Electrical Satellite TV - VAST

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Ok.

Big day! I've made a decision.

No Foxtel on the road...too much fluffing around for me.

Thought about how much to we would want to watch while away for 3 months .....very little.

Anything we would want can be scheduled to record on fox box at home and watch when we get back. We're paying for it so may as well use it.

In the meantime, we can be almost tv free!,

But thanks fo the good info, I now know what I'm rejecting.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Ok.

Thought about how much to we would want to watch while away for 3 months .....very little.

Anything we would want can be scheduled to record on fox box at home and watch when we get back. We're paying for it so may as well use it.

Before we started taking the Foxtel box with us I'd ring and put a freeze on Foxtel for the length of our trip so no charges while I was away

Reactions: Delano and bigcol

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Ok.

Even though we have the facility, we very rarely actually watch TV when out and about. But it is good to have to watch a big game or just chill out for a while if we want to.

Also came in very hany when we had 96hrs solid rain :rain:

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Also got the vast from Access and only tried it at home... Going to set it up here while at Busselton "Coz we can" to try it out while away. Usually put the TV on just for background noise.

Mrs Dagree will be happy as she will be able to watch Home and Away when it starts on Monday.... Happy Wife Happy Life ;)

Last edited:

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I've seen the interminable ads for H and A and all those other hyped up shows...just as well the tennis was good!

The Chaser looks to be a rival for "nothing show of the year" but I could be wrong....I often am but I won't be tempting my taste buds.

How's the WA weather now? Any backlash from Stan?

Reactions: Delano

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Last edited:
Reactions: dagree and bigcol

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Hi @yabbietol,
We bought the same Sat System from Accedd and have tried it at home, worked really well, we just got the cheap finder though and it was a bit of a mission finding the right satellite. Which finder did you get, and you find it easy hey...
The one I bought is described as below on the Access web site and cost $150 as part of the package($188 without kit including postage):

http://www.accessantennas.com.au/pe...eable-battery-12v-car-charger-and-240v-cable/

To quote them:
... Satlink-RV which is commonly referred to as the "Marriage Saver". It has a built in battery so it can be powered independently. This tool is commonly used by TV antenna technicians to locate the satellite as it picks up a very weak signal so there is a lot more margin for error than cheaper inline satellite meters. It is only programmed for the one satellite to it does make it easier to locate the satellite. This unit allows you to break free of your receiver and find the best position for your satellite dish prior to connecting everything up.

NOTE: They set it up for Australia if you get it from them, you can get it cheaper on eBay, but it may not be set up for the OPTUS satellite we use, Access charge $100 to set one up up bought from eBay or someone else.

It has a screen and a couple of modes that include the picture and sound with signal strength bars. I found the sound was useful in bright sunlight which meant you could put the Sat finder down and use both hands to tweak the final dish position, if the sound stopped you moved the dish too far off signal.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
I've seen the interminable ads for H and A and all those other hyped up shows...just as well the tennis was good!

The Chaser looks to be a rival for "nothing show of the year" but I could be wrong....I often am but I won't be tempting my taste buds.

How's the WA weather now? Any backlash from Stan?
Copping a bit of wind and rain in the South West but able to sit out under the gazebo with a coffee or two this morning..... Now clear but a bit cool!

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
We have the same "Marriage Saver" as @yabbietol
Brand new (unused second hand) for $50 :) Used the el cheapo one and is usable but no where near as good as the digital finder. Will give it a go tomorrow and set up the sat-dish

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Ah......ready for the big tv offerings starting today?

Out of sheer curiosity, I'd be interested in a guess of power usage changes from normal tv to the rolls Royce satellite combo.

Hope it all works well.

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Ah......ready for the big tv offerings starting today?

Out of sheer curiosity, I'd be interested in a guess of power usage changes from normal tv to the rolls Royce satellite combo.

Hope it all works well.

Not sure of exact figures,the specs say less than 15W on 12V. An important reason we bought the Satking DVBS2 8000CA set top box is that it can run directly of 12V so when free camping we do not have to run the inverter to watch Sat TV. We have yet to use our set up bush camping, but we will certainly be watching power usage when we do.

Specs are on this web page
http://www.satking.com.au/satellite-tv/satellite-tv-decoders/dvbs2-800ca

Most other brands and models of freestanding Sat TV set top box seem to run on 240V so you need an inverter running or 240V power supplied. The characteristics of permanently mounted Sat TV systems are not known to me as they were out of our price range and we did not do any research into their performance or specs. I am sure someone else on this forum would know about their power consumption.

Reactions: Drover and dagree

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Not sure of exact figures,the specs say less than 15W on 12V. An important reason we bought the Satking DVBS2 8000CA set top box is that it can run directly of 12V so when free camping we do not have to run the inverter to watch Sat TV. We have yet to use our set up bush camping, but we will certainly be watching power usage when we do.

Specs are on this web page
http://www.satking.com.au/satellite-tv/satellite-tv-decoders/dvbs2-800ca

Most other brands and models of freestanding Sat TV set top box seem to run on 240V so you need an inverter running or 240V power supplied. The characteristics of permanently mounted Sat TV systems are not known to me as they were out of our price range and we did not do any research into their performance or specs. I am sure someone else on this forum would know about their power consumption.

*Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring* for the same reasons

Reactions: yabbietol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
As said, sheer curiousity.

We've just solved a small problem with taking recorded tv stuff with us.

Bought a small pvr with dual HD and a huge hard drive. So now we can load it up before we go....hopefully with some Fox stuff but that's not important....and we've got options of what to watch if the urge to watch tv takes us.

No more multiple DVDs to burn in the expectation we might want to watch...and it weighs just 1.1kilos!

I'm a happy camper.....I think.

Reactions: Drover and dagree