a better deal.

Reactions: bigcol