Exterior Roof Aircon 16.49.1

Evan

Jan 27, 2015
Hi,

I am considering installing a Aircommand sparrow into our 2005 16.49.1. I have a few questions.

1. Is there any specific roof placement or consideration for installing this onto a poptop (as i understand it this model of a/c was used by jayco etc)
2. Has anyone attempted to install one outside of the factory install?

Based on the product/install manual, the placement is typically in the middle however it does mention placement between the roof support members and/or the use of a H support to prevent the roof from flexing and creating potential for water to pool etc.

Any other information is appreciated.

Regards,

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Welcome to the forum @Evan

Last week I was following a 16 Expanda (approx '09-'10 model) and the thing that caught my eye was the shiney new roof mount a/c.
As I was following it you could see the roof flexing up and down with the weight of the a/c unit. I'm not sure if this had the roof rebraced for the new unit but there sure was a lot of movement in the roof, it looked like a retro fit unit.

I'm not sure how long the roof was going to last with the amount of movement going on.
From factory the roofs come already braced to handle the roof a/c unit.

I guess just make sure its fitted correctly as per manufacturers specifications mainly re the bracing for a retro fit.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
evening @Evan welcome to the forum

as @cruza driver said,
if you are retro fitting, and it was not already installed (replacing) you will need to either
a) get the H frame made up for it - or buy from Jayco - this sits on the outside of the roof, on top - not sure how it is attached though
b) get a new roof with the supports already built in from Jayco - not sure of the costs..........

either way, it may be a headache............... (just saying.........)

I looked briefly at this for my Flamingo, and while still thinking, I ended up "upgrading" to my Expanda (16.49.1 as well with the roof top aircon)

yes it can be done though, as I have seen a few like yours with the retro fitted roof aircon, but never got around to asking how they did it

if you put in where abouts you are, someone local to you may know of who to see for the H frame

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Yep you need separate support. When a roof a/c is optioned Jayco install a h frame in the roof. It's not feasible to retrofit this inside later. Suppliers will sell a frame to mount externally to support the AC , looks crap IMO but maybe better if you painted. You also need to get 240v to the roof. Think long and hard, might be easier to live with out or change vans. The other option is the split system that uses ducting under the seats or beds can't remember the name but it may have neen a Truma system?

http://caravansplus.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=8931

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
Yep you need separate support. When a roof a/c is optioned Jayco install a h frame in the roof. It's not feasible to retrofit this inside later. Suppliers will sell a frame to mount externally to support the AC , looks crap IMO but maybe better if you painted. You also need to get 240v to the roof. Think long and hard, might be easier to live with out or change vans. The other option is the split system that uses ducting under the seats or beds can't remember the name but it may have neen a Truma system?

http://caravansplus.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=8931

we have the split system in our 16.49 , unit under the seat, and outlet unit above sink, heron 2.2.
A/C works fine , never used the heating side of it. We take an oil heater away in winter.
The main unit under seat does produce a little heat but over all cools the van ok for us.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
we have the split system in our 16.49 , unit under the seat, and outlet unit above sink, heron 2.2.
A/C works fine , never used the heating side of it. We take an oil heater away in winter.
The main unit under seat does produce a little heat but over all cools the van ok for us.

Yeah the heron is the std unit but the issue with retrofitting a heron is the cabinetry. The ducted system I mentioned doesn't need any special cabinetry just room for the ducts.

The heron 2.2 works well, heating wise it uses an element not reverse cycle. I think it's a 2000w heater element.

Reactions: Colsar